Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

14 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Exactly. Often people don't care as long as it's cheap and plentiful. 

Cut down on your meat consumption (As health advice has been telling us for many years) and spend your money on the highest welfare, free range, organic meat you can afford. Tastes better. Better for the planet. Better for your health. Win win. 

There's a lot of people who rely on cheap meat, can't afford anything else.

I love meat, always have and eat some just about every day. 

You are probably too young to remember the BSE scare in the UK but loads of people got scared and stopped eating beef in particular, but all sorts of meat.

My parents loved it, meat fell in price loads, my Mums attitude was "we're in our 60's old age will get us before BSE". They both lived to 93.

12 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Nowhwere near as much as women. My clothes fit into a couple of drawers and about a third of the wardrobe. My wife has the other 3 drawers of the unit in the bedroom, another set for herself, two thirds of the wardrobe, the other wardrobe and drawers in the spare room, the two big cupboards in the hall, just for her jumpers. I installed another massive whole wall unit from Ikea in the other spare room as she said we needed more storage space. I hadn't a clue what for. 

That's now full of clothes, jackets, coats etc. I doubt a third of them fit her now but it's not worth the grief even mentioning a clearout.😁

That's you and your wife. You can't speak for all. I agree tgat people have too much stuff though. I stopped buying new clothes about 3 years ago. I buy almost everything except undies and PJs from op shops.  . 

Just now, Paul1Perth said:

There's a lot of people who rely on cheap meat, can't afford anything else.

I love meat, always have and eat some just about every day. 

You are probably too young to remember the BSE scare in the UK but loads of people got scared and stopped eating beef in particular, but all sorts of meat.

My parents loved it, meat fell in price loads, my Mums attitude was "we're in our 60's old age will get us before BSE". They both lived to 93.

No im not too young to remember.

It's a crock to say people rely on cheap meat though. Meat used to be a luxury now it's a daily meal for many. What about alternative protein sources, pulses, beans, peas....bulk out the meals and make them healthier. That's what our grandparents did. 

We only eat meat twice a week. A bag of lentils costs a few $$ and makes amazing dhals, bolgnese, cottage pie. You dont even miss the meat. Nobody needs to spend half of the grocery budget on meat. 

17 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

The UK RSPCA obviously does not have a lot to do when it comes to meat and poultry products. Sure, Australia has been exporting livestock to South East Asia and the Middle East for a number of years.  On the basis that some countries have been quite cruel when it comes to the slaughter of beasts in those countries, the live export trade in Aust. has discontinued in those countries due to the cruel slaughtering.

Notably, the errant countries of Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates have either had restrictions or cancellations from Australian producers due to the cruel slaughtering methods employed. 

None of which had any input from the RSPCA. Why? Because in those countries there is no RSPCA. 

That and it's a multi million dollar industry, employing thousands of people. When the ban came in suddenly, livestock bred for export was stuck, along with ships in freo waiting to take them. Farmers were instantly out of pocket hundreds of thousands and they had to slaughter loads of sheep here as they couldn't get enough feed for them.

From memory they couldn't even use the meat as they didn't have slaughterhouses or meat processing places nearby. Bodies went to landfill.

4 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

It's a crock to say people rely on cheap meat though. Meat used to be a luxury now it's a daily meal for many. What about alternative protein sources, pulses, beans, peas....bulk out the meals and make them healthier. That's what our grandparents did. 

We only eat meat twice a week. A bag of lentils costs a few $$ and makes amazing dhals, bolgnese, cottage pie. You dont even miss the meat. Nobody needs to spend half of the grocery budget on meat. 

You might not miss the meat, I do. It's just not the same.

10 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

That's you and your wife. You can't speak for all. I agree tgat people have too much stuff though. I stopped buying new clothes about 3 years ago. I buy almost everything except undies and PJs from op shops.  . 

I love salvos, my wife wouldn't dream of it.😆

2 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I love salvos, my wife wouldn't dream of it.😆

I know people like that. I don't understand that attitude 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You might not miss the meat, I do. It's just not the same.

Try to change. Your gut will thank you for it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I can't remember it ever being a luxury. I remember the buthcher coming round the house a couple of times a week with, have I got a good cut for you today Muriel. Their own slaughterhouse too, probably wouldn't be allowed these days. 

The butchers son was a friend of mine and the slaughterhouse near the primary school. We had a couple of school visits to see how the animals were killed and meat processed. It was amazing to see how quickly a whole cow can get changed from a living, breathing thing to cuts of meat. Lots of blood and gore of course but most kids just took it onboard as OK this is what happens.

2 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Try to change. Your gut will thank you for it. 

My guts just fine thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I know people like that. I don't understand that attitude 

Me neither.

We went on a Probus trip that included a feedlot. I had no idea what that was, but when there I was quite upset by the concept.its just not natural to me, but lots of the others on the trip were all outback farmers and saw nothing wrong with it at all, made economic sense. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

If you're not going to eat meat then don't attempt to make meat dishes with meat substitutes like lentils. I'm not a vegetarian but I prefer the taste of a vegetable lasagne to a meat lasagne any day and it's infinitely better than any meat substitute lasagne (whether that's lentils, tofu, quorn or whatever the latest plant based fad is).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

8 minutes ago, Ken said:

If you're not going to eat meat then don't attempt to make meat dishes with meat substitutes like lentils. I'm not a vegetarian but I prefer the taste of a vegetable lasagne to a meat lasagne any day and it's infinitely better than any meat substitute lasagne (whether that's lentils, tofu, quorn or whatever the latest plant based fad is).

Lentils are not a 'meat substitute' Neither is Tofu. They are proteins in their own right. Quorn is a meat substitute but of people are looking to reduce their meat consumption for whatever reason I say go for it! 

There are no 'rules' in basic recipes, you can replace foods to suit your dietary needs and palate. 

9 minutes ago, Ken said:

Same.  Far better vegetarian food around now in most cafes and restaurants.  I see America’s top 3 Michelin Star restaurant changed to fully vegetarian overnight, and now booked out for months.  People are waking up…

34 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Lentils are not a 'meat substitute' Neither is Tofu. They are proteins in their own right. Quorn is a meat substitute but of people are looking to reduce their meat consumption for whatever reason I say go for it! 

There are no 'rules' in basic recipes, you can replace foods to suit your dietary needs and palate. 

I use the term 'meat substitute' to refer to the practice of attempting to replace meat in a basic recipe with something else while trying to make it taste the same. If you're trying for a different taste or just to make it taste better to your palate then play with the recipe as much as you like - but I've yet to meet anyone who's told me they love the flavour of Quorn.

• Like 2

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

53 minutes ago, Ken said:

Call a sausage roll a sausage roll if it contains a sausage,  I went to a vegan restaurant in Sydney, the food was delicious, but to call something a prawn description when it has been made by goodness knows what to look and taste like a prawn is a nonsense. I say this as a non red meat or definitely a non sausage eater

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ken said:

I use the term 'meat substitute' to refer to the practice of attempting to replace meat in a basic recipe with something else while trying to make it taste the same. If you're trying for a different taste or just to make it taste better to your palate then play with the recipe as much as you like - but I've yet to meet anyone who's told me they love the flavour of Quorn.

I can't see the problem myself. It's just another version. I actually prefer taste of a lentil Bolognese. Less fatty and the herbs and a slow cooked pplsauce are there for flavour. The thing with quorn is it's pretty tasteless but good at taking on flavour so an excellent meat sub (for texture) in veggie dishes while providing the low fat protein. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ramot said:

Call a sausage roll a sausage roll if it contains a sausage,  I went to a vegan restaurant in Sydney, the food was delicious, but to call something a prawn description when it has been made by goodness knows what to look and taste like a prawn is a nonsense. I say this as a non red meat or definitely a non sausage eater

A veggie sausage is just that...a veggie sausage. Unless 'sausage' is a protected term? It's like burger. If I chose burger on a menu I'd expect it to say beef, chicken, fish or veggie. It describes the product not the content. 

Can't say the same for prawn though. Veggie prawn? Um no. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I can't remember it ever being a luxury. I remember the buthcher coming round the house a couple of times a week with, have I got a good cut for you today Muriel. Their own slaughterhouse too, probably wouldn't be allowed these days. 

The butchers son was a friend of mine and the slaughterhouse near the primary school. We had a couple of school visits to see how the animals were killed and meat processed. It was amazing to see how quickly a whole cow can get changed from a living, breathing thing to cuts of meat. Lots of blood and gore of course but most kids just took it onboard as OK this is what happens.

Jeezus Paul   .......................... what a bunch of unfeeling little b@stards.  I was brought up on a farm and never got used to what happened to animals.

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

A veggie sausage is just that...a veggie sausage. Unless 'sausage' is a protected term? It's like burger. If I chose burger on a menu I'd expect it to say beef, chicken, fish or veggie. It describes the product not the content. 

Can't say the same for prawn though. Veggie prawn? Um no. 

I read up the definition of a sausage, said meat based

5 minutes ago, ramot said:

I read up the definition of a sausage, said meat based

Well that’s me told! 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Nowhwere near as much as women. My clothes fit into a couple of drawers and about a third of the wardrobe. My wife has the other 3 drawers of the unit in the bedroom, another set for herself, two thirds of the wardrobe, the other wardrobe and drawers in the spare room, the two big cupboards in the hall, just for her jumpers. I installed another massive whole wall unit from Ikea in the other spare room as she said we needed more storage space. I hadn't a clue what for. 

That's now full of clothes, jackets, coats etc. I doubt a third of them fit her now but it's not worth the grief even mentioning a clearout.😁

But you have to keep them Paul, because we know that they will fit when we do finally start that diet!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

They only get a bad rap when they try and tell the rest of us how we're going wrong and what we should be doing.

I couldn't give a stuff if they chose to not eat meat. Just don't go out protesting, invading farms, dressing up and telling other people what they should be doing.

Perfectly said Paul!   My niece and her family are vegan, have been for years, and we all take that into account when it is family catering time.   She has never made a thing about it and we all agree and accept that it is personal choice what we eat and respect each others choices.  In fact she gets more angry at the Extinction campaigners than the rest of us!

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

We seem to have moved on from the light hearted IKNOWK topic of the thread - can I suggest threads are started to 'debate issues' and keep this one as it was intended.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows