Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

I do love British cheese.

Just had a ploughman's with a lovely piece of cheddar.

Now you're probably thinking cheddar? That's nothing special. But when you get a really good cheddar, it's hard to beat.

• Like 4

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

11 hours ago, Parley said:

How do the English ones go, I know there's a monkey and a gorilla in there somewhere ?

I remember the english silver threepences being called 'Christmas coins' due to the fact that many were put into christmas pud. That was late 40s to early 50s.

A bit naughty, but what the heck, as kids in the 1950s in the UK, we would look for 'onalulu' pennies. The trident of Britannia would rest in her crotch...Most pennies had the trident against her thigh...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bobj said:

I remember the english silver threepences being called 'Christmas coins' due to the fact that many were put into christmas pud. That was late 40s to early 50s.

A bit naughty, but what the heck, as kids in the 1950s in the UK, we would look for 'onalulu' pennies. The trident of Britannia would rest in her crotch...Most pennies had the trident against her thigh...

Cheers, Bobj.

My mum used to talk about the excitement of who would be lucky enough to find the coin in the Christmas pudding.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

My mum used to talk about the excitement of who would be lucky enough to find the coin in the Christmas pudding.

We used to do it when we were kids in England.

I think my Mum put threepence in both mine and my brother's pudding after it was already in our bowl.

A guaranteed winner every time.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I think my Mum put threepence in both mine and my brother's pudding after it was already in our bowl.

I remember my little brother swallowing a five cents piece, and my mum fishing it out of his nappy with relish, calling it the sixpence in the Christmas pudding. I'm not sure how we survived if I'm honest.

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Posted (edited)

Some serious spamming going on in the Visa Chat section. Hopefully a mod spots it soon. 

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Some serious spamming going on in the Visa Chat section. Hopefully a mod spots it soon. 

Did you report it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Did you report it?

I notified Cal, but couldn't find the report button.

• Like 2

At the top of the post on the right hand side there is a sideways V type icon, that when you hover over it a 'report post' comes up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sent in several reports.  I'm sure one of the mods or admin will deal with it when they get the chance.

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

16 hours ago, newjez said:

It's been over a year since I've used actual money. I dare say they will get rid of it soon.

Its a bit different in Uk.

I think a monkey is slang for £500

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Well done mum.  I wonder if many did that, just think of the sibling arguments it would save. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newjez said:

It's been over a year since I've used actual money. I dare say they will get rid of it soon.

I'm sure the banks and maybe the government would like that. Personally I hope it never happens, I still use cash a lot and always carry some.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

I notified Cal, but couldn't find the report button.

Thank you guys.. unfortunately i had to work from early hours today and have only just got home. Admin managed to get it all i think but your reports are appreciated.

Cal x

• Like 3

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

16 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Well done mum.  I wonder if many did that, just think of the sibling arguments it would save. 

I can still remember my mum sterilising the coins in a saucepan of boiling water so they were safe to use.

I think they must have been sixpences as I just remembered threepences were those odd shaped brass things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

I can still remember my mum sterilising the coins in a saucepan of boiling water so they were safe to use.

I think they must have been sixpences as I just remembered threepences were those odd shaped brass things.

There were old silver thrupenny bits that my Mum kept specially for Christmas puddings.  I think they went out of circulation in the 50s?

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

There were old silver thrupenny bits that my Mum kept specially for Christmas puddings.  I think they went out of circulation in the 50s?

My Mum did the same.  Wonder what happened to the silver thrupenny coins she used.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Silver thrupenny bits were minted until 1919. Silver sixpences continued to be minted (until 1967 plus some collectors coins in 1970) but from 1920 the silver content was changed from 925 fine silver to 500 fine silver (meaning a reduction in the silver content from 92.5% to 50%). I don't know if the reduced silver content was bad for Christmas puddings or not, but perhaps your Mum was wise to be cautious and to keep on using the pre-1919 coinage!

"those odd shaped brass things" were introduced in 1937 but silver thrupenny bits were still in circulation alongside them.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

On 06/04/2021 at 08:43, newjez said:

Is pressure coming off the ICU? The numbers are looking positive, but is that having an effect on the factory floor?

So ive finished my first week. No covid patients! They said its been a few weeks, hopefully stays that way. Obviously they have regular ICU patients which is still sucky though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

#DOGECOIN is at $0.46

Independent (Subclass 189) IELTS 17/5/14 - L 8.5 - R 8.0 - W 8.0 - S 9.0 / VETASSESS Training and Employment Check 1/4/14 - Successful / Bench Joinery VETASSESS Technical Interview - 28/07/2014 (Kent) - Successful 04/08/2014 / EOI - 06/08/2014 / Invite for VISA - 29/08/2014 / Medicals 13/09/2014 / VISA Granted - 28/10/2014 Landed In Brisbane - 29/04/2015 Citizenship Application Submitted - 17/04/2021

3 hours ago, Jack91 said:

#DOGECOIN is at $0.46

Incredible. Do you have any ? We talk crypto in the bitcoin thread.

M&S are now selling some major labels like Hobbs, Seasalt and Jaeger but they don't seem to be available on the Aus website and there seems to be no way of ordering from UK website with delivery to Aus.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Incredible. Do you have any ? We talk crypto in the bitcoin thread.

Yeah - 13k now. Sold 5k to make my investment and a bit back. It'll hit $2 in 6 months I reckon. If coinbase or paypal jump on the bangwagon in the US anyways. 

• Like 1

Independent (Subclass 189) IELTS 17/5/14 - L 8.5 - R 8.0 - W 8.0 - S 9.0 / VETASSESS Training and Employment Check 1/4/14 - Successful / Bench Joinery VETASSESS Technical Interview - 28/07/2014 (Kent) - Successful 04/08/2014 / EOI - 06/08/2014 / Invite for VISA - 29/08/2014 / Medicals 13/09/2014 / VISA Granted - 28/10/2014 Landed In Brisbane - 29/04/2015 Citizenship Application Submitted - 17/04/2021