register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

2 hours ago, simmo said:

I took a down turn. Temp shot up, burning pain in GIT and trouble breathing. I was very close to calling 999 last night.

If you are struggling to breathe it sounds like pneumonia now.....which is the way this often progresses I have read.  At this point you really need to be in hospital.

Please seek proper medical attention.

• Like 4

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

2 hours ago, simmo said:

I took a down turn. Temp shot up, burning pain in GIT and trouble breathing. I was very close to calling 999 last night.

Don’t take any chances, get medical help xM

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simmo said:

I think you should phone for some advice if you’re still having trouble breathing. I’ve had pneumonia twice and it’s not something you mess around with 

• Like 3

Hope your feeling better soon pal.......
  • Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

8 hours ago, tonyman said:
13 hours ago, simmo said:

Hope your feeling better soon pal.......

As an update. Symptoms have been mild today.  This time yesterday i thought I was going to have to call 999  now I feel reasonably well.  Fingers crossed it's on its way out. The worst thing about this though is that it comes in wave after wave, you think you're getting better then you get hit with another one.  I have never experienced anything like this in my life if and hope it never too again.  

Stay well everyone and thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 9

On a lighter note,

Now we are self isolating, it’s difficult to know what day of the week it is with no structure now to the day.

To help our ageing brains we will have boiled eggs for breakfast every Sunday,,  so at least if we can remember we will know the next day is Monday the start of another week.

Any other useful tips to help our predicament?

Thank you

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

On a lighter note,

Now we are self isolating, it’s difficult to know what day of the week it is with no structure now to the day.

To help our ageing brains we will have boiled eggs for breakfast every Sunday,,  so at least if we can remember we will know the next day is Monday the start of another week.

Thank you

You are far more on the ball than I am Ramot.  Since I retired, I never know what day of the week it is.  I'll take a look at the calendar and think "Is it really that date!  Time is just flying by".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, simmo said:

As an update. Symptoms have been mild today.  This time yesterday i thought I was going to have to call 999  now I feel reasonably well.  Fingers crossed it's on its way out. The worst thing about this though is that it comes in wave after wave, you think you're getting better then you get hit with another one.  I have never experienced anything like this in my life if and hope it never too again.  

That sounds scary. You sound like you’re in reasonable health so I can see why people who are high risk have little chance of recovering 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ramot said:

On a lighter note,

Thank you

I like the boiled eggs theory;

I worked in a fairly high-stress job for many years. I would sit down the night before work and go through my appointments diary. like many other people do. Yet even then and as now, I was losing track of the days. I am  now retired and most of the time I haven't a clue what day it is and that is a good thing, the way I see it. Self Isolation even for 6 months is a time to review and to take stock and to discover what other things you can plan for and achieve. It can be a good opportunity to see yourself doing things you may never have dreamed. What is the differnce between Monday and Saturday?...........Nothing but boiled eggs.

The way I look at it is this. This current scourge will end, and so I will use the ensuing time to be in a happier and healthier position when it does.    

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

On 18/3/2020 at 00:59, Bobj said:

Just finished a yap with my nextie, Doug; he turned 80 three days after I turned 79 and was due to have a knee replacement yesterday. The surgeon had his knives sharpened and then told Doug that as Doug was 80, it was not in his best interests to stay in hospital due to covid-19. Doug had been waiting for 2 years for the op...No date has been set for another op...So, more pain for Doug...

Cheers, Bobj.

Sorry for Doug, know how painful a collapsed knee can be, stay safe and hunker down, that's going to be difficult I guess for someone as active as yourself.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I worked in a fairly high-stress job for many years. I would sit down the night before work and go through my appointments diary. like many other people do. Yet even then and as now, I was losing track of the days.

And I thought I was the only one.   All my working life, I had a desk planner on my desk - even once they went out of style. The reason?  So I could remember what day it was.  For some weird reason, I've always had trouble remembering what day it is, even when I was in my twenties. They say the brain only retains what's important, and at some point my brain must have decided days of the week aren't important, because I'm hopeless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Still on the mend today pal....?

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

20 minutes ago, tonyman said:
On 21/03/2020 at 20:39, simmo said:

Still on the mend today pal....?

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Temperature shot up briefly in the afternoon but slept ok.

Not feeling too bad this morning.  Thanks.

• Like 3

NRL just joined the AFL in shutdown.  Life is now officially over 

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

NRL just joined the AFL in shutdown.  Life is now officially over 

The A league will be following suit. You can't fly teams interstate if they have to spend 14 days in isolation when they get there before they can play and another 14 days in isolation when they get back.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

On 22/03/2020 at 06:39, simmo said:

How is your beautiful wife and children @simmo . It may be worth while calling someone see if you can get the test. I’m thinking of your dad also with his health.

You have to get well the forum would be boring without you. Who would everyone argue with 😂

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Sorry to take the thread off topic, I just saw @Booma had been on and wanted to say hi stranger, we have missed you.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 22/03/2020 at 20:16, BacktoDemocracy said:

Sorry for Doug, know how painful a collapsed knee can be, stay safe and hunker down, that's going to be difficult I guess for someone as active as yourself.

Ummm, 😂😂 @Bobj trying to get him to stay indoors is impossible 😜😘 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

And I thought I was the only one.   All my working life, I had a desk planner on my desk - even once they went out of style. The reason?  So I could remember what day it was.  For some weird reason, I've always had trouble remembering what day it is, even when I was in my twenties. They say the brain only retains what's important, and at some point my brain must have decided days of the week aren't important, because I'm hopeless.

I still buy a diary every year, the problem is my memory is so bad I forget to write in it, or I sit there for too long procrastinating 

‘Maybe we should start a diary thread

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Sorry to take the thread off topic, I just saw @Booma had been on and wanted to say hi stranger, we have missed you.

Hi 👋 I’m in mandatory self isolation after coming back from overseas. The kids are still with their grandparents until next week so I have lots of time to be on the internet just now. Hope you are feeling well.

Edited by Booma
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Ken said:

The A league will be following suit. You can't fly teams interstate if they have to spend 14 days in isolation when they get there before they can play and another 14 days in isolation when they get back.

The remainder of the Hyundai A-League Season 2019/2020 was officially postponed today (last night's fixture of Perth Glory vs Western United had already had to be postponed for the reason I outlined).

• Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Security guard in Woolies this morning, making sure only 1 pk of dunny rolls per customer! Saw a few customers go in a second time for another pk of rolls,

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

How is your beautiful wife and children @simmo . It may be worth while calling someone see if you can get the test. I’m thinking of your dad also with his health.

You have to get well the forum would be boring without you. Who would everyone argue with 😂

The Mrs is coping well and returning to work tomorrow. The kids are bored but in good health. 

My dad thank goodness is ok and has been calling me every day to check on me which is a complete role reversal. His multiple myeloma puts him on the high risk list and he seems to be taking it seriously.

Stay safe.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'm feeling really worried right now.

My niece is a single Mum living in outer London.   She can work from home, so a  couple of weeks ago, she decided to move up to Scotland with her little boy, to stay with her Mum (my sister) for the lockdown.

Last night, my niece and her little boy both came down with a fever, nausea and diarrhea.  

I'm not fretting too much about her, because she and her son are young and healthy.   However my sister is 70. She has asthma, she has had two heart attacks and is on the waiting list for a pacemaker.  If she's caught it - which I'd say is very likely as she would've been playing with her grandson non-stop -  I will be very surprised if she makes it. 

Life is so unfair.  My sister is a lovely person, by far the best of the bunch in our family.  She's been so selfless, caring and hard-working all her life, and her pig of a husband has made her life a misery at times.  Of all the people in the world, she deserves to have a restful and happy old age.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Sad 7

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

54 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm feeling really worried right now.

My niece is a single Mum living in outer London.   She can work from home, so a  couple of weeks ago, she decided to move up to Scotland with her little boy, to stay with her Mum (my sister) for the lockdown.

Last night, my niece and her little boy both came down with a fever, nausea and diarrhea.  

I'm not fretting too much about her, because she and her son are young and healthy.   However my sister is 70. She has asthma, she has had two heart attacks and is on the waiting list for a pacemaker.  If she's caught it - which I'd say is very likely as she would've been playing with her grandson non-stop -  I will be very surprised if she makes it. 

Life is so unfair.  My sister is a lovely person, by far the best of the bunch in our family.  She's been so selfless, caring and hard-working all her life, and her pig of a husband has made her life a misery at times.  Of all the people in the world, she deserves to have a restful and happy old age.  

So sorry Marisa, I can imagine how distressed and helpless you must feel. It may just be a nasty bug - kids in particular pick up everything and pass it on, but your niece and your sister will be alert to the possibilities and will be doing all that they can to stay safe. I understand that you may be feeling particularly helpless given that you live in different parts of the world, but in truth even if you lived up the road there would be very little you could do to help in a practical sense. It is true that the NHS is under extreme pressure but the amazing people who work there will do all that they can to take care of your sister and her family if needs be. Take care of yourself too, sending hugs. T x

• Like 2