Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Run out of pain killers.  Going to be a tough day...

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Many years ago I went to a folk club somewhere in Norfolk and a chappie sometime during the gig stood up to recite his poetry.  I could barely keep a straight face.  Yes, pretentious indeed.  The funny things was the rest of the audience seemed to be enraptured by the whole thing.

Reminds me of the Emperor’s  new clothes

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, ramot said:

Reminds me of the Emperor’s  new clothes

A lot of modern art and literature falls into the same category.

I'm always at the library borrowing novels. If I pick up one and it says it's won a literary prize or some other award, I always put it back - because I can almost guarantee it will be pretentious rubbish.

• Like 5

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Poetry;   What a load of pretentious tosh!

Shall I compare thee to a summers day? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Poetry;   What a load of pretentious tosh!

'if' by rudyard kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you 
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you, 
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, 
But make allowance for their doubting too; 
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, 
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, 
Or being hated, don't give way to hating, 
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master, 
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim; 
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster 
And treat those two impostors just the same; 
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken 
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, 
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, 
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings 
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss, 
And lose, and start again at your beginnings 
And never breathe a word about your loss; 
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew 
To serve your turn long after they are gone, 
And so hold on when there is nothing in you 
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, 
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch, 
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, 
If all men count with you, but none too much; 
If you can fill the unforgiving minute 
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, 
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, 
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

At least RK rhymed and had a readable meter - and actually said something reasonable!  Love the way he had virtue/hurt you.  Clever chap Mr Kipling.  

• Like 6

Poetry is very diverse and can be pretentious, difficult to interpret or not to the taste of an individual but generally artistic expression through literature/language is an expression of beauty and creativity of thought; something to be encouraged and appreciated. It can be challenging, dark, stimulating, thought provoking. Much like visual art, paintings, photography etc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like it a lot. My Mum had some poetry published once. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bulya said:

Can you call the community nurse? Usually they will be able to assist.

• Like 2

There has been some good poetry.  But not for decades.  That black fellow who gets invited into every TV debate calls himself a "street poet" wtf is that twaddle?

I know someone who's the daughter of a famous actress and had to go and see her in one of those "fringe festival" things doing "spoken word"🙄 thank god there was a bar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Can you call the community nurse? Usually they will be able to assist.

Been three weeks today.  I needed to stop anyway as they’re addictive.  Wonder how I’m going to go at physio tomorrow...   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Been three weeks today.  I needed to stop anyway as they’re addictive.  Wonder how I’m going to go at physio tomorrow...   

Don't just stop taking any/all pain relief, you're recovery will be longer and you increase chances of ending up with chronic pain 

If you've got panadol osteo take it three times a day and get onto your GP for other options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gone down with a bug, had a covid test today. Hope it’s only a cold.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, ramot said:

My husband had a test today- same reason. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get the results. He says they were pretty efficient and he only had to wait about 10 mins

• Sad 2

Just heard today that the supermarket i go to had an active case.

I went there the day after the infected person visited but it only came out a few days later.

• Sad 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

47 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

My husband had a test today- same reason. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get the results. He says they were pretty efficient and he only had to wait about 10 mins

I had an appointment and tested straight away, very efficient. There are walk in clinics as well but I went for an appointment.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bulya said:

Hope you got through ok. Can you not get an emergency script? Although most don’t like handing out opioids. If you were local I could give you plenty. I’m struggling at the moment. I’m trying to get off the opioids and struggling to manage with Panadol and nurofen although I’m not supposed to take either. Considering a pain management program I know nothing about them but the oncology unit said it was 8 weeks as an inpatient so that put me off. 

• Sad 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

7 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Don't just stop taking any/all pain relief, you're recovery will be longer and you increase chances of ending up with chronic pain 

If you've got panadol osteo take it three times a day and get onto your GP for other options. 

How long is too long @HappyHeart they want me on them forever and keep prescribing and I keep refusing. They don’t seem to work very well and I have too many side effects. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

6 hours ago, ramot said:

Oh no @ramot did they say how long before you get the results back. If I miss your post please pm me then I know you are ok. Huge hugs 

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Oh @starlight7 hope you and your husband are ok. 

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Just heard today that the supermarket i go to had an active case.

I went there the day after the infected person visited but it only came out a few days later.

Keep safe

IKNWC but I got in to trouble today from hubby for doing donuts in my wheelchair. The remote vac then decided to make an even bigger mess but I’d quickly gone out to walk the dog whilst hubby was screaming at the vac. 
AFAB23CB-557D-411D-8F11-5134F2A45B9A.jpeg

Ps I wasn’t really doing donuts, just turning around 

• Haha 6

Talking of the vac I was really reluctant thinking they wouldn’t work, but now I can’t vac with a handheld I’ve found it fantastic although when the dog drips water from the bowl it doesn’t help. 
EDBA8893-A4AA-4827-A9DC-3A4C773B3642.jpeg

• Haha 1

just bought these on audible.  Heard a review on the radio and sounded like a traditional take on the self help genre - not the new age believe and therefore you shall receive clap trap.  this is more life if rough and you need to work hard at it......

ORDER PLACED
15 October 2020
TOTAL
1 Audible Credit

ORDER # D01-3256976-5525447
51GswAOSMkL._SY180_.jpg
Derren Brown
Audiobook
Sold by: Audible Ltd

12 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Taking Panadol every six hours.  Everything else is off the table.  Endone, Targin, Tapentadol etc.  

• Like 1