Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

3 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Thanks. Yes, (morbid head on) There's folk who will help him out if I'm out of commission

Then please don’t worry, because worrying isn’t helping you. Look after yourself then you will be around for many more years ❤️

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

5 hours ago, newjez said:

I've always wanted a boat but I suffer terribly with motion sickness. Saying that, I used to work on Rottnest, and travelled on all sorts of weather. I was fine in any weather as long as I can look at the horizon, but if I have to concentrate on anything close I get a migraine. Is this something you would grow out of? I could try travel sickness pills I guess. But I've always liked the idea of a boat.

We have had this discussion lately, but we can only afford a tinny, well my son can and I refuse to spend any money to help him. If I didn’t get sea sick I may have considered, (I’m so bad I get seasickness on a canal barge) 😩

If I had a boat I wouldn’t go out to sea though, my idea would be cruising along the creeks and inlets exploring. In saying that I would love to do a cruise around the Kimberley but like @Bobj pointed out it looks very expensive.  Maybe I just need a few barrels and logs and build my own. 🚣‍♀️ 

• Haha 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

14 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

What are his first thoughts? 10 days is a good time frame, break him in easily. Is he at Creswell? My eldest spent a lot of time at Cerberus, absolutely love it there. He will be based at Oakey next year so hopefully I will get to see him more.

He's loving it at Cresswell but I never doubted he wouldn't take to it. Only downside he said was the food due to covid shortages (they said) and he lost 9 kilos the first 4 weeks. He was just about to leave when he called me but I don't doubt he'll love it at sea also. He's a big lad now as he was a personal trainer and pumped a lot of iron. Thank God he got rid of that beard! 🙂

101384535_10223448943032133_7879059470913896448_o.thumb.jpg.8f6007507b819be11bb2c9fe11a325f9.jpg

• Like 5

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

On 05/09/2020 at 14:30, Fisher1 said:

Shoes. Especially trainers.

Yes trainers and socks. I thought the dog had pooped in the house, spent all day wondering what the smell was to find out it was his shoes. 

3 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Depends if you just mean a small tinny for exploring creeks and fresh water. Anything big is just "a hole in the water that you pour money into"

This was my first which was pretty low maintenance

bekshovelly.jpg.8c00dcfbe83de773de11a82c1d5ae6fe.jpg

This one cost an arm and a leg and the other arm and leg to maintain

marlinboardrear.jpg.7361d756ef9f3898a9ab0c520edd5425.jpg

This is what I have now and suits me fine.

49959300687_b0310030cb_b.jpgLake Samsonvale sunrise (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

If you take your boat in saltwater remember the extra effort needed at the end of a long day to wash all the salt off the trailer and flush the engine with fresh water. I love fishing the freesh now as I just back the boat into the garage no cleaning needed.

To your question. All my kids suffered from sea sickness but they all "grew out of it"

I like the look of the first, although the second is nice. Depends on whether my brother's would want to go in to share the cost. Pipe dream ATM though.

Nice fish btw. Is that a small shark?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

We have had this discussion lately, but we can only afford a tinny, well my son can and I refuse to spend any money to help him. If I didn’t get sea sick I may have considered, (I’m so bad I get seasickness on a canal barge) 😩

If I had a boat I wouldn’t go out to sea though, my idea would be cruising along the creeks and inlets exploring. In saying that I would love to do a cruise around the Kimberley but like @Bobj pointed out it looks very expensive.  Maybe I just need a few barrels and logs and build my own. 🚣‍♀️ 

If I tell you about our Broom to Darwin cruise it might put you off. We were on a well known cruise operated by a well known travel company. A fairly small ship, the scratch crew left a lot to be desired, one had literally been employed from a bar the day before. I don’t eat red meat and on one occasion was begrudgingly offered a crew meal as apart from salad, everything was meat, not even any fish. Don’t book during a neep tide, you miss out on the things advertised. We hit the worst storm before Darwin, the clue that it was going to be bad, was when it was suggested we could leave our cabins if we wished to stay in the dining area, which might be slightly calmer. We stayed in our cabin for hours, not allowed to move without help, the sides of the beds were put up. I mentioned previously that I don’t mind rough seas. I was fine, read a book cover to cover. My husband was so sick!! Luckily my previous life as a stewardess was good training to cope with him. The crew did call in at regular intervals.

We did see some amazing places though.

• Sad 1

This is so true. Although I go for the cheap bacon now it seems to have more taste, plus I love the rind.
Aldi smoked bacon is pretty good, so much better than the Coles bacon and cheaper too!
  • Like 3

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

7 hours ago, newjez said:

I like the look of the first, although the second is nice. Depends on whether my brother's would want to go in to share the cost. Pipe dream ATM though.

Nice fish btw. Is that a small shark?

Shovel Nose Ray. here's a bigger model. Damn good chewin' although a bugger to skin

shovelly.thumb.jpg.8a68cd29ab6651986ec7fe488cb53537.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johndoe said:

@The Pom Queen  Said he wasn't allowed to tell me but Cresswell has made it public via their FB page anyway. He's on the Adelaide. He's in the line-up somewhere 🙂

119218766_195199521966295_574723539778205771_o.jpg@Johndoe, re the photo of recruits lining the jetty; my son and 300 other soldiers were decked out in full kit at Robertson Barracks, Darwin and stood at attention while the bigwigs were wining and dining with a Federal Minister. The boys were at attention for almost 3  hours in 35 degree heat prior to going to Afghanistan on Operation Slipper. Hope your lad does not receive the same stupid treatment.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

Results from full body scan show only athritis and old pelvic fracture that I didn't know I had. Impaired Kidney function according to bloods/urine so GP thinks I've had a kidney stroke so now listed for renal/leg/abdominal scan next Friday and Monday.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Results from full body scan show only athritis and old pelvic fracture that I didn't know I had. Impaired Kidney function according to bloods/urine so GP thinks I've had a kidney stroke so now listed for renal/leg/abdominal scan next Friday and Monday.

Welcome to my world.  Good luck with all your scans and tests. 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 17:20, ramot said:

Same same Dom, lots of new names, sadly not many of the older members, everyone still agreeing or disagreeing!!! Not so much fun these days.

I finally got PR last year, only took 16 years! Now waiting for my citizenship ceremony. Think it took you a while as well?

Hope all is good with you. 

Awesome mate. 

Yeah I got PR last year too.

So how many years after gaining PR can you get citizenship?

• Thanks 1

No one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be

You've got to stand your ground and fight to save your life

It may be hard but ooh ooh it's the only way

Always remembering there ain't no second prize

There ain't no second prize

On 12/09/2020 at 08:26, HappyHeart said:

Just the usual, down to our block in the van for a week. Love to be there in the Spring. Can't wait. Meeting with a few builders while there this time to see if we can get the ball rolling. 

Ah are you building?

Me too.

Oh  and, Hi. Hope all is well and happy with you x

On 12/09/2020 at 09:38, HappyHeart said:

Sadly not. My husband's manager coughed and sneezed all over him and he got sick, bringing it back to our home. My son's teacher was working while obviously unwell and only last week my manager came to work without a voice and a sore throat. Selfish and irresponsible. 

Grrrrr, makes you so angry, right? 😡

On 13/09/2020 at 14:56, HappyHeart said:

First singlet and shorts day. Hallelujah. Thankfully still fit. Having a lazy one at home and got my pasty winter limbs out in the garden for a bit of vit D. 

So how is the sun burn? ....ha ha

3 hours ago, Dom Churchill said:

Awesome mate. 

Yeah I got PR last year too.

So how many years after gaining PR can you get citizenship?

Already applied, and approved, just waiting for the ceremony. Didn’t have to take the test as classed geriatric!! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dom Churchill said:

Ah are you building?

Me too.

Oh  and, Hi. Hope all is well and happy with you x

Hi Dom, all good thanks, how's you? 

You still SOR? Yes we are building our 2nd home in the South West. Exciting times. Where are you building and who with?! 

PS No Sun burn, just getting the base coat on. 🙈😊

• Congratulations 1

On 14/09/2020 at 00:38, The Pom Queen said:

Yes trainers and socks. I thought the dog had pooped in the house, spent all day wondering what the smell was to find out it was his shoes. 

My husband had terrible sweaty feet when I met him. It almost put me off! But we (I) started taking his socks to the launderette and stopped him washing them in cold water and drying them over the radiator (!). I then persuaded him to stop buying cheap shoes ... miracles were wrought 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

On 14/09/2020 at 08:43, ramot said:

If I tell you about our Broom to Darwin cruise it might put you off. We were on a well known cruise operated by a well known travel company. A fairly small ship, the scratch crew left a lot to be desired, one had literally been employed from a bar the day before. I don’t eat red meat and on one occasion was begrudgingly offered a crew meal as apart from salad, everything was meat, not even any fish. Don’t book during a neep tide, you miss out on the things advertised. We hit the worst storm before Darwin, the clue that it was going to be bad, was when it was suggested we could leave our cabins if we wished to stay in the dining area, which might be slightly calmer. We stayed in our cabin for hours, not allowed to move without help, the sides of the beds were put up. I mentioned previously that I don’t mind rough seas. I was fine, read a book cover to cover. My husband was so sick!! Luckily my previous life as a stewardess was good training to cope with him. The crew did call in at regular intervals.

We did see some amazing places though.

Ok maybe not for me then 🤮 What a shame that your trip didn’t go to plan and what a terrible company to go with.

On 14/09/2020 at 11:29, Johndoe said:

Shovel Nose Ray. here's a bigger model. Damn good chewin' although a bugger to skin

shovelly.thumb.jpg.8a68cd29ab6651986ec7fe488cb53537.jpg

Can you eat them

39 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Ok maybe not for me then 🤮 What a shame that your trip didn’t go to plan and what a terrible company to go with.

Supposed to be the top travel company in Australia known by 3 initials. I think we’re very unlucky because other people have had great trips.
We enjoyed Broome and went to theBungle Bungles before the trip which was fabulous, and went on to Katherine by ourselves which we really enjoyed especially the sunset cruise on the gorge.

We and others did make a formal complaint, but it was a total waste of time.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramot said:

Supposed to be the top travel company in Australia known by 3 initials. I think we’re very unlucky because other people have had great trips.
We enjoyed Broome and went to theBungle Bungles before the trip which was fabulous, and went on to Katherine by ourselves which we really enjoyed especially the sunset cruise on the gorge.

We and others did make a formal complaint, but it was a total waste of time.

739BCAB3-6A4E-405A-AC9A-9B1AF7375C5D.jpeg

• Like 2

It was 20 years ago today.............. Click the link to watch on YOUTUBE

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1