Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

7 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

Just got my final results back there for my last assessment - that’s me officially passed the course. Onto HNC now, bit scared about that! 

Well done xM

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

Just got my final results back there for my last assessment - that’s me officially passed the course. Onto HNC now, bit scared about that! 

Brilliant!  Well done. 

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Free Britney Spears.

I can't understand why as a mature grown woman she is not allowed to manage her own life.

Imagine if you as a grown adult could not manage your own life and your Dad was managing all your finances and every aspect of your life against your will.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

16 hours ago, simmo said:

I've been converting my old lean-to utility room into a permanent structure with a real roof and my rear security camera keeps alerting me of movement.

I just checked some footage and instead of me I can see some old geezer  😥

Getting old sucks.

Think of it as a privilege denied to many....

Older and wiser. Hopefully. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, simmo said:

I've been converting my old lean-to utility room into a permanent structure with a real roof and my rear security camera keeps alerting me of movement.

Getting old sucks.

I hear you Simmo.  I like to think I don't look too bad for my age, but then I catch sight of a reflection in a shop window as I'm passing and think "who's that old bag?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, simmo said:

Getting old sucks.

It sure does although I bet there’s plenty much older who wish they were as young as you.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I hear you Simmo.  I like to think I don't look too bad for my age, but then I catch sight of a reflection in a shop window as I'm passing and think "who's that old bag?"

We are all more beautiful in our heads as we age. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Brilliant!  Well done. 

Thank you! 

For some it's not too late to slow down the ageing process. Just exercise more....

Exercise Really Is a Fountain of Youth, New Study Shows
Here, the science-backed reason to stick to your workout schedule this week.
by BAILEY KING· 5/16/2017, 1:26 p.m.

The key to keeping your cells looking nice and young? It looks like exercise might just be the answer, my friends. As TIME reports, a new study published in Preventive Medicine found that participants who exercised most had biological aging markers that were significantly younger than their sedentary peers. Nine years younger (!!), to be exact. 

The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), followed nearly 6,000 adults over a few years, surveying their exercise habits as well as examining their telomeres, which are protein caps located at the end of DNA strands and happen to be stellar indicators of aging and health. Telomeres shrink with age, and those who have shorter telomeres are generally more likely to develop chronic disease and die sooner. But the good news: After controlling for things that could affect signs of cellular aging, like smoking, obesity, alcohol use and more, the researchers found that the study participants who exercised the most — that would be the equivalent of 30 to 40 minutes of running five days a week, so 150 to 200 minutes of vigorous exercise per week — still showed about nine fewer years of cellular aging when it came to their telomeres than those who were sedentary.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Parley said:

Free Britney Spears.

I can't understand why as a mature grown woman she is not allowed to manage her own life.

Imagine if you as a grown adult could not manage your own life and your Dad was managing all your finances and every aspect of your life against your will.

It does all seem very strange.  I don’t understand it.  How can an adult have control over another like her father does.  There are exceptions of course for vulnerable people who don’t have the capacity to make decisions for themselves but that’s clearly not her.  It seems very power controlled and not nice. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nice surprise this morning, Pixsy is a company that compares scans of your images with others on the net for free. If it finds a match and you agree that copyright is infringed, it pursues the infringer for compensation. They take 50% of what they recover, which seems pretty fair to me, as without them, I wouldn't know who was using my images. They're pursuing over 20 so far and likely I'll find more as I only joined a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from Date Paid
Pixsy June 24th 2021

Reference

002-123867

Summary

Sent To ########
Account Type PayPal
Tax Withholding Amount 7.76 USD
Amount you will receive 147.34 USD
Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

4 hours ago, Red Rose said:

For some it's not too late to slow down the ageing process. Just exercise more....

The key to keeping your cells looking nice and young? It looks like exercise might just be the answer, my friends. As TIME reports, a new study published in Preventive Medicine found that participants who exercised most had biological aging markers that were significantly younger than their sedentary peers. Nine years younger (!!), to be exact. 

The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), followed nearly 6,000 adults over a few years, surveying their exercise habits as well as examining their telomeres, which are protein caps located at the end of DNA strands and happen to be stellar indicators of aging and health. Telomeres shrink with age, and those who have shorter telomeres are generally more likely to develop chronic disease and die sooner. But the good news: After controlling for things that could affect signs of cellular aging, like smoking, obesity, alcohol use and more, the researchers found that the study participants who exercised the most — that would be the equivalent of 30 to 40 minutes of running five days a week, so 150 to 200 minutes of vigorous exercise per week — still showed about nine fewer years of cellular aging when it came to their telomeres than those who were sedentary.

I was having a walk on Mooloolaba beach front yesterday and so aware that ‘who cares on your level of exercise’ as long as you do it. Ultra fit, running along the path, fast walkers, parents with strollers, then those of us who might not be the fastest walkers, and the occasional couples who need a bit of support while out for their stroll. 

Not all of us have the time, or inclination or health to do 150/200 minutes of vigorous exercise a week, so surely it’s almost more important to encourage more people to move more, at  a personal suitable level.

Some extra fit people might laugh at my level of exercise at my age, just wait till they are in their late 70’s, and might put me off, instead of encouraging everyone to exercise at their level. the most important thing for me, is that I go out and walk almost every day, 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, ramot said:

Some extra fit people might laugh at my level of exercise at my age, just wait till they are in their late 70’s, and might put me off, instead of encouraging everyone to exercise at their level. the most important thing for me, is that I go out and walk almost every day, 

Yup! Up until 12 months ago, I speed walked for 90 minutes every day, sometimes twice a day if the mood took me. Now I'm down to 30 minutes slow walk and I'm buggered when I get home but I still make the effort to do what I can. Something is better than nothing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It does all seem very strange.  I don’t understand it.  How can an adult have control over another like her father does.  There are exceptions of course for vulnerable people who don’t have the capacity to make decisions for themselves .....

That's how it came about, apparently.  She had some kind of severe nervous breakdown and that's why the order was put in place.  

In the US, once the order is in place, it's up to the guardian to decide when the person has recovered enough, and to ask the court to rescind the order.  In other words, it's assumed that the guardian has the person's best interests at heart.    If the US media is to be believed, Britney's guardian (her Dad) knows full well that she has recovered, but he's enjoying the access to her money too much.  All he has to do is refuse to release her, and there's nothing she can do, other than go through this complicated and expensive court process.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I do find a lot of things get harder as I get older though. Not everything mind you, but I do struggle a little with my right Achilles when I run.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

53 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Yup! Up until 12 months ago, I speed walked for 90 minutes every day, sometimes twice a day if the mood took me. Now I'm down to 30 minutes slow walk and I'm buggered when I get home but I still make the effort to do what I can. Something is better than nothing.

It is frustrating how quickly you lose fitness if you don't keep it up. I'm in the same boat. Around 18 months ago I could run 10km or about an hour non stop and now i'm buggered after 1 lap of the oval.

Still I'm hoping if i persevere i'll be ably to get back to where i was.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

16 hours ago, Parley said:

Free Britney Spears.

Did you see that recent movie, had the height challenged guy from game of thrones? About stealing power of attorney in the USA. Seems like they have some funny laws over there.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Just got a message from Josh. He's just received his promotion to Sub Lieutenant this morning. Managed it in a little over 12 months since joining!

Screenshot_2021-06-25-11-43-56.jpg

Screenshot_2021-06-25-11-44-06.jpg

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 7

2 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Just got a message from Josh. He's just received his promotion to Sub Lieutenant this morning. Managed it in a little over 12 months since joining!

Well done Josh!!! Enjoy your career!

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's how it came about, apparently.  She had some kind of severe nervous breakdown and that's why the order was put in place.  

In the US, once the order is in place, it's up to the guardian to decide when the person has recovered enough, and to ask the court to rescind the order.  In other words, it's assumed that the guardian has the person's best interests at heart.    If the US media is to be believed, Britney's guardian (her Dad) knows full well that she has recovered, but he's enjoying the access to her money too much.  All he has to do is refuse to release her, and there's nothing she can do, other than go through this complicated and expensive court process.

That makes sense now.  Possibly similar here too.  When my mums dementia got really bad and she was in the care home I had several long calls with social services, it was all about deprivation of Liberty.  She was deemed unable to make any decisions for herself and I was given control over her.  I guess if she had said she didn’t want that anymore it would have been ignored as it was deemed necessary.  She wouldn’t have been capable of saying such a thing as she had no idea about any of it or what was going on but the principle is the same.  The same when someone has a court of protection order I assume. Sad for Britney.  Her parents are the ones that should be wanting to see her happy yet it seems like dad is just feeding off her. Shameful if true. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Well done Josh, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Congratulations and you must be so very proud, and you deserve to be.

My understanding is that the rank of "Lieutenant" in the Army is pronounced as "LOOtenant, whereas the Navy pronounces the officer as a LEFTenant.  Is that correct?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Congratulations and you must be so very proud, and you deserve to be.

My understanding is that the rank of "Lieutenant" in the Army is pronounced as "LOOtenant, whereas the Navy pronounces the officer as a LEFTenant.  Is that correct?

Interesting.  In the UK, I'm pretty sure it's "LEFTenant" everywhere (or more accurately, LifTENant) and LOOtenant is regarded as a vulgar Americanism.  

• Like 1

On 24/06/2021 at 03:19, simmo said:

Getting old sucks.

Considering what you have been through Simmo, be thankful that you can see yourself getting older.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Interesting.  In the UK, I'm pretty sure it's "LEFTenant" everywhere (or more accurately, LifTENant) and LOOtenant is regarded as a vulgar Americanism.  

Interesting.