Jump to content
Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Too common here and there unfortunately. Not sure what the cause or answer is....

Good opportunity to have a chat about MH and expressing your feelings with your boys? You probably already do that... It's good to talk. Sometimes they don't want a bar of it but knowing you're there and will just listen is so important.

Hope the young man gets the help and support he needs. Just tragic. 

It is, but MHS here are woefully inadequate and there seems to be little attempt to address the pressures on young people from a  education system obsessed with exam success at the expense of all else, the feeling of failure that young people feel from the pressure that creates and the cyber bullying that is rife and now an added pressure about what kind of future they can expect as education and career prospects collapse.

All of this at a time when in the private therapy world there is spare capacity, but òf course the govt decrees that only those trained in brief therapy techniques can be employed in the NHS and cannot require privatised schools to spend their money on counselling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It is, but MHS here are woefully inadequate and there seems to be little attempt to address the pressures on young people from a  education system obsessed with exam success at the expense of all else, the feeling of failure that young people feel from the pressure that creates and the cyber bullying that is rife and now an added pressure about what kind of future they can expect as education and career prospects collapse.

All of this at a time when in the private therapy world there is spare capacity, but òf course the govt decrees that only those trained in brief therapy techniques can be employed in the NHS and cannot require privatised schools to spend their money on counselling.

I can't comment on the MH system for young people in UK as had no experience of it but there are issues here too. I'd say the state school system is lacking. My daughter knew 2 girls who suicided. One at her secondary school and the aftercare was lacking for those affected. One in her older years. 

The private school system here offers robust pastoral care (in my limited experience) but it should because thats part of the reason for choosing private for many. 

In terms of access to timely and affordable counselling/psychology input we do well here. 

Now I'm talking milder end of the spectrum. I'm sure there isnt the capacity for the pointy end stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I can't comment on the MH system for young people in UK as had no experience of it but there are issues here too. I'd say the state school system is lacking. My daughter knew 2 girls who suicided. One at her secondary school and the aftercare was lacking for those affected. One in her older years. 

The private school system here offers robust pastoral care (in my limited experience) but it should because thats part of the reason for choosing private for many. 

In terms of access to timely and affordable counselling/psychology input we do well here. 

Now I'm talking milder end of the spectrum. I'm sure there isnt the capacity for the pointy end stuff. 

When I say private schools here I mean schools which previously were local govt controlled and are now academies funded direct from central govt and are now in the majority and have huge freedoms because of direct funding outside the LG system,  the old fee paying schools provide counselling on a very ad hoc basis because to admit that pupils might need psychological support might put the punters off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2020 at 10:12, Toots said:

I've just finished reading Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith (latest in the Strike series)  ...............  nearly 1,000 pages long.  The imagination of the writer is fantastic.  

Apparently not so good when it comes to imagining people with penises are female! 🤣

P.S.: Anyone who believes that how a person self-identifies is all that matters should be aware that JKR self-identifies as non-homophobic - so how come so many are refusing to accept that as fact? 🤔

  • Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does everyone abbreviate Mental Health ? 


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ken said:

Apparently not so good when it comes to imagining people with penises are female! 🤣

P.S.: Anyone who believes that how a person self-identifies is all that matters should be aware that JKR self-identifies as non-homophobic - so how come so many are refusing to accept that as fact? 🤔

Eh?  I've no idea what you are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

Eh?  I've no idea what you are talking about.

Robert Galbraith is jkr.

Jk Rowling writes strike.

Edited by newjez

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

Eh?  I've no idea what you are talking about.

@Ken I had to google to find out more info.  I don't think it's anything to do with homophobia,  more to do with young people and transgender issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

When I say private schools here I mean schools which previously were local govt controlled and are now academies funded direct from central govt and are now in the majority and have huge freedoms because of direct funding outside the LG system,  the old fee paying schools provide counselling on a very ad hoc basis because to admit that pupils might need psychological support might put the punters off

It seems to be a selling point here! Schools strength in pastoral care and the numbers and quality of pastoral care staff are valued. (In the private sector)

It's a different system though with private education being much more commonplace and less elitist than in the UK 

4 in 10 secondary students are at a fee paying school and 3 in 10 primary. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for results re my bad claudication and breathlessness and listed for heart echocardiogram in a couple of weeks . Had a renal ultrasound this morning but without waiting for the results I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a TURPS procedure as my symptoms are the same as they were when I last had one done 15yrs ago. They did warn me back then that it may need re-doing 10 or more yrs down the track.

  • Sad 4

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Still waiting for results re my bad claudication and breathlessness and listed for heart echocardiogram in a couple of weeks . Had a renal ultrasound this morning but without waiting for the results I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a TURPS procedure as my symptoms are the same as they were when I last had one done 15yrs ago. They did warn me back then that it may need re-doing 10 or more yrs down the track.

John.... are you having the echocardiogram procedure as relative to your claudication, or is there a separate heart issue there somewhere?   

Edited by Dusty Plains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrived at our holiday house now we are free to travel more than 25 km. Bliss. Hadn’t seen the sea since March. It looks spectacular and the beach was empty except for some hooded plovers.

  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

John.... are you having the echocardiogram procedure as relative to your claudication, or is there a separate heart issue there somewhere?   

An accumulation of things mate. I've had a quad bypass and and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Apart from the claudication I get pains in my left arm when I walk. I also get lower abdominal (bladder?) and back pain accompanied with breathlesness with some tasks. It's a weird one 'cause I can walk for an hour plus for morning exercise but anything that requires a "spurt" of energy results in those symptoms. Something like winching the tinny onto the trailer, pulling the starter chord on the mower, or even just constantly kneeling and standing such as weeding the garden.

  • Sad 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2020 at 19:15, HappyHeart said:

Sitting in my back yard, glass of NZ Sauv Blanc ..... must be about 25d still at 7pm.  Done the watering. Week end starts here. 

Put away the heaters and heated blankets and bought out the fans. Weather sure does change quickly when Perth decides Spring is truly here. 

We were down in Dunsborough for an adventure race this weekend. Did a ski paddle for a team Saturday in the short course and a ski paddle and run Sunday in the long course. Weather was perfect, water clear and fairly flat both days. Drove home Monday in the front that came through and it didn't stop raining the whole way back. So lucky.

Cold wind and wet yesterday too but nice today. Went to the pool as I need all the swim practice I can get. My son managed to get us in for a duo on the Rottnest Channel swim. I was half hoping we would miss out but he managed it. All the entries for duos and teams were full by 10:30am.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Too common here and there unfortunately. Not sure what the cause or answer is....

Good opportunity to have a chat about MH and expressing your feelings with your boys? You probably already do that... It's good to talk. Sometimes they don't want a bar of it but knowing you're there and will just listen is so important.

Hope the young man gets the help and support he needs. Just tragic. 

There is a good documentary on Netflix, the social dilemma. There is one bit where they show when social media started and kids got smart phones. They showed a graph of self harm/suicide rates amongst girls in 3 age groups. Pre teen, teenagers, and early 20's. The numbers had been ticking along about the same for years then when social media started they took off for all 3 age groups. Very worrying when you see the increases and even more so that the youngest age group was the most affected. Something crazy like 250% increase in something like 10 years.

Good doco.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

When I say private schools here I mean schools which previously were local govt controlled and are now academies funded direct from central govt and are now in the majority and have huge freedoms because of direct funding outside the LG system,  the old fee paying schools provide counselling on a very ad hoc basis because to admit that pupils might need psychological support might put the punters off

Kids are good at hiding stuff and I think it's unfair to blame schools and school funding. Teachers have a hard enough time just teaching and there's always going to be limited budgets. 

Parents should have a better handle on their kids mental health than a school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

We were down in Dunsborough for an adventure race this weekend. Did a ski paddle for a team Saturday in the short course and a ski paddle and run Sunday in the long course. Weather was perfect, water clear and fairly flat both days. Drove home Monday in the front that came through and it didn't stop raining the whole way back. So lucky.

Cold wind and wet yesterday too but nice today. Went to the pool as I need all the swim practice I can get. My son managed to get us in for a duo on the Rottnest Channel swim. I was half hoping we would miss out but he managed it. All the entries for duos and teams were full by 10:30am.

You are going to swim to Rottnest?  Blimey.  Watch out for sharks. 

You must be fit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Still waiting for results re my bad claudication and breathlessness and listed for heart echocardiogram in a couple of weeks . Had a renal ultrasound this morning but without waiting for the results I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a TURPS procedure as my symptoms are the same as they were when I last had one done 15yrs ago. They did warn me back then that it may need re-doing 10 or more yrs down the track.

Ask about Greenlight Laser procedure

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

An accumulation of things mate. I've had a quad bypass and and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Apart from the claudication I get pains in my left arm when I walk. I also get lower abdominal (bladder?) and back pain accompanied with breathlesness with some tasks. It's a weird one 'cause I can walk for an hour plus for morning exercise but anything that requires a "spurt" of energy results in those symptoms. Something like winching the tinny onto the trailer, pulling the starter chord on the mower, or even just constantly kneeling and standing such as weeding the garden.

Goodness me John. Are you happy with your GP/ Specialists etc? I am sure you are but:  are you explaining these symptoms to your medicos?  Have you had a full body scan?  Sorry I am waffling on, but only concerned for you as I have had some of those symptoms. If as you say "its weird" then I would be straight back to the GP / specialist.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

There is a good documentary on Netflix, the social dilemma. There is one bit where they show when social media started and kids got smart phones. They showed a graph of self harm/suicide rates amongst girls in 3 age groups. Pre teen, teenagers, and early 20's. The numbers had been ticking along about the same for years then when social media started they took off for all 3 age groups. Very worrying when you see the increases and even more so that the youngest age group was the most affected. Something crazy like 250% increase in something like 10 years.

Good doco.

Interesting you should say that, a friend mentioned/recommend it recently and I'd forgotten about it. Will check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Kids are good at hiding stuff and I think it's unfair to blame schools and school funding. Teachers have a hard enough time just teaching and there's always going to be limited budgets. 

Parents should have a better handle on their kids mental health than a school.

I'll give you a bit of insight as to how it could be different. 

My son was having a hard time several months ago. At home he was a real angry pain in the ass, irritable. He didn't particularly want to open up but we did have a few conversations which helped short term. I put it down to being a teenager. 

He told a friend at school how he was feeling. Girl and relationship stuff. Hormonal 14 yr old. The friend told the school chaplain. The chaplain told me, did a DASS (depression scale) and suggested we follow up with GP. Did so. Had 4 or 5 counselling sessions. Was very useful, gave him some excellent strategies for self managing his anxiety/stress (turned out not to be depression) 

He's flying right now. Told me he feels better than he has in a long time. 

I think that's a good example of school and parents working together for wellbeing of the student and the value of good communication all round. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

It seems to be a selling point here! Schools strength in pastoral care and the numbers and quality of pastoral care staff are valued. (In the private sector)

It's a different system though with private education being much more commonplace and less elitist than in the UK 

4 in 10 secondary students are at a fee paying school and 3 in 10 primary. 

I agree HH - the school my daughter teaches at has very strong pastoral care which has been extended to staff - when a colleague had a still birth, they were very proactive in supporting not only her but her close colleagues, getting relief teachers in for their lessons on the day the news was given to them.  There's a very proactive policy of communication between teachers, chaplain and home.

  • Like 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Goodness me John. Are you happy with your GP/ Specialists etc? I am sure you are but:  are you explaining these symptoms to your medicos?  Have you had a full body scan?  Sorry I am waffling on, but only concerned for you as I have had some of those symptoms. If as you say "its weird" then I would be straight back to the GP / specialist.

Yeah I had a full body scan which found the fracture in my pelvis but no kidney stones. In the last 8 weeks I've had an angiogram to check on the bypass, A CT pulmonary angiogram, an ultrasound of abdomen and lower extremities. I've been with my GP for 25yrs and trust him implicitly. Seems like all I've been doing lately is submitting umpteen bloods and urine to get to the bottom of what's going on.

The initial angiogram was because of the arm pain and claudication but two days after that, my current round of problems started initiated by me collapsing in the shopping centre with those severe pains to lowed abdomen and back and breathlesness. First tests showed impaired kidney function and subsequently 70% narrowing of the vein to the kidney. First guess for the collapse was a stroke to the kidney caused by a clot from the angiogram site which went in at the groin on that side with the 70%  narrowing.

I've had constant UTI's which clear after a round of antibiotics but return 3 to 4 days later.

Edited by Johndoe
  • Sad 3

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Yeah I had a full body scan which found the fracture in my pelvis but no kidney stones. In the last 8 weeks I've had an angiogram to check on the bypass, A CT pulmonary angiogram, an ultrasound of abdomen and lower extremities. I've been with my GP for 25yrs and trust him implicitly. Seems like all I've been doing lately is submitting umpteen bloods and urine to get to the bottom of what's going on.

The initial angiogram was because of the arm pain and claudication but two days after that, my current round of problems started initiated by me collapsing in the shopping centre with those severe pains to lowed abdomen and back and breathlesness. First tests showed impaired kidney function and subsequently 70% narrowing of the vein to the kidney. First guess for the collapse was a stroke to the kidney caused by a clot from the angiogram site which went in at the groin on that side with the 70%  narrowing.

I've had constant UTI's which clear after a round of antibiotics but return 3 to 4 days later.

That's no good! Hope you get sorted soon. Sounds like you need a procedure of some sort to fix up your kidney. I know nothing about renal problem though I have to say. Are you on blood thinners? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×