Jump to content
Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Australia is about working hard and reaping the rewards for your efforts.

Even the ALP would never dare call themself socialists. It would be political suicide. They are struggling enough as it is without that poisonous label.

Funny how Socialism was supported so ardently by the dockers, the miners and the shipyard workers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, newjez said:

Bit the bullet and decided to put grass seed down.

Only time will tell if it's a good idea.

It’s a tough move.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks 🙂 hope all is well for you too. Im studying nursing, just about to start third year.

Lots of luck to your daughter! It sucks as especially for people just starting its harder to meet other students and make friends.

Are you hoping to emigrate when you qualify? Good luck for your final year, I hope it's all coming together!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

WTH.  😐  BBC columnist Richard Morrison recently called for Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory to be scrapped for being "crudely jingoistic". He wrote in the BBC Music Magazine that it would be "insensitive, bordering on incendiary" to sing the songs in the wake of Black Lives Matter protests.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

WTH.  😐  BBC columnist Richard Morrison recently called for Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory to be scrapped for being "crudely jingoistic". He wrote in the BBC Music Magazine that it would be "insensitive, bordering on incendiary" to sing the songs in the wake of Black Lives Matter protests.

Just read about that in The Australian, thought they were taking the mickey at first. I see you have a Finish female conductor who wants to modernise the repertoire and is a big supporter of black lives matter.

I guess there's no audience this year and the proms have never been my cup of tea music wise but if anything can upset a lot of the British Public I reckon this is it. 

Why is it fashionable to not be proud of your nations history any longer? I'm not just talking about Britain here, any nation that once had an empire seems to be wringing their hands and apologising to everyone.

It's crap as far as I'm concerned, the average British person should remain proud of their history, heritage and nationality.

See you have a black presenter too.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been off the forum for a number of years I couldn't work out why my notifications didn't match the order of posts in a thread. Just worked out who the moderated members must be 🙈😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Having been off the forum for a number of years I couldn't work out why my notifications didn't match the order of posts in a thread. Just worked out who the moderated members must be 🙈😂

Happy Heart, why did you leave and why did you come back ?

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parley said:

Happy Heart, why did you leave and why did you come back ?

I left because of irreconcilable differences with members.. I came back because I've sworn off other social media for a while and I was a bit bored one afternoon. It kind of snowballed from there. Surprised me too!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, newjez said:

It was too far forward in the bed, and the garden is north facing, so it was starving everything behind it of light. Too big to transplant.

I don't like removing healthy plants, and it was a lovely japonica. Beautiful colours. But as long as you replace it with something else, then I can justify it.

I have to move a very substantial wandering rose in November. Again, it's too far forward. That's going to be a challenge to keep it alive. But I did move half a dozen substantial plants last winter, and they are all doing well. So fingers crossed.

We bought two years ago, and the garden was very overgrown. It has taken a lot of work to bring it back under control.

Yeah that's fair enough, hopefully you can get it the way you want it! Must be nice to have a garden to play around with, and a godsend during lockdown!

I'm looking forward to finally getting a place with a garden, been stuck in a studio so not ideal! But it's cheap for student life haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Are you hoping to emigrate when you qualify? Good luck for your final year, I hope it's all coming together!

Thanks! That is the ultimate plan, my partners never been though so hoping to get out for a holiday next year first. Hopefully nurses will still be needed in a year or two's time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks! That is the ultimate plan, my partners never been though so hoping to get out for a holiday next year first. Hopefully nurses will still be needed in a year or two's time.

Don't worry the Australian governments cunning plan of training less nurses each year than retire each year guarantees a shortfall that has to be filled by immigration. Apparently a big jump in nurses leaving the profession is expected as soon as the current COVID-19 crisis ends.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ken said:

Don't worry the Australian governments cunning plan of training less nurses each year than retire each year guarantees a shortfall that has to be filled by immigration. Apparently a big jump in nurses leaving the profession is expected as soon as the current COVID-19 crisis ends.

Really?
New grads have had hard times getting jobs over there for a few years as there was so many of them. Some (in the few hundreds) came to the uk to get jobs. 
I’ve been out of Aus for a couple of years now so not completely up to date. Have the numbers changed that much?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ken said:

Don't worry the Australian governments cunning plan of training less nurses each year than retire each year guarantees a shortfall that has to be filled by immigration. Apparently a big jump in nurses leaving the profession is expected as soon as the current COVID-19 crisis ends.

On what evidence do you say this or just personal opinion? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a few nurses find it hard to get jobs when they first graduate. Not so much now since covid though - there is a shortage in Melbourne at the moment. My granddaughter is first year qualified and she was offered several jobs and is working on a covid ward just now. She is a lovely, happy girl and we all love her and hope she copes with the 12 hour ++ shifts wearing that space ship gear.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks! That is the ultimate plan, my partners never been though so hoping to get out for a holiday next year first. Hopefully nurses will still be needed in a year or two's time.

I always raise a curios eyebrow when someone says "partner".  Not that there's anything wrong with it BTW. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ken said:

Don't worry the Australian governments cunning plan of training less nurses each year than retire each year guarantees a shortfall that has to be filled by immigration. Apparently a big jump in nurses leaving the profession is expected as soon as the current COVID-19 crisis ends.

I have friends daughters, newly qualified nurses and they can't get a job. One had to go to the UK to get some practical experience, another managed to get a job in Queensland.

If you're right and loads do leave there will be some happy newly qualified ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, simmo said:

I always raise a curios eyebrow when someone says "partner".  Not that there's anything wrong with it BTW. 

You can stay curious then! It's my preferred term.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Yeah that's fair enough, hopefully you can get it the way you want it! Must be nice to have a garden to play around with, and a godsend during lockdown!

I'm looking forward to finally getting a place with a garden, been stuck in a studio so not ideal! But it's cheap for student life haha.

Being one of the highly vulnerable and confined to barracks during the lockdown, I would have gone insane without my garden.

  • Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s a tough move.

We've just put the washing on the line, so the weather doesn't know if it's coming or going.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve turned into a complete crazy cat lady! I used to laugh when people said that were one but I definitely have joined 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BritChickx said:

You can stay curious then! It's my preferred term.

As long as you’re happy it’s no one else’s  business. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ramot said:

As long as you’re happy it’s no one else’s  business. 

Well boyfriend at my age seems a bit of a younger term and we arent married so 🤣

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Really?
New grads have had hard times getting jobs over there for a few years as there was so many of them. Some (in the few hundreds) came to the uk to get jobs. 
I’ve been out of Aus for a couple of years now so not completely up to date. Have the numbers changed that much?

We still have a lot of students coming through and hard to get on Grad programs. 

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks! That is the ultimate plan, my partners never been though so hoping to get out for a holiday next year first. Hopefully nurses will still be needed in a year or two's time.

Some states have been close to removing nurses from the list already, as there is a glut of new graduates.   Covid has changed the whole landscape temporarily, and they seem to be actively looking for nurses to come on temp visas - but when everything eventually returns to normal, that could mean we'll have a surplus.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Well boyfriend at my age seems a bit of a younger term and we arent married so 🤣

Boyfriend is still fine Brit. Seems to be the modern thing to say partner now though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×