..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

David Marr thinks Pell will be let out on a technicality.  Sad result   

36 minutes ago, Bulya said:

David Marr thinks Pell will be let out on a technicality.  Sad result   

I suppose being innocent is a technicality

I want it all, and I want it now.

Well apparently my local council has figured out what's causing Corona Virus. I know we all thought it would be down to the beer, but no it's Library books! Consequently all our local Libraries will be closed from Thursday. They decided to leave them open today and tomorrow because …… well it wouldn't be Australian not to wait a couple of days, but very soon we'll be safe from the terror of library books.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ken said:

Well apparently my local council has figured out what's causing Corona Virus. I know we all thought it would be down to the beer, but no it's Library books! 

Not surprising, surely.   Libraries are places where all day long, people pick up and handle books, magazines and newspapers, then put them back - and they're then picked up by someone else.  The virus does survive on surfaces and they can't disinfect the books, so it makes sense. 

I'm usually at the library at least twice a week. I started stockpiling books about three weeks ago as I suspected they would close - and even if they didn't, once the infection started to spread, I wouldn't want to visit anyway.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not surprising, surely.   Libraries are places where all day long, people pick up and handle books, magazines and newspapers, then put them back - and they're then picked up by someone else.  The virus does survive on surfaces and they can't disinfect the books, so it makes sense. 

I'm usually at the library at least twice a week. I started stockpiling books about three weeks ago as I suspected they would close - and even if they didn't, once the infection started to spread, I wouldn't want to visit anyway.

Our library has loads of digital books to borrow free, they can be read on most devices.  I know some people don’t like it but.....

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I was quite surprised that there were magazines still to share at the private hospital where I had an appointment last week. Will be interesting to see if still there next week for my check up. Haven’t been to the Drs for a while are magazines still in surgeries? and are there still toys for children to share? 

We are self isolating, apart from taking the chance to shop, should have enough in for about 2 weeks, plus have hospital check up  next week,  but it’s a private hospital in the Drs consulting rooms so only a few people there at any time. 

This might sound daft, I watch all the news, but I can’t quite take in how bad it is going to get. I think the country should be in lockdown, but then what is going to happen if many thousands  lose  their jobs. I have family who could loose everything. I can only hope that the next few weeks aren’t as bad as anticipated. It’s like a disaster movie but real.

4 hours ago, Ken said:

Well apparently my local council has figured out what's causing Corona Virus. I know we all thought it would be down to the beer, but no it's Library books! Consequently all our local Libraries will be closed from Thursday. They decided to leave them open today and tomorrow because …… well it wouldn't be Australian not to wait a couple of days, but very soon we'll be safe from the terror of library books.

@Ken from what I’ve heard everywhere will be shut down not just the library. Supermarkets and chemists will remain open.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

11 hours ago, ramot said:

I was quite surprised that there were magazines still to share at the private hospital where I had an appointment last week. Will be interesting to see if still there next week for my check up. Haven’t been to the Drs for a while are magazines still in surgeries? and are there still toys for children to share? 

We are self isolating, apart from taking the chance to shop, should have enough in for about 2 weeks, plus have hospital check up  next week,  but it’s a private hospital in the Drs consulting rooms so only a few people there at any time. 

This might sound daft, I watch all the news, but I can’t quite take in how bad it is going to get. I think the country should be in lockdown, but then what is going to happen if many thousands  lose  their jobs. I have family who could loose everything. I can only hope that the next few weeks aren’t as bad as anticipated. It’s like a disaster movie but real.

If only it were just the next few weeks that he had to worry about. Estimates of how long COVID-19 will be a problem vary between six and eighteen months.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

11 hours ago, ramot said:

Some distinct advantages of living in very small communities re self isolating. 
Cheers, Bobj.

Just finished a yap with my nextie, Doug; he turned 80 three days after I turned 79 and was due to have a knee replacement yesterday. The surgeon had his knives sharpened and then told Doug that as Doug was 80, it was not in his best interests to stay in hospital due to covid-19. Doug had been waiting for 2 years for the op...No date has been set for another op...So, more pain for Doug...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Ken said:

If only it were just the next few weeks that he had to worry about. Estimates of how long COVID-19 will be a problem vary between six and eighteen months.

I do realise that, 

12 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Our library has loads of digital books to borrow free, they can be read on most devices.  

True. I'm a member of three libraries and they've all said that all their online resources, including digital books, will remain available - you don't have to visit the library for those.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

12 hours ago, ramot said:

I was quite surprised that there were magazines still to share at the private hospital where I had an appointment last week. Will be interesting to see if still there next week for my check up. Haven’t been to the Drs for a while are magazines still in surgeries?

My friend works in a clinic in Melbourne and they've removed all magazines and also removed half the chairs in the waiting areas, so they're further apart. 

ScoMo just said it's going to go on for six months.   Experts are saying there's no point in going into an extreme lockdown for a few weeks and then back to normal, because the virus will still be highly active and we'll be back where we started in no time.   All the precautions in the world can't stop it now, they can only slow the spread so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed.  There are only two things that can stop it - a vaccine, or the start of summer (if it turns out to be seasonal). 

The experts say their modelling predicts 80% of us will get infected, but they're hoping it will be more like 40%.

I think Norman Swan has it in a nutshell.   If the precautions don't work, the shock jocks (and Perthbum) will say they haven't done enough. If the precautions do work, the shock jocks will say it was all exaggerated, look, everything's fine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, ramot said:

I do realise that, 

Sorry Ken that came across more sharp than intended.  It was a vain hope against hope that it might not be quite as bad.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Just finished a yap with my nextie, Doug; he turned 80 three days after I turned 79 and was due to have a knee replacement yesterday. The surgeon had his knives sharpened and then told Doug that as Doug was 80, it was not in his best interests to stay in hospital due to covid-19. Doug had been waiting for 2 years for the op...No date has been set for another op...So, more pain for Doug...

Cheers, Bobj.

In a funny quirk in Victoria at least elective surgery in the public hospitals are being brought forward because they are worried that later they will be swamped with COVID-19 cases.

I am the beneficiary of this myself. I went to see a surgeon to have a varicose vein checked out. He put me on the waiting list and I thought it could be 6 months or more. But they have called me in early to have the procedure after only about 2 months.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

[mention=219387]Ken[/mention] from what I’ve heard everywhere will be shut down not just the library. Supermarkets and chemists will remain open.
Does that include bottle shops?

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

In a funny quirk in Victoria at least elective surgery in the public hospitals are being brought forward because they are worried that later they will be swamped with COVID-19 cases.

I think the difference is the age of the patient.

• Like 1

Warning

have been told about a probable scam phone call from Medicare asking for your details before the send you  the $750

• Sad 1

Stufftif...But got a knock on the door and a lady asking if I was Bob, On affirmation, she proceeded to ask how many toilet rolls I needed?????

Seems that a Facebook regular had asked a person to send some to me. After a few giggles, I was given 4...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bobj said:

Stufftif...But got a knock on the door and a lady asking if I was Bob, On affirmation, she proceeded to ask how many toilet rolls I needed?????

Seems that a Facebook regular had asked a person to send some to me. After a few giggles, I was given 4...

Cheers, Bobj.

F1F4FA11-1B0A-436F-9948-B18B98C4B7AC.jpeg

• Haha 3

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Has @simmo posted at all the last couple of days.  Hoping all ok there.  Let us know if you are on the road to recovery.

• Like 4

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

11 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Has @simmo posted at all the last couple of days.  Hoping all ok there.  Let us know if you are on the road to recovery.

His wife wasn't well either.  Hope they are both alright.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I took a down turn. Temp shot up, burning pain in GIT and trouble breathing. I was very close to calling 999 last night.

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, simmo said:

I took a down turn. Temp shot up, burning pain in GIT and trouble breathing. I was very close to calling 999 last night.

Sorry to hear that @simmo. Go to the hospital or doctor asap.

Don't try and be a hero or sit there suffering.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

Sorry to hear that @simmo. Go to the hospital or doctor asap.

Don't try and be a hero or sit there suffering.

Agree. Definitely time to seek help/guidance now @simmo. You’ve struggled through so well but I don’t think you should still be getting worse a week later. Make that call, keep us posted and take care x

• Like 6