Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

3 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

That’s great. I think I got 3 days SN 🤣

Youve secured a job then? That’s awesome. Get 6  -12 months of experience then get on a plane 🙏

Yeah I'm working in an ICU hence the long supernumerary period. I'm going to need it haha. I'm starting to save as soon as I start getting paid for Aus related things so as soon as it's possible we will get the ball rolling with applying and things 🙂 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Yeah I'm working in an ICU hence the long supernumerary period. I'm going to need it haha. I'm starting to save as soon as I start getting paid for Aus related things so as soon as it's possible we will get the ball rolling with applying and things 🙂 

I remember you saying now. Invaluable experience working in ICU. If you can nurse there you'll have lots of transferable skills. All the machines put me off. I did SSCU as my final placement which was enough with the NIV patients. Ratios of 1:2.  I worked on a bone marrow transplant unit when I first came to Australia and that was intense. 1:1 to 1:3 depending on acuity. I never sat down. You certainly  eam your salary as a hospital nurse. I left acute nursing because of the lack of time to provide 'care.'.....burns you out unless you 'don't care'....

You need to look after yourself in nursing. I've worked in some amazing supportive teams and others...not so amazing. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

More nursing tales….when I worked for the NHS in 2004 it was the height of MRSA/C Diff infections. I’m not sure if it’s ever got better. After months of spending my time running from one soiled patient to another…not having time to get to people therefore meaning they sat in their own corrosive diarrhoea for longer than they should, I finally threw in the towel and went to work in an aged care home. When you’re having to choose between keeping your critical post op patients alive (who should have still been in special care but the bed manager stepped them down too early due to bed crisis), sitting with a dying patient in the side room and ensuring they have timely and appropriate pain relief, counselling relatives, mentoring and supervising your student, doing the drug round, prepping and administering the IV’s, maintaining hygiene for your vulnerable bed bound infective geriatrics or prepping patients for theatre and admitting new patients to the ward, cleaning the beds and last rites….I could go on but I won’t.

I didn’t last long in the NH as it was not what I’d imagined with my rose tints on (time to provide effective and proper ‘care’) Found my path though and through those experiences you learn so much. The more diverse experience you can get the more well rounded you will be as a nurse. That’s what I love about nursing- the diversity of the role. So many potential pathways. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

I remember you saying now. Invaluable experience working in ICU. If you can nurse there you'll have lots of transferable skills. All the machines put me off. I did SSCU as my final placement which was enough with the NIV patients. Ratios of 1:2.  I worked on a bone marrow transplant unit when I first came to Australia and that was intense. 1:1 to 1:3 depending on acuity. I never sat down. You certainly  eam your salary as a hospital nurse. I left acute nursing because of the lack of time to provide 'care.'.....burns you out unless you 'don't care'....

You need to look after yourself in nursing. I've worked in some amazing supportive teams and others...not so amazing. 

Yeah, I think I'll learn a lot and if I decide to go down another path later on I will be able to take them skills anywhere I go. I'm hoping I'll settle in and stay in that field though. There was a lot of support in the ICU I had my placement on so hoping this one will be just as friendly and supportive. Definitely a different story on some wards though!

I like the 1:1 care, although it's super busy all the time I felt like I could really make a difference and give that person/people 100%.

Edited by BritChickx
  • Like 2

Just now, BritChickx said:

Yeah, I think I'll learn a lot and if I decide to go down another path later on I will be able to take them skills anywhere I go. I'm hoping I'll settle in and stay in that field though. There was a lot of support in the ICU I had my placement on so hoping this one will be just as friendly and supportive. Definitely a different story on some wards though!

I like the 1:1 care, although it's super busy all the time I felt like I could really make a difference and give that person 100%.

I think where ever you work the patients will be very lucky 

congratulaions 🎉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

More nursing tales….when I worked for the NHS in 2004 it was the height of MRSA/C Diff infections. I’m not sure if it’s ever got better. After months of spending my time running from one soiled patient to another…not having time to get to people therefore meaning they sat in their own corrosive diarrhoea for longer than they should, I finally threw in the towel and went to work in an aged care home. When you’re having to choose between keeping your critical post op patients alive (who should have still been in special care but the bed manager stepped them down too early due to bed crisis), sitting with a dying patient in the side room and ensuring they have timely and appropriate pain relief, counselling relatives, mentoring and supervising your student, doing the drug round, prepping and administering the IV’s, maintaining hygiene for your vulnerable bed bound infective geriatrics or prepping patients for theatre and admitting new patients to the ward, cleaning the beds and last rites….I could go on but I won’t.

I didn’t last long in the NH as it was not what I’d imagined with my rose tints on (time to provide effective and proper ‘care’) Found my path though and through those experiences you learn so much. The more diverse experience you can get the more well rounded you will be as a nurse. That’s what I love about nursing- the diversity of the role. So many potential pathways. 

Sounds like you had a rough time starting out! In my experience the MRSA/C diff isn't 'too' common, people pick up infections yeah but it's not excessive like it sounds like it was! There's definitely a lot of emphasis on good hygiene and use of PPE especially now with Covid in the mix. They audit everything these days, cleaning especially. I know some units can still be that bad time in terms of staffing and beds. Where do you work now in Aus? Community nursing?

7 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I think where ever you work the patients will be very lucky 

congratulaions 🎉

Thank you, lovely of you to say 😄 

• Like 1

Anybody live near Andover?  Trying to work out where the married quarters were for RAF Andover, without much success.  The base itself appears to have disappeared.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The news channels seem to be able to find plenty of people to interview who don't want to live under the Taliban. 

Sharia law wouldn't be too appealing to many. Mind you, they didn't put up much of a fight when they had the chance.

I think the family, friends and colleagues of the 70,000 Afghan  soldiers who died over the last 20 years would find this statement distateful.

Edited by FirstWorldProblems

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Anybody live near Andover?  Trying to work out where the married quarters were for RAF Andover, without much success.  The base itself appears to have disappeared.  

RAF Andover - Wikipedia

Sorry. Best I can do for you. 

I spent a few days at RAF Moreton-in-Marsh which was a WW2 airfield. MiM is still there.

Edited by Dusty Plains

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

Take a look on Facebook.  Lots of the camps have Facebook pages where you can get lots of information from/ask questions and they are full of old photos.  I’ve looked at many that I grew up on over the years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Take a look on Facebook.  Lots of the camps have Facebook pages where you can get lots of information from/ask questions and they are full of old photos.  I’ve looked at many that I grew up on over the years.

RAF Andover mentioned but nothing there.  
thanks anyway 

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

RAF Andover mentioned but nothing there.  
thanks anyway 

Oh that’s a shame.  It is the old married quarters you were looking for?

5 hours ago, newjez said:

I've heard supermarkets are running out of milk. We always keep heaps in the freezer, so I haven't noticed.

Anyone else?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/25/the-anxiety-is-off-the-scale-uk-farm-sector-worried-by-labour-shortages

I popped to Asda today and got a 4 pint bottle.  There was the usual big stack of them. 

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Oh that’s a shame.  It is the old married quarters you were looking for?

Yep.  And the location of a railway cutting that I thought was walking distance from same.

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Yep.  And the location of a railway cutting that I thought was walking distance from same.

Google earth any good 

40 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Google earth any good 

Not really.  I’m struggling to remember if it was actually Andover and not Reading.  Age catching up…

15 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I think the family, friends and colleagues of the 70,000 Afghan  soldiers who died over the last 20 years would find this statement distateful.

It took them 11 days to fold to the Taliban and today there's been a massive explosion that's killed a lot of US troops along with loads of other casualties. 

They have the Taliban now saying they are against terrorism. 

Until the Afghanies themselves want a change and fight for a change, without expecting others to bail them out, nothing will change. In fact it will get worse as it's pretty obvious the Taliban can't control anything.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

I doubt this applies to new Graduates. I've been working with a new newly qualified nurses recently and there aren't enough places in the Grad programmes for them all.

What a crazy situation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

I was listening to a program on ABC720 radio yesterday morning, and they interviewed a woman who is involved in running the Nurses Grad Program, and she said that a large part of the problem is that new Grads have to be supervised by a qualified RN for the entire program, and they were unable to recruit enough RN's into the supervisory role, even though they got paid extra to do it.  I have no idea if this is true or not, but the person did seem very dedicated to the Grad Prog and wanting to get more qualified RN's involved.

That's about the sum of it. My wife's a nurse, qualified when they had training hospitals, on the wards from day one, with training on the job and theory in short courses. By the time they were a qualified SRN they had 4 years hands on.

God knows why they moved away from that model.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's about the sum of it. My wife's a nurse, qualified when they had training hospitals, on the wards from day one, with training on the job and theory in short courses. By the time they were a qualified SRN they had 4 years hands on.

God knows why they moved away from that model.

SRN/RGN training was 3 years not 4. It was very hard work but also a lot of fun, I'm forever grateful I was able to train in the hospitals rather than uni.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, newjez said:

Surely you've seen a chemo lounge or a midwifery ward simmo. These are nurse run and led by well trained professionals. Yes they do really need a degree.

No they don't. My wife has worked in that area, running the ward and clinic for most of the time. The other nurses are nearly all UK trained, no degrees, trained just like the wife did.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

SRN/RGN training was 3 years not 4. It was very hard work but also a lot of fun, I'm forever grateful I was able to train in the hospitals rather than uni.

My wife did the same 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Yeh, I was going out with her the whole time she was training. I was at Hope Hospital nurses residence every weekend, the cleaners thought I was a doctor. She would be at work a lot and I'd stroll down after a lie in to "good morning doctor" 

UK nurses sure knew how to party when they weren't working😁.

Nothing like that here, my first job was in an IT dept at Charles Gairdner Hospital. Better facilities and bar than any UK hospital I'd seen and hardly anyone used them.

I think I remember 4 years as she went to Stepping Hill to do midwifery after her SRN. Was that another year or so?

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1