Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

I would always go for brick. Weatherboard is too high maintenance.

In Melbourne the weatherboard houses were all built in the 50s and 60s. All new houses are brick. At least in the suburbs where i live. Maybe in the bush it is different.

I want it all, and I want it now.

14 hours ago, newjez said:

There is a house in Brighton that is painted like a fresian cow. It's certainly not like everyone else.

I have heard about that house.... Taking different a bit too far perhaps!

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

I have heard about that house.... Taking different a bit too far perhaps!

There used to be one with a shark in the roof too. I think that was Oxford.

Edited by newjez

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 01/05/2021 at 07:36, Toots said:

Two of the little weatherboards in our street  ............  circa 1910.

066.JPG

067.JPG

Superb, I have a totally wooden Swedish house now, they last for hundreds of years if maintained. 

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 25/04/2021 at 22:45, Marisawright said:

They haven’t got past the over-70s yet

I am 38 and have had both jabs. just text from my doctors surgery and had the second last Monday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I saw the show ‘We come from away’ today. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s the story of how a town in Newfoundland coped with the influx of thousands of passengers when planes were diverted there on 9/11. It’s a really clever show, single set, 12 actors, draws you in from the start,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramot said:

I saw the show ‘We come from away’ today. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s the story of how a town in Newfoundland coped with the influx of thousands of passengers when planes were diverted there on 9/11. It’s a really clever show, single set, 12 actors, draws you in from the start,

I haven't seen the show but heard a really interesting conversation Richard Fidler had with a female airline pilot who was diverted to Gander in Newfoundland during that  event and whose  story is featured in the musical.   It was recorded in 2019, is 47 minutes long, and can be downloaded on podcast here:

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/beverley-bass-rpt/12240680

• Like 3

We came back from Sydney on Monday. Had a contract tracing text today, so for any doubters the tracing system works! So far didn’t visit any of the places, except had a slight initial panic, as we did go to see the film the Courier at Bondi Junction, but it was the previous Friday!!! My husband thinks I am over cautious, sanitising keeping a bit of space from people and checking in everywhere, but I know I am being sensible to avoid unnecessary risks.

• Like 3

iknowcb... I've been offered a position as a cardiac ICU nurse! Just need to finish the last leg of uni and pass everything 🤞 The goal of moving to Aus is getting closer in sight, just need to get a bit of experience first. 

• Congratulations 7

1 hour ago, BritChickx said:

iknowcb... I've been offered a position as a cardiac ICU nurse! Just need to finish the last leg of uni and pass everything 🤞 The goal of moving to Aus is getting closer in sight, just need to get a bit of experience first. 

Well done Stacy!!  😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritChickx said:

Well done and well deserved M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritChickx said:

You’ll get snapped up in jo time with ICU experience. Good job Stacy 🙏

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

You’ll get snapped up in jo time with ICU experience. Good job Stacy 🙏

Ah thats good to know 😁 and thank you! Its tough going but I really do like the ICU setting. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 02:48, HappyHeart said:

You read my mind. Agree with avoidance of safe light grey..Too samey.  My preferred option was very like the pic you added. Ironstone which is a darker blue grey with white trim and timber posts to patio. 

We've gone back and forth so much.....now choosing a mid grey. Still not certain though. To suit the interior flow and also to avoid excess fading in the sun. 

90cb2d342d76b3d43cb1c725b149ec8d.jpg

bc2019b162a6f13527e43c28d7e8a235.jpg

Have to admit, they are both good looking houses. I guess a lot depends on the house and the grounds it is located in.

On 05/05/2021 at 10:01, Parley said:

I would always go for brick. Weatherboard is too high maintenance.

In Melbourne the weatherboard houses were all built in the 50s and 60s. All new houses are brick. At least in the suburbs where i live. Maybe in the bush it is different.

It is. 

So we chose our colours and locked everything in today. We went for a grey/blue that was the original choice! Went all round the houses and went back to the drawing board in the end. Super happy with our choices and looking forward to seeing it come together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are about to upgrade the Interior of our house, We have timber floors, stained timber windows and matching architraves and variations of white/grey on our interior walls.

We like the timber theme. Not the honey brown timber theme throughout but something that shows a nice, flat cedar shade. Looking at several colour charts that come with pictorial examples of grey walls with white skirting and white architraves as the theme, is just awful. I think that if you have timber then show it off.

In years to come I think the world will look back on grey houses inside and out and wonder what we were ever thinking.

We like Hog Bristle for bathroom areas with black or grey trim tiles (but less grey) and also Beige Royal for interior walls. All architraves will be 4 coats of cedar stain and varnish. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

We are about to upgrade the Interior of our house, We have timber floors, stained timber windows and matching architraves and variations of white/grey on our interior walls.

We like the timber theme. Not the honey brown timber theme throughout but something that shows a nice, flat cedar shade. Looking at several colour charts that come with pictorial examples of grey walls with white skirting and white architraves as the theme, is just awful. I think that if you have timber then show it off.

In years to come I think the world will look back on grey houses inside and out and wonder what we were ever thinking.

We like Hog Bristle for bathroom areas with black or grey trim tiles (but less grey) and also Beige Royal for interior walls. All architraves will be 4 coats of cedar stain and varnish. 

Sounds nice. I prefer warm colours. We've gone black and and white white tiles in bathroom with timber (look) cabinetry. A warmer white on the walls. A lovely NZ Wool carpet in beds in a warm 'greige' and timber to feature heavily wherever we can  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Sounds nice. I prefer warm colours. We've gone black and and white white tiles in bathroom with timber (look) cabinetry. A warmer white on the walls. A lovely NZ Wool carpet in beds in a warm 'greige' and timber to feature heavily wherever we can  

We've always had wool. We tried that polyester stuff that you can bleach this time. It's ok, but wool is better. 

I always wanted black and white tiles but couldn't convince the missus.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newjez said:

Have to admit, they are both good looking houses. I guess a lot depends on the house and the grounds it is located in.

It’s on a half acre ‘rural residential’ block. Not double storey and grand like the pics but will do for us! 

How come everyone else is a chatter box and I'm only a member?

I want it all, and I want it now.

I had a ridiculous freak accident today where a car ended up rolling on top of me. 

It rolled over my right foot, left thigh then I got wedged under it between the front wheel and the road, my right foot I think was stuck under the passenger wheel. I was safe for a minute and then I could feed the car creeping again and crushing my chest and it was getting harder to breathe. 

My 2 lovely daughters saw all of this and they were screaming and screaming. That was the most horrible thing of all. 

After maybe 2 minutes of being stuck I felt the weight being lifted and a stranger and my husband dragged me out. 2 strangers / rescue angels had pushed the car off me. 

I cannot weight bear at all on my right foot and I cannot hop because of my left thigh. I thought to phone for an ambulance but they actually said because there are no bones protruding or blood I should go online and seek advice from their website. 

So I phoned NHS 24, didn't go online. Where I live, in the whole county, they don't have an X-ray machine at the weekend, clearly you have to plan your emergencies in office hours. No amount of private health care would change this. So tomorrow I have an appointment for an X-ray in another county, 1.5 HR drive. I don't live in a village I live in a well populated town. 

I am in excruciating pain. I can't take ibuprofen or any anti inflammatory because of stomach problems and I am struggling to understand. 

I can have an ambulance or a doctor or at least a pain killer for a patient or resident for a much lesser injury in pretty much an hour maybe 2. It has now been 7 hours and I know no one is coming to see me. Where I live is not a covid hot-spot, 68 people in hospital in Scotland with covid, zero deaths. I'm worried the injury will get worse or something bad will happen with all this time. I'm a mental health nurse, I don't work in surgical or anything so this is not really my thing. I know first aid so at work I do first aid and call an ambulance. 

Maybe I'm overreacting but just since the pain got so bad I don't know how to cope and if it's broken it'll take months to heal. 

Sorry, feeling a bit sorry for myself. But I'M STILL GOING TO MAKE IT TO Oz! 

• Sad 4

good grief - that sounds awful.  Very scary I would imagine. 

fingers crossed for you that nothing is broken and you recover ASAP. 

• Like 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

5 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

good grief - that sounds awful.  Very scary I would imagine. 

fingers crossed for you that nothing is broken and you recover ASAP. 

You know, it went over my foot and I thought "that's broke" but I didn't feel it, it went over my leg and I was like "this is getting bad" then when I was trapped I thought "it's finally stopped" until I was struggling to breathe then I thought "I'm going to die" but it was OK, because although upset (and potentially emotionally scarred) my daughters were standing on the pavement uninjured and I had gone through all of this to save one of them from an accident and I'd do it again. 

But I'm obviously very glad I didn't die and I survived being run over with just a foot and thigh injury. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Coxy7 said:

I had a ridiculous freak accident today where a car ended up rolling on top of me. 

It rolled over my right foot, left thigh then I got wedged under it between the front wheel and the road, my right foot I think was stuck under the passenger wheel. I was safe for a minute and then I could feed the car creeping again and crushing my chest and it was getting harder to breathe. 

My 2 lovely daughters saw all of this and they were screaming and screaming. That was the most horrible thing of all. 

After maybe 2 minutes of being stuck I felt the weight being lifted and a stranger and my husband dragged me out. 2 strangers / rescue angels had pushed the car off me. 

I cannot weight bear at all on my right foot and I cannot hop because of my left thigh. I thought to phone for an ambulance but they actually said because there are no bones protruding or blood I should go online and seek advice from their website. 

So I phoned NHS 24, didn't go online. Where I live, in the whole county, they don't have an X-ray machine at the weekend, clearly you have to plan your emergencies in office hours. No amount of private health care would change this. So tomorrow I have an appointment for an X-ray in another county, 1.5 HR drive. I don't live in a village I live in a well populated town. 

I am in excruciating pain. I can't take ibuprofen or any anti inflammatory because of stomach problems and I am struggling to understand. 

I can have an ambulance or a doctor or at least a pain killer for a patient or resident for a much lesser injury in pretty much an hour maybe 2. It has now been 7 hours and I know no one is coming to see me. Where I live is not a covid hot-spot, 68 people in hospital in Scotland with covid, zero deaths. I'm worried the injury will get worse or something bad will happen with all this time. I'm a mental health nurse, I don't work in surgical or anything so this is not really my thing. I know first aid so at work I do first aid and call an ambulance. 

Maybe I'm overreacting but just since the pain got so bad I don't know how to cope and if it's broken it'll take months to heal. 

Sorry, feeling a bit sorry for myself. But I'M STILL GOING TO MAKE IT TO Oz! 

Couldn't you have gone to the ER unit at your local hospital?  Even if there isn't an X-ray machine, a doctor could have examined your poor foot and thigh.  Sounds awful for you.  Fingers crossed everything is OK for you.  Some people here turn up at the local ER unit for daft, minor things.  Time wasters really but it sounds as if you really need a doc to have a good look at you.

• Like 1