Jump to content
Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

British farmers worried about the pesticides allowed in Australia but banned in the UK.

I am not sure about pesticides. There had been concern relating to the use of chlorine in the processing of poultry products exported from Australia.  The poultry is subject to a chlorine wash at the end of the process. Its a means to destroying Salmonella and other bacteria.  

UK farmers have been using chlorine wash on vegetables for years.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2021 at 20:58, Bulya said:

It’s 2021, not 1971…

Things aren't always better because they're different. Remember when it was predicted computers would stop people wasting paper? "Paperless office". Never happened.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

British farmers worried about the pesticides allowed in Australia but banned in the UK.

Quite rightly too.   I saw a programme on TV which was trying hard to justify Australia's attitude on these pesticides but even so, the best they could say was, "" we absolutely agree these pesticides are very dangerous to people and/or the environment but if we ban them, Australian farmers will go broke".  

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Things aren't always better because they're different. Remember when it was predicted computers would stop people wasting paper? "Paperless office". Never happened.

Somewhat different.  In the IT industry business stops when there’s no email.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I am not sure about pesticides. There had been concern relating to the use of chlorine in the processing of poultry products exported from Australia.  The poultry is subject to a chlorine wash at the end of the process. Its a means to destroying Salmonella and other bacteria.  

UK farmers have been using chlorine wash on vegetables for years.    

I'm pleased the UK and Aus have negotiated a trade deal but do hope this means standard improve in Australia rather than the other way around.

Image

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, simmo said:

I'm pleased the UK and Aus have negotiated a trade deal but do hope this means standard improve in Australia rather than the other way around.

Image

So do I. I would also hope that some of the standards in the UK also improve:

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/139031/salmonella-outbreak/

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simmo said:

I'm pleased the UK and Aus have negotiated a trade deal but do hope this means standard improve in Australia rather than the other way around.

Image

If only humans could cut down drastically on (cheap) meat consumption but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.  @simmo Don't get me started on animal welfare  .......... in any country.   Going by that RSPCA list things do look better in the UK but not all is good.  https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farm-map/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Somewhat different.  In the IT industry business stops when there’s no email.  

I worked in the IT industry for 30 odd years, started at Ferranti in Cheadle after uni in 82. A bit before everyone had email on their phones and computers. Work got done much more efficiently, you knew what your job was and got on with it. If your priorites needed to change your boss or someone higher would come and see you or ring.

I've seen the introduction of email, mobile phones for everyone, morning standups, agile, retrospectives, etc etc. Has it made anything better? IMO a big fat no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Toots said:

If only humans could cut down drastically on (cheap) meat consumption but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.  @simmo Don't get me started on animal welfare  .......... in any country.   Going by that RSPCA list things do look better in the UK but not all is good.  https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farm-map/

I saw a 4 corners episode a couple of weeks ago about the fashion industry. Focussed mainly on a UK guy doing really well in online fashion, problem was he was running sweatshops in the UK employing lots of what looked like Indian ladies and paying them well below what he should be. The makers of the program managed to get a job for an Indian reporter and she got footage from inside.

Most surprising thing to me though was fast throwaway cheap fashion is the second most polluting industry after mining.

If only humans (women mostly) could cut down on buying stuff they don't need.

Great news for both sides on the trade deal I reckon. Stuff the EU. Stop worrying and enjoy some good quality meat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Toots said:

If only humans could cut down drastically on (cheap) meat consumption but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.  @simmo Don't get me started on animal welfare  .......... in any country.   Going by that RSPCA list things do look better in the UK but not all is good.  https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farm-map/

The UK RSPCA obviously does not have a lot to do when it comes to meat and poultry products. Sure, Australia has been exporting livestock to South East Asia and the Middle East for a number of years.  On the basis that some countries have been quite cruel when it comes to the slaughter of beasts in those countries, the live export trade in Aust. has discontinued in those countries due to the cruel slaughtering.

Notably, the errant countries of Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates have either had restrictions or cancellations from Australian producers due to the cruel slaughtering methods employed. 

None of which had any input from the RSPCA. Why? Because in those countries there is no RSPCA. 

 

   

Edited by Dusty Plains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I worked in the IT industry for 30 odd years, started at Ferranti in Cheadle after uni in 82. A bit before everyone had email on their phones and computers. Work got done much more efficiently, you knew what your job was and got on with it. If your priorites needed to change your boss or someone higher would come and see you or ring.

I've seen the introduction of email, mobile phones for everyone, morning standups, agile, retrospectives, etc etc. Has it made anything better? IMO a big fat no.

 

We’ll agree to disagree.  Worked for RAAF then NASA, HIS, DEC, then a bunch of SME’s.  Email was transformational. We had to lock our phones into lockers at reception for many of my clients, email was always ready and waiting back in the office when required.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Quite rightly too.   I saw a programme on TV which was trying hard to justify Australia's attitude on these pesticides but even so, the best they could say was, "" we absolutely agree these pesticides are very dangerous to people and/or the environment but if we ban them, Australian farmers will go broke".  

Thought it was more about hormones in beef than pesticides? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Thought it was more about hormones in beef than pesticides? 

Agreed, but I did not want to start another rambling discussion with a particular and very opinionated poster here on PIO. But what the heck. I am the one who gets the warnings. 

It comes down to this. Australian beef and a whole host of other products are coming to the UK. Its happening. Either buy it or choose not to and consume instead horsemeat from the EU that has been a staple of EU meat products. 

An egg contains more steroid (oestrogen) than 10 kgs of hormone-enriched Australian beef.   Soy milk has way more oestrogen than hormone-enriched beef.

For Poms in Oz, and basically two thirds of the population of China, as well for the rest of us, we are not affected by consumption of Australian beef. poultry wheat, barley, wine etc. ( well maybe wine)

Its the usual Australia vs UK nonsense.

If you do not like it then don't eat it. Simple.

  

 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I saw a 4 corners episode a couple of weeks ago about the fashion industry. Focussed mainly on a UK guy doing really well in online fashion, problem was he was running sweatshops in the UK employing lots of what looked like Indian ladies and paying them well below what he should be. The makers of the program managed to get a job for an Indian reporter and she got footage from inside.

Most surprising thing to me though was fast throwaway cheap fashion is the second most polluting industry after mining.

If only humans (women mostly) could cut down on buying stuff they don't need.

Great news for both sides on the trade deal I reckon. Stuff the EU. Stop worrying and enjoy some good quality meat.

That's a bit misogynistic Paul. Men buy plenty of crap too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toots said:

If only humans could cut down drastically on (cheap) meat consumption but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.  @simmo Don't get me started on animal welfare  .......... in any country.   Going by that RSPCA list things do look better in the UK but not all is good.  https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farm-map/

Exactly. Often people don't care as long as it's cheap and plentiful. 

Cut down on your meat consumption (As health advice has been telling us for many years) and spend your money on the highest welfare, free range, organic meat you can afford. Tastes better. Better for the planet. Better for your health. Win win. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, simmo said:

I'm pleased the UK and Aus have negotiated a trade deal but do hope this means standard improve in Australia rather than the other way around.

Image

Yes they are the relevant EU standards which the UK adopted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Agreed, but I did not want to start another rambling discussion with a particular and very opinionated poster here on PIO. But what the heck. I am the one who gets the warnings. 

It comes down to this. Australian beef and a whole host of other products are coming to the UK. Its happening. Either buy it or choose not to and consume instead horsemeat from the EU that has been a staple of EU meat products. 

An egg contains more steroid (oestrogen) than 10 kgs of hormone-enriched Australian beef.   Soy milk has way more oestrogen than hormone-enriched beef.

For Poms in Oz, and basically two thirds of the population of China, as well for the rest of us, we are not affected by consumption of Australian beef. poultry wheat, barley, wine etc. ( well maybe wine)

Its the usual Australia vs UK nonsense.

If you do not like it then don't eat it. Simple.

  

 

Absolutely TV his is what I read about it

You would need to eat more than 77kg of beef from treated steers in one sitting to ingest the same estrogenic activity as you do from eating one egg, or 200kg to receive the same as from a single average serving of cabbage. According to the US-based ENOUGH Movement, tofu contains 10 million times the estrogenic activity of implanted beef, and soy flour 67.5 million times that beef’s level.

Tastes fine to me , all our visitors say how good meat is here in Oz tastes far better than in uk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Yes they are the relevant EU standards which the UK adopted.

Yes and now we are out we can improve this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of animal welfare, I have never understood why vegans get such a bad rap. Their carbon footprint must be significantly lower than the rest of us and they obviously don't contribute to a culture of cruelty with regard to the slaughter of animals. As Linda McCartney once said if all slaughterhouses were made of glass, no one would eat meat. I only wish I could be as ethical as vegans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Absolutely TV his is what I read about it

You would need to eat more than 77kg of beef from treated steers in one sitting to ingest the same estrogenic activity as you do from eating one egg, or 200kg to receive the same as from a single average serving of cabbage. According to the US-based ENOUGH Movement, tofu contains 10 million times the estrogenic activity of implanted beef, and soy flour 67.5 million times that beef’s level.

Tastes fine to me , all our visitors say how good meat is here in Oz tastes far better than in uk. 

Especially the organic stuff, and if poms could taste the biodynamic lamb from our farmers market they’d cry as it’s so bloody good.  I eat little red meat but I’ll make an exception for it.   

Edited by Bulya
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red Rose said:

On the subject of animal welfare, I have never understood why vegans get such a bad rap. Their carbon footprint must be significantly lower than the rest of us and they obviously don't contribute to a culture of cruelty with regard to the slaughter of animals. As Linda McCartney once said if all slaughterhouses were made of glass, no one would eat meat. I only wish I could be as ethical as vegans.

 

You don’t need to be vegan to be ethical but the whole meat industry needs a radical rethink. Transportation of terrified animals is the biggest cruelty IMO. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

You don’t need to be vegan to be ethical but the whole meat industry needs a radical rethink. Transportation of terrified animals is the biggest cruelty IMO. 

I don't eat meat but my husband does and he gets his beef and lamb which has been (locally) free range farmed and free of hormones.  He doesn't eat chicken and over the past few years he has cut down a lot on meat eating but he still likes his steak and lamb cutlets now and again.  

I would end up in a mental hospital if I had to work in a slaughterhouse or meat processing facility.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

That's a bit misogynistic Paul. Men buy plenty of crap too. 

Nowhwere near as much as women. My clothes fit into a couple of drawers and about a third of the wardrobe. My wife has the other 3 drawers of the unit in the bedroom, another set for herself, two thirds of the wardrobe, the other wardrobe and drawers in the spare room, the two big cupboards in the hall, just for her jumpers. I installed another massive whole wall unit from Ikea in the other spare room as she said we needed more storage space. I hadn't a clue what for. 

That's now full of clothes, jackets, coats etc. I doubt a third of them fit her now but it's not worth the grief even mentioning a clearout.😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Red Rose said:

On the subject of animal welfare, I have never understood why vegans get such a bad rap. Their carbon footprint must be significantly lower than the rest of us and they obviously don't contribute to a culture of cruelty with regard to the slaughter of animals. As Linda McCartney once said if all slaughterhouses were made of glass, no one would eat meat. I only wish I could be as ethical as vegans.

 

They only get a bad rap when they try and tell the rest of us how we're going wrong and what we should be doing.

I couldn't give a stuff if they chose to not eat meat. Just don't go out protesting, invading farms, dressing up and telling other people what they should be doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×