Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

On 13/05/2021 at 14:12, Rossmoyne said:

Brilliant news Ali.   Please pass on my congrats.   Just being nominated shows that she has been noticed and her work appreciated.   Rossy

Thanks Rossy - that's exactly how she (and we) are viewing it.  it doesn't seem that long ago that I was telling you she'd finished Uni and we were talking about applying for jobs.

• Like 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Stufftif, but an odd sighting this morning. Yesterday morning, it was 19 C at 7.30  and today, a cold snap at 13C. There is a dirt road along part of our foreshore and it was covered with hundreds of garden worms, no doubt due to the cold snap, but what was really odd, about 90% of them were stretched out diagonal to the road...😯I did not see any worms anywhere else, not even on a patch of bare ground under my poincianna tree.

Curious.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Stufftif, but an odd sighting this morning. Yesterday morning, it was 19 C at 7.30  and today, a cold snap at 13C. There is a dirt road along part of our foreshore and it was covered with hundreds of garden worms, no doubt due to the cold snap, but what was really odd, about 90% of them were stretched out diagonal to the road...😯I did not see any worms anywhere else, not even on a patch of bare ground under my poincianna tree.

Curious.

Cheers, Bobj.

You're the worm god Bobj...

• Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 13/05/2021 at 04:33, newjez said:

This sounds weird.

You sure she didn't mistake you for someone else when she asked you to give her child a lift?

Or, and this has happened to me on more than one occasion, does she have an identical twin?

It’s a nice trait that you think this way.

the school my daughter goes to has about 30 children (it’s a catholic school in the UK) only about 5 parents wait for their kids outside I wait at the bottom (younger kids ) end and she is at the top (older kids) end, although normally I now notice she waits in her car. There are very few children there with parents who have not moved over from Europe, dark hair, dark skin, European accents. I’m certainly the only one on the pick up line as Scottish/Celtic as me, red hair and the palest of pale skin.

The twin thing is a possibility I suppose. 

😎

5 minutes ago, Coxy7 said:

It’s a nice trait that you think this way.

the school my daughter goes to has about 30 children (it’s a catholic school in the UK) only about 5 parents wait for their kids outside I wait at the bottom (younger kids ) end and she is at the top (older kids) end, although normally I now notice she waits in her car. There are very few children there with parents who have not moved over from Europe, dark hair, dark skin, European accents. I’m certainly the only one on the pick up line as Scottish/Celtic as me, red hair and the palest of pale skin.

The twin thing is a possibility I suppose. 

😎

Are you being racist ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2021 at 19:30, Coxy7 said:

In a SHOCKING exchange of rudeness a few days ago, when I could drive a car, I was getting my children into the car for school when a woman came and said “can you take ******** to school?” I was taken aback. Mainly because someone could ask and trust a stranger to take their child to school. So shocked and feeling sorry for the boy I said yes. I have seen him and the mother before from a distance but that’s it.

Today the same woman walks past me, looks at my face, looks at my boot (she looked at the same boot yesterday and saw me struggling to walk with my girls in the rain) and completely blanks me, doesn’t even say hello. She then gets into HER CAR and drives off while watching me limp home, again in the rain.

There are a lot of rude people everywhere all the time but that takes the biscuit. I know I probably shouldn’t have given him a lift but I was stunned and am in general not a bad person. I would certainly never ask that of anyone who wasn’t a pretty good friend. I feel like never doing anyone a favour again! But then I remember I was rescued by 2 perfect strangers, so you gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

People shouldn’t be giving anyone a lift in lockdown. If you’re not allowed in someone else house then you’re not allowed to mix inside a small car.  I picked my son up from outside a pub last weekend.  A few of his mates needed a lift home and whilst in normal times I would have offered without question as I have always done in the past, this time I said no.  I didn’t want to say no but it’s the right thing to do.  If one of them had Covid and gave it to me then I’d be responsible for taking to work with me and on it goes. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

People shouldn’t be giving anyone a lift in lockdown. If you’re not allowed in someone else house then you’re not allowed to mix inside a small car.  I picked my son up from outside a pub last weekend.  A few of his mates needed a lift home and whilst in normal times I would have offered without question as I have always done in the past, this time I said no.  I didn’t want to say no but it’s the right thing to do.  If one of them had Covid and gave it to me then I’d be responsible for taking to work with me and on it goes. 

When I picked my son up, I didn't offer his friends a lift. Even though I know they had a five mile walk over rough terrain in failing light. I felt guilty about it, but they are very woodsy, and it's not an unusual walk for them to do. They probably would have refused because they know it was out of my way, but I felt guilty for not offering.

Now that I've nearly finished my course I am starting to look properly at how we can move over. Realistically think it might be the temp 491 visa which is meant to lead to PR. Might be able to use this site for actual visa advice next year 🤣

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Now that I've nearly finished my course I am starting to look properly at how we can move over. Realistically think it might be the temp 491 visa which is meant to lead to PR. Might be able to use this site for actual visa advice next year 🤣

Sounds like a plan but if you can qualify for a 190 it would give you more security 

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Just been listening to the latest on the  ongoing BBC/Martin Bashir saga. I've never seen the whole of that Princess of Wales interview and I never watched the one with Prince Charles and Jonathon Dimbleby.  Beats me how both Diana and Charles felt it was OK to air their marital problems to an audience of millions.  Poor Harry is just about as bad with his various interviews about his sad life prior to meeting Meghan.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Toots said:

Just been listening to the latest on the  ongoing BBC/Martin Bashir saga. I've never seen the whole of that Princess of Wales interview and I never watched the one with Prince Charles and Jonathon Dimbleby.  Beats me how both Diana and Charles felt it was OK to air their marital problems to an audience of millions.  Poor Harry is just about as bad with his various interviews about his sad life prior to meeting Meghan.  

I can't get my head around how showing someone a forged bank statement makes them agree to do a TV interview (and why wasn't there an insistence on the bank statements being shown as part of the interview if they were so important). Mind you there was that woman who got lots of TV coverage for showing a forged bank transfer to the people from the TV show the Block.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

I still feel for Harry though despite all of his faults.

Not many of us can relate to losing our Mum at 12 years of age. It must be devastating.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Parley said:

Not many of us can relate to losing our Mum at 12 years of age. It must be devastating.

Lots of people have had bl—-dy awful/sad  upbringings, ok not in the public eye. You can make the decision to sink or swim, as you grow up  and I was never going to sink, but it wasn’t easy. Certainly didn’t have any family money to help. What do you achieve by publicly airing all the mistakes your parents or single parent  might have made, because of the unforeseen circumstances they might have found themselves in, and had to make the best life possible for the family. Does blaming them really help?

not intending this to become a Notting Hill, as in the  film,  moment, when they all had to outdo their sob story

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Josh has just completed phase two of his Officer Training. Only one more to complete. He should be commissioned before years end. He's come a long way since making brownies 😃

44349844074_9d919df1ab_o.thumb.jpg.c28aa2895e620432f39a5e3252b74306.jpg174641252_1983137501834826_473869165754403292_n.thumb.jpg.50da6733a9ef3b7e364144d5ba6cb7a1.jpg

Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 9
  • Congratulations 3

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Posted (edited)

My Winnipeg Jets have taken 2-0 (Best out of 7) game lead in the North Division playoff series (NHL). We were considered the underdogs by many going into the series, however we have been shutting down Edmonton's main offensive lines by clogging up the main openings and shutting down the McDavid line hard. So far the strategy is working and I am elated.

GO JETS GO!

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Congratulations 1

On 21/05/2021 at 17:50, ramot said:

Lots of people have had bl—-dy awful/sad  upbringings, ok not in the public eye. You can make the decision to sink or swim, as you grow up  and I was never going to sink, but it wasn’t easy. Certainly didn’t have any family money to help. What do you achieve by publicly airing all the mistakes your parents or single parent  might have made, because of the unforeseen circumstances they might have found themselves in, and had to make the best life possible for the family. Does blaming them really help?

not intending this to become a Notting Hill, as in the  film,  moment, when they all had to outdo their sob story

I admire his honesty. Regardless of circumstances or privilege suffering is suffering. I don't think we need to make it into a competition about who's suffering is more valid. We're told to talk about our pain. Share our stories. He's well.plaved to do so and I believe his motives are pure and driven by experience. Stiff upper lip is an outdated attitude thats caused untold damage to many members of his family and others. He's breaking a centuries long cycle of dysfunction. I commend him on his bravery. 

• Like 3

On 21/05/2021 at 16:48, Parley said:

Indeed. He's been bought up to mask his emotions and it's caused him untold pain. It hit home when he said something recently about 'walking behind my mums coffin showing one tenth of the emotion everyone else was showing, this was my mum, youve never met her'. How that must have cut and confused a young child....

• Like 3

On 21/05/2021 at 16:20, Toots said:

The right to reply is a strong driving force when your every move is analysed, critiqued and judged by Joe public. Those in glass houses. 

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2021 at 10:50, ramot said:

It's more than that.

My generation were left to get on with it. I went out to play on the weekend. I came home when I got hungry or got dark. If I fell over I got up. I fought my own battles. My victories were mine, my loses were mine. But I knew how to win, and I knew what losing was.

The younger generation are 'special'. They never learnt to lose. Everyone won. They got picked up if they fell down. They got kisses and cuddles. They were told they were special, they could be anything, the world was there's.

I was brought up to deal with the real world. 

This generation weren't. The real world is a bit of a shock to them. We haven't done them any favours by protecting them. They have a lot more issues than us.

My generation have their fare share of mental health issues, but we also were brought up to deal with it. Maybe not on purpose, but we knew what we were getting into.

This generation don't, and it's no surprise they are having troubles with mental distress. They need to talk about it and rationalize it. 

I think Harry is doing the right thing. If he can save just one teenage suicide then that is great.

Edited by newjez

14 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I admire his honesty. Regardless of circumstances or privilege suffering is suffering. I don't think we need to make it into a competition about who's suffering is more valid. We're told to talk about our pain. Share our stories. He's well.plaved to do so and I believe his motives are pure and driven by experience. Stiff upper lip is an outdated attitude thats caused untold damage to many members of his family and others. He's breaking a centuries long cycle of dysfunction. I commend him on his bravery. 

Certainly a dysfunctional family in many ways.

Both Harry and Meghan are distancing themselves from their families.  That can't be a good thing either.  Apart from her mother, Meghan had no other family members attend her wedding to Harry.  They both come across as two very angry people.  Let's hope the councelling they both appear to be receiving helps them reach a much happier place in their lives.

24 minutes ago, Toots said:

Both Harry and Meghan are distancing themselves from their families.  That can't be a good thing either.  Apart from her mother, Meghan had no other family members attend her wedding to Harry.  They both come across as two very angry people.  Let's hope the councelling they both appear to be receiving helps them reach a much happier place in their lives.

Perhaps sometimes  it’s better to concentrate on the now, rather than the past. Now should be a special family time,  ‘Happily married’ with one child and another expected soon, bitter vibes aren’t helpful for the family environment, and certainly not helpful to anyone heavily pregnant, so seems a strange time to be making these programs that are almost guaranteed to cause family stress, which must surely rebound on them.

44 minutes ago, Toots said:

Disagree. Sometimes distance from toxic people who you happen to be remsted to is just the ticket for a peaceful life. They aren't the first and won't be the last to escape the firm for the sake of their sanity. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ramot said:

Perhaps sometimes  it’s better to concentrate on the now, rather than the past. Now should be a special family time,  ‘Happily married’ with one child and another expected soon, bitter vibes aren’t helpful for the family environment, and certainly not helpful to anyone heavily pregnant, so seems a strange time to be making these programs that are almost guaranteed to cause family stress, which must surely rebound on them.

Brush it under the carpet you mean? Maybe they find speaking their truth to be a therapeutic thing? Using their platform to raise awareness of the value of open communication. Nothing worse than the elephant in the room and playing happy families to keep up appearances. Now tgat leads to bitterness. Call a spade a spade and move on in peace with good intentions and an open heart.  Never a 'good time' to face your demons. Fair play to them. 

Edited by HappyHeart

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Brush it under the carpet you mean? Maybe they find speaking their truth to be a therapeutic thing? Using their platform to raise awareness of the value of open communication. Nothing worse than the elephant in the room and playing happy families to keep up appearances. Now tgat leads to bitterness. Call a spade a spade and move on in peace with good intentions and an open heart.  Never a 'good time' to face your demons. Fair play to them. 

No I didn’t mean that, and I’m certainly not getting into an argument about my post, I’m allowed to post without being shot down, because of how it was interpreted. 

Edited by ramot

29 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

They aren't the first and won't be the last to escape the firm for the sake of their sanity. 

Really?

Curious now - who else has escaped the royal family for the sake of their sanity?