Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

14 hours ago, Toots said:

I'm putting my neck on the chopping block here     .......................  Pakistan would be one of the shitt*est countries in that whole area.

The US had to go into Pakistan to get Bin Ladan. Hot bed for terrorists.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bulya said:

Because they owned the regions and therefore the villages and forced the natives to feed them.  You need to do a little research.  Think about the girl that was shot dead this week, after refusing to cook for 15 of them four times.   

They didn't own the regions, they ruled them by force. They are brutal, as we are seeing now.

Hearts and minds is never going to beat them, has to be the Afghans themselves who want, demand and fight for change. Maybe this generation?

On 24/08/2021 at 15:47, Paul1Perth said:

Funny how the Taliban managed to survive in the mountains, living in caves all that time doesn't it?

The Taliban have never had to live like that.  They have been very well resourced by control of the opium trade (Afghanistan accounts for more than 80% of world production), plus protection racket taxes in areas they controlled plus donations from wealthy middle eastern individuals and groups who support their extreme form of Islam.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bottie said:

Western Australia needs you …

So does Tasmania!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

They didn't own the regions, they ruled them by force. They are brutal, as we are seeing now.

Hearts and minds is never going to beat them, has to be the Afghans themselves who want, demand and fight for change. Maybe this generation?

Do they? Or do the people like living like that? Serious question, as I really don't know.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Semantics.  They owned them and I don’t mean monetarily 

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Do they? Or do the people like living like that? Serious question, as I really don't know.

I think they ruled by fear 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks all 😄 good to know Australia is now a possibility!

WA have a massive recruitment campaign at the moment. $8,000 relocation package on offer if you can get in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newjez said:

The news channels seem to be able to find plenty of people to interview who don't want to live under the Taliban. 

Sharia law wouldn't be too appealing to many. Mind you, they didn't put up much of a fight when they had the chance.

On 25/08/2021 at 09:05, Toots said:

I don't remember hearing much about the Middle East/Afghanistan until about the late 1980s.  My sister lived in Israel for two years in the 70s and travelled a lot all around the Middle East and Afghanistan for work and on holiday.   She despairs at the sh*t hole it has become.  She has memories of a far different place.  Pics of Afghanistan in the 70s.

kabul.jpg

kabul1.jpg

kabul2.jpg

I've read a few books by Khaled Hosseini, kite runner was his first. Afghanistan sounded a lovely place to live before wars and the Taliban took over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

WA have a massive recruitment campaign at the moment. $8,000 relocation package on offer if you can get in.

I doubt this applies to new Graduates. I've been working with a new newly qualified nurses recently and there aren't enough places in the Grad programmes for them all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newjez said:

Well done.

Didn't know you were ex services.

Royal Regiment of Bricklayers.

Served in Germany for 7 years.

(You don't need to be)

4 hours ago, Toots said:

So does Tasmania!

Heaven help Perth if we get an outbreak of COVID … the hospitals cannot cope now …

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Bottie said:

Heaven help Perth if we get an outbreak of COVID … the hospitals cannot cope now …

We'd be screwed

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

I doubt this applies to new Graduates. I've been working with a new newly qualified nurses recently and there aren't enough places in the Grad programmes for them all.

I was speaking to a nearly qualified student nurse last week when my daughter was in hospital, no guarantee of a grad program for her. She was hopeful but nothing set in stone. 

9 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I was speaking to a nearly qualified student nurse last week when my daughter was in hospital, no guarantee of a grad program for her. She was hopeful but nothing set in stone. 

I was listening to a program on ABC720 radio yesterday morning, and they interviewed a woman who is involved in running the Nurses Grad Program, and she said that a large part of the problem is that new Grads have to be supervised by a qualified RN for the entire program, and they were unable to recruit enough RN's into the supervisory role, even though they got paid extra to do it.  I have no idea if this is true or not, but the person did seem very dedicated to the Grad Prog and wanting to get more qualified RN's involved.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Please don't think i'm detracting from any of the great nurses on here but as an observer I would have thought that nurses would be better qualified with a vocational programme of education?  Do nurses really need a degree?  Is this a result of the litigious culture of people wanting compo for everything and ambulance chasing lawyers ? and the hospital needing to limit liability? 

genuinely curious  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The news channels seem to be able to find plenty of people to interview who don't want to live under the Taliban. 

Sharia law wouldn't be too appealing to many. Mind you, they didn't put up much of a fight when they had the chance.

It's not hard to find people opposed to Pinochet. Although it's pretty easy to find people who supported him as well.

Just because you can find people who don't want the Taliban doesn't mean they don't have good underlying support.

These are not a timid people who are easily subjected. They have a history of fighting and being really good at it.

If the Taliban are in power, they must have ground support.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, newjez said:

It's not hard to find people opposed to Pinochet. Although it's pretty easy to find people who supported him as well.

Just because you can find people who don't want the Taliban doesn't mean they don't have good underlying support.

These are not a timid people who are easily subjected. They have a history of fighting and being really good at it.

If the Taliban are in power, they must have ground support.

If a group were going to chop your opposing foot and hand off if you weren't one of them, what would you choose?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-taliban-took-my-hand-and-foot-id-kill-them-all-if-i-could-hgg96frbl

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Parley said:

If a group were going to chop your opposing foot and hand off if you weren't one of them, what would you choose?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-taliban-took-my-hand-and-foot-id-kill-them-all-if-i-could-hgg96frbl

History repeats parley.

Look at Napoleon's return after his exile. It was remarkably similar to the Taliban's. Support crumbled, and the king's soldiers joined him.

Same with the Taliban.

There's strong underlying support for them. Obviously not from everyone. But it was a ridiculous idea that the west could get rid of them when so many supported them.

The best we can do now, and what we should have done twenty years ago would be to work with them and try and make the best out of a bad situation.

The west have badly read the situation in Afghanistan. Which isn't surprising as they do it all the time. 

Edited by newjez

2 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

I was listening to a program on ABC720 radio yesterday morning, and they interviewed a woman who is involved in running the Nurses Grad Program, and she said that a large part of the problem is that new Grads have to be supervised by a qualified RN for the entire program, and they were unable to recruit enough RN's into the supervisory role, even though they got paid extra to do it.  I have no idea if this is true or not, but the person did seem very dedicated to the Grad Prog and wanting to get more qualified RN's involved.

I don’t know if that’s true as I don’t work in the hospital system but I can imagine it’s an added responsibility to an already overloaded RNs workload. I’m not surprised if they decline. The system needs a massive shake up. I remember when I trained there was no such thing as a grad program. You hit the wards running. I was in charge on a late shift after about 3 months 🤣 sink or swim. Not sure what the answers are but things are quite different now based on my limited recent experiences. Older nurses are not having the time to mentor and develop the new recruits. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Please don't think i'm detracting from any of the great nurses on here but as an observer I would have thought that nurses would be better qualified with a vocational programme of education?  Do nurses really need a degree?  Is this a result of the litigious culture of people wanting compo for everything and ambulance chasing lawyers ? and the hospital needing to limit liability? 

genuinely curious  

Surely you've seen a chemo lounge or a midwifery ward simmo. These are nurse run and led by well trained professionals. Yes they do really need a degree.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I don't have any experience at the moment but otherwise I would! I want to get at least a years experience here before I get the ball rolling but by the time it comes to moving itll probably be 2-3 years. The only thing that might bring that forward is if I can get out on another WHV first.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I don’t know if that’s true as I don’t work in the hospital system but I can imagine it’s an added responsibility to an already overloaded RNs workload. I’m not surprised if they decline. The system needs a massive shake up. I remember when I trained there was no such thing as a grad program. You hit the wards running. I was in charge on a late shift after about 3 months 🤣 sink or swim. Not sure what the answers are but things are quite different now based on my limited recent experiences. Older nurses are not having the time to mentor and develop the new recruits. 

I get 6 weeks supernumerary when I start my job and then I'm taking on my own patients. I'll never be on my own though as there'll always be someone I can turn to if I get stuck.

A lot of NQN's are taking on students aswell, depending on the area of work. 

Does sound quite different there!

6 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

I get 6 weeks supernumerary when I start my job and then I'm taking on my own patients. I'll never be on my own though as there'll always be someone I can turn to if I get stuck.

A lot of NQN's are taking on students aswell, depending on the area of work. 

Does sound quite different there!

That’s great. I think I got 3 days SN 🤣

Youve secured a job then? That’s awesome. Get 6  -12 months of experience then get on a plane 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1