Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

11 hours ago, newjez said:

I remember doing that at school.

I don't remember it being camp.

I was one of the boys with stitches in their britches. I remember fancying the girl whose face I put the powder onto. But I can't remember her name. It was over 45 years ago.

Did you recognise Baldrick in the video ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

11 hours ago, newjez said:

Makes it look a bit gloomy. But it's down to personal taste. With our flooring we tried over a dozen samples before selecting one that had no sample. Just liked the pictures, which is dangerous as floors don't photograp well. I love it, but I do regret not going with bamboo.

Are there other weatherboard houses you can drive around to look at. You can always knock on their door if you find one you like 

Trust me I've done heaps of research. I'm just the world's most indecisive person. It's nearly in the bag. I think. Got till next Fri to decide. I'm keen on a dark blue/grey and the roof will be light which helps the solar passive element. More interested in warmth in winter as it's a cooler area so built to allow the winter Sun in and keep summer sun out....That's the idea anyway, we shall see. The majority of homes in the area are timber frame weatherboard style. 

On 29/04/2021 at 23:26, HappyHeart said:

Weatherboard Cladding. 

There are some lovely weatherboard houses around out streets.  Lots of character and some of them date back to the late 1800s.  The owners over the years have kept them in tip top condition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toots said:

There are some lovely weatherboard houses around out streets.  Lots of character and some of them date back to the late 1800s.  The owners over the years have kept them in tip top condition.

I just love them. They're my dream home. Ours won't be so grand but hopefully we will inject plenty of character. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I just love them. They're my dream home. Ours won't be so grand but hopefully we will inject plenty of character. 

Two of the little weatherboards in our street  ............  circa 1910.

066.JPG

067.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Two of the little weatherboards in our street  ............  circa 1910.

066.JPG

067.JPG

Very cute. The top one looks a pale grey although it could be white. @HappyHeart a very light grey is the colour I’d go for.  

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Very cute. The top one looks a pale grey although it could be white. @HappyHeart a very light grey is the colour I’d go for.  

I know everyone keeps saying that....I do like it but I don't want the same as everyone else either....

On 01/05/2021 at 12:26, HappyHeart said:

I know everyone keeps saying that....I do like it but I don't want the same as everyone else either....

It's your home. Do what feels right for you.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

H? Really? Was that the best they could do? Game of thrones all over again.

12 hours ago, newjez said:

It's your home. Do what feels right for you.

If it was that easy I'd have decided by now 😂

45 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

If it was that easy I'd have decided by now 😂

Does your husband have an opinion or get a say ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Actually we have collaborated throughout and where I couldn't make a decision he got final say. He was surprisingly involved and helpful with tile and cabinetry choices. Enjoyed it! He chose the rainwater tank colour and put his foot down when I was indecisive. I let him have that one....he also chose grout colour because who cares about shades of grout?! Not me! Luckily we have exactly the same tastes (or very similar) bonus!! 

He did glaze over yesterday when we were doing feature wall paint colours though 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Actually we have collaborated throughout and where I couldn't make a decision he got final say. He was surprisingly involved and helpful with tile and cabinetry choices. Enjoyed it! He chose the rainwater tank colour and put his foot down when I was indecisive. I let him have that one....he also chose grout colour because who cares about shades of grout?! Not me! Luckily we have exactly the same tastes (or very similar) bonus!! 

He did glaze over yesterday when we were doing feature wall paint colours though 😂

I'm actually a big fan of wallpaper. Not everywhere, just the odd wall, but the effect can be brilliant.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

My wife wanted to be an architect, but she wasn't allowed to do tech drawing because she was a girl. Shame because she is very good. She's designed our last two builds and has done countless mock ups for potential buys. I've told her she can do it for a living when the kids move out, but I'm not living in another conversion.

She reckons she can make money from it and I believe her. She always has final say. She has a much better eye than me both for structural and superficial changes. I offer advice which she sometimes takes, but it's her thing.

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Oh God, don't discount the grout 😀 ! We made the mistake of putting light grey grout in the laundry and bathrooms, dark grey would have been so much better in a hills house with dogs.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 19:26, HappyHeart said:

Perhaps really personalise it with an amazingly brilliantly bright front door!   My Godson, who lives in Margaret River, said that when they built their house, they didn't want to be the same as everyone else and kept the medium grey to the roof, gutters, front door, but painted the outside house walls a soft purple/dark mauve.   It looks fabulous.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

23 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Oh God, don't discount the grout 😀 ! We made the mistake of putting light grey grout in the laundry and bathrooms, dark grey would have been so much better in a hills house with dogs.

I cant even remember what colour it is other than that it complements the tile choices. Such a non issue for me...That tells you something about the state of my existing  grout 🙈😂

5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I cant even remember what colour it is other than that it complements the tile choices. Such a non issue for me...That tells you something about the state of my existing  grout 🙈😂

Ours is Jasmine, but I'm colour blind so it means little to me. It's basically off white.

We have grey tiles in the upstairs bathroom, grey carpets in lounge and bedroom, oak flooring, white walls. Mainly because we did everything at once and it was for simplicity. We have started to put a few feature walls in. Downstairs bathroom is a shade of brown. I wanted grey like the upstairs, but was overruled. Grey would have looked better.

We do have a wood burner. It's mainly for emergency use and for Christmas. We don't use it much, but it is nice.

7 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Perhaps really personalise it with an amazingly brilliantly bright front door!   My Godson, who lives in Margaret River, said that when they built their house, they didn't want to be the same as everyone else and kept the medium grey to the roof, gutters, front door, but painted the outside house walls a soft purple/dark mauve.   It looks fabulous.

There is a house in Brighton that is painted like a fresian cow. It's certainly not like everyone else.

On 01/05/2021 at 21:26, HappyHeart said:

Light gray is too safe!    One problem is that even exterior colours are strongly influenced by fashion.   

When we lived in Sydney, I used to be enchanted by all the lovely Blue Mountains weatherboard homes, painted in a lovely soft duck-egg(?) blue with crisp white trims.   I went Googling to find some examples and couldn't find any!  Now it's all whites and grays and even blacks.  

I do like the purple but only if there's plenty of contrasting trim, otherwise I think it would be overwhelming.

14f5e5d84fadb92cda6ed182444f6c5a.jpg

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

The downside of choosing some colour scheme that is unusual and not like any other houses is if you are trying to sell.

Buyers may be put-off by an unusual colour scheme.

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Light gray is too safe!    One problem is that even exterior colours are strongly influenced by fashion.   

When we lived in Sydney, I used to be enchanted by all the lovely Blue Mountains weatherboard homes, painted in a lovely soft duck-egg(?) blue with crisp white trims.   I went Googling to find some examples and couldn't find any!  Now it's all whites and grays and even blacks.  

I do like the purple but only if there's plenty of contrasting trim, otherwise I think it would be overwhelming.

I’d own that!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The colours you choose for trim are important I think, also whether you add a verandah or porch plus good landscaping makes a helluva difference to the overall result.  Near us there are 4 what were once weatherboard workers cottages - all basically the same simple design but recent owners have made them look individual just with the different finishing touches they've used on each one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You read my mind. Agree with avoidance of safe light grey..Too samey.  My preferred option was very like the pic you added. Ironstone which is a darker blue grey with white trim and timber posts to patio. 

We've gone back and forth so much.....now choosing a mid grey. Still not certain though. To suit the interior flow and also to avoid excess fading in the sun. 

90cb2d342d76b3d43cb1c725b149ec8d.jpg

bc2019b162a6f13527e43c28d7e8a235.jpg

I would always go for brick. Weatherboard is too high maintenance.

In Melbourne the weatherboard houses were all built in the 50s and 60s. All new houses are brick. At least in the suburbs where i live. Maybe in the bush it is different.