You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

The French aren't happy about the pension age rise.  The nationwide strike brought much of France to a standstill on Thursday with more than half a million people hitting the streets to protest the government's planned overhaul of the pension system, one of President Emmanuel Macron most ambitious reforms.  They have had it too good for a long time.  Long holidays and some people -  train drivers for example generally retiring in their early fifties.  When I lived there I thought they had a pretty cushy lifestyle and that was in the early 70s.  They relied heavily on migrants to work the long hours doing the jobs they didn't want to do.

On 16/12/2019 at 21:34, Toots said:

Not bad enough!  A very elderly lady with breathing problems.  Poor old soul and poor you too.  Not an easy time especially as you are to leave for Australia very soon.  How is your aunt now?

She's dying. There are 4 of us nieces and a nephew and we have a roster to be with her. The doctor told me tonight it will be hours, probably tonight. I was there all last night with zero sleep and then again this evening so I'm buggered. A couple of the others are sharing the night and I'm there  again at 9am, if she's still there. Looking at the deterioration i don't expect  her to be but she's a tough old bird, survived meningitis and pancreatic cancer. However at 92 her time is running out. Don't know how my dad will cope - he's 3.5 years her senior and we leave for Aus on Sunday!!!! Actually, my dad (her  brother)was also admitted to the same A&E last night and my fabulous husband stayed  with him and drove him back to the care home in discharge so neither of us got any sleep. 

Today has  been an absolute bugger. This week has  been the week from hell.

• Sad 3

Both of my parents died early, my mum when I was 16 and my dad in my late twenties.  I used to envy friends who still went shopping with mum etc.  now not so much as they are dealing with elderly and frail parents.  My husbands dad is still going at 90, just and he feels guilty that we are not there to care for him, but his sister is.  We did our share whilst in the UK when he had heart bypass and broken arm, it was us who drove him to stay with us until he recovered and me who went back with him to ensure he could cope again on his own so I don’t feel too guilty.  He isn’t the easiest of men........

• Like 2

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

She's dying. There are 4 of us nieces and a nephew and we have a roster to be with her. The doctor told me tonight it will be hours, probably tonight. I was there all last night with zero sleep and then again this evening so I'm buggered. A couple of the others are sharing the night and I'm there  again at 9am, if she's still there. Looking at the deterioration i don't expect  her to be but she's a tough old bird, survived meningitis and pancreatic cancer. However at 92 her time is running out. Don't know how my dad will cope - he's 3.5 years her senior and we leave for Aus on Sunday!!!! Actually, my dad (her  brother)was also admitted to the same A&E last night and my fabulous husband stayed  with him and drove him back to the care home in discharge so neither of us got any sleep. 

Today has  been an absolute bugger. This week has  been the week from hell.

Went through exactly the same with my father.  Within hours of leaving the hospital to drive to back to Canberra for work, he passed away. Hard to reconcile 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How are you feeling now @Bulya

I hope you are over the worst and feeling good for Christmas.

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

How are you feeling now @Bulya

I hope you are over the worst and feeling good for Christmas.

Like shite.  Didn’t realise I’d had a lesser version of Shingles last year and consequently I now have Neuralgia severe pain (damaged nerve endings).  

• Sad 4

IKNOWC but my aunt died this morning.  Given the pressure on the Crematorium and next week is Christmas I fully expect that she wont be cremated until after we get back from Australia.  If I miss the funeral, so be it, I was there with her when she needed me, she doesnt need me now.  My dad was understandably very upset but he's 95 (nearly 96!), he knows the score! My aunt and uncle didnt have kids of their own and were always fiercely independent so this is going to be a very trying time as my uncle (bedridden, totally) will have to rely on other people perhaps more than he has in the past.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bulya said:

Like shite.  Didn’t realise I’d had a lesser version of Shingles last year and consequently I now have Neuralgia severe pain (damaged nerve endings).  

Oh dear - any version of Shingles is a bugger!  My friend had oral shingles in February this year and there are still things she cant eat/drink and there's some numbness and pain in her face.  Probably too late for you but did you know you can get a shingles vaccine? Here in UK it's free at age 70 and I went and got mine the week I came back from my holiday having just turned 70.  I had it at 21 and have no intention of getting it again if I can avoid it.

Hope it doesnt spoil your Christmas!

8 minutes ago, Quoll said:

IKNOWC but my aunt died this morning.  Given the pressure on the Crematorium and next week is Christmas I fully expect that she wont be cremated until after we get back from Australia.  If I miss the funeral, so be it, I was there with her when she needed me, she doesnt need me now.  My dad was understandably very upset but he's 95 (nearly 96!), he knows the score! My aunt and uncle didnt have kids of their own and were always fiercely independent so this is going to be a very trying time as my uncle (bedridden, totally) will have to rely on other people perhaps more than he has in the past.

Sorry to hear that Quoll.

You are right though, you was there when she needed you in life.  As my dad says (repeatedly) "don't all gather around a wooden box - gather round when where alive". 

I've been expecting the worst, every day for the last few years now with my dad, just today he didn't answer the phone so i missed my xmas do to rush to his flat to check on him to find him sat up in his chair watching Drew Pritchard on the telly!!.  On my way i was going through the obituary and whether to call 999 or 111 or whether to call my sisters of hunt for his stash first...  

Anyway...  I hope you manage to get some respite over xmas.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Really sorry to hear that Quoll.  You gave her so much comfort in her final days, just so lovely. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, simmo said:

Sorry to hear that Quoll.

You are right though, you was there when she needed you in life.  As my dad says (repeatedly) "don't all gather around a wooden box - gather round when where alive". 

I've been expecting the worst, every day for the last few years now with my dad, just today he didn't answer the phone so i missed my xmas do to rush to his flat to check on him to find him sat up in his chair watching Drew Pritchard on the telly!!.  On my way i was going through the obituary and whether to call 999 or 111 or whether to call my sisters of hunt for his stash first...  

Anyway...  I hope you manage to get some respite over xmas.

May be worth getting cameras in your dads place simmo.  My mums not good (dementia) and I have set up cameras, one in her lounge and one in her bedroom. Without them I honestly don’t think she could remain in her own home. They are called ipixo and were inexpensive and so easy to set up. I have an app on my phone and can see her live at anytime. Just means I can check in on her a few times a day.  She now has carers go in daily and the cameras just give me a bit more peace of mind as they record too. The carers are all lovely so I don’t need to worry but it’s just an added extra. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Sorry about your aunt Quoll.   A very sad time for your family. 

• Like 1

Just left DVA after a visit to see if I can get a White Card.  If they don’t accept my expired Australian passports as part of my 100-point ID, I’m in trouble.  Lost my citizenship certificate years ago.  

At least 40 homes lost To bushfires this afternoon.  Pushes the total past 800 for NSW alone 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Bulya said:

At least 40 homes lost To bushfires this afternoon.  Pushes the total past 800 for NSW alone 

Awful! Going to be a very long hot  summer this year. (Hoping for a cool change before Wednesday!)

28 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Awful! Going to be a very long hot  summer this year. (Hoping for a cool change before Wednesday!)

Cool change Just hit after 39.3 today.  Temp dropped like a stone, but still 41 forecast for tomorrow.  

Edited by Bulya
Spellin

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Horrific and very scary.

27 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Cool change Just hit after 39.3 today.  Temp dropped like a stone, but still 41 forecast for tomorrow.  

It's lovely and cool here 20C and a breeze from the east.  We rarely get wind from that direction - nearly always from the north west.

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

My son days that anything 10m away is hazy from the smoke even though ACT hasn't copped a fire (yet). I'm not looking forward to this at all - beautiful crisp day here and don't even need a beanie. 

44 in Melbourne today.

We can get the hottest temperatures in Australia down here.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Daughter usually walks to work but too smoky today, so I drove her with the headlights on for safety.  And I don’t think I’ll be washing the towels today, which I do every Friday morning.  Yes, it’s very smoky today 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Daughter usually walks to work but too smoky today, so I drove her with the headlights on for safety.  And I don’t think I’ll be washing the towels today, which I do every Friday morning.  Yes, it’s very smoky today 

I've been regularly checking the Canberra Yacht Club website over the past week - handily accessed from the Windy website https://www.windy.com/?-25.919,135.483,5

The smoke looks horrific today.  

2 hours ago, Skani said:

I've been regularly checking the Canberra Yacht Club website over the past week - handily accessed from the Windy website https://www.windy.com/?-25.919,135.483,5

The smoke looks horrific today.  

We're astonished to see the smoke from the bushfires reaching Melbourne today, all the way from NSW

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Sat in head office surrounded by fools in silly hats, desks covered in tinsel, and stupid Xmas music playing... I would rather be inspecting defects on a roof, in the rain.....☹️.

I may have to create a site meeting somewhere.

• Haha 2

nasal whistling.  Is it an age thing?  Can it be treated?

asking for a friend.

• Haha 1