Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, newjez said:

Does anyone under the age of 70 use nets?

No one should use nets!  I don’t get nets ever.  Let’s spend a fortune on our dream house and furniture and cover every window with cheap, horrible white netting.... just why?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Parley said:

So which blinds should I buy that will suit my large windows ?

With your old vertical ones, did you ever have them pulled right back or always drawn but just tilted at times? If always drawn then I would definitely go for wooden Venetian blinds. Wide slate size, maybe 50mm, white and wood (not aluminium). If you pulled them back all the time you would find that a bit easier than pulling Venetians up. Not much different but I’d imagine you’d leave them down and just tilt them depending on day/night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2019 at 11:19, simmo said:

Get a woman's opinion. They normally know about this stuff

I’ve told him 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

With your old vertical ones, did you ever have them pulled right back or always drawn but just tilted at times? If always drawn then I would definitely go for wooden Venetian blinds. Wide slate size, maybe 50mm, white and wood (not aluminium). If you pulled them back all the time you would find that a bit easier than pulling Venetians up. Not much different but I’d imagine you’d leave them down and just tilt them depending on day/night. 

With the verticals, they are always in place and just rotated open during the day and rotated closed at night.

I shall have a look at the wooden venetians as you suggest. Thanks for your thoughts.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

With the verticals, they are always in place and just rotated open during the day and rotated closed at night.

I shall have a look at the wooden venetians as you suggest. Thanks for your thoughts.

I thought they’d always be in place.  Wooden Venetians would be good then, just as easy to tilt but much nicer. Good luck 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Parley said:

Will that style of blind stop people being able to see in at night when the lights are on inside ?

They do look nice. Thank you @Melbpom

The panel glides may offer a similar effect too.

Parley, our  family room has almost floor to ceiling windows, we didn’t want to block the view out in the day, but wanted a bit of privacy at night.

We bought the varisol? blinds. Somehow they keep the sun and heat out in the day, but you can see out. At night you can’t see through from outside, and don’t ask me how, they keep the heat in when closed in winter. We mostly leave them open in the day. I’ll try and find a photo, but they really do work, and leave the windows with nice clear view of outside.

never regretted the choice.

Might be an idea to go round  some show homes and open houses to get ideas?

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

No one should use nets!  I don’t get nets ever.  Let’s spend a fortune on our dream house and furniture and cover every window with cheap, horrible white netting.... just why?

Think it depends where you live. We have a 2 storey house, which overlooks a public area. Our bedroom has very very light weight mesh type curtains, mostly left closed in the day for privacy. Don’t want to shock anyone!!! We have a block out curtain behind for night. Works well for us and fairly popular concept here on the Sunny Coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Thinking again, I don't think Venetians will work because one of the windows is a sliding door to outside. So I think I need a blind that can slide to the left.

And if i want a consistent look in the room that may rule out venetians.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes. Thinking again, I don't think Venetians will work because one of the windows is a sliding door to outside. So I think I need a blind that can slide to the left.

And if i want a consistent look in the room that may rule out venetians.

We have a sliding door, just have the blind raised. Sliding one would be a pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you actually need anything to close during the day?  After all you have a pool outside so are happy to be seen in bathers!

If you only want to cover them at night then depending on the rest of your decor, curtains or vertical blinds that can be drawn right back.  Curtains are good with hard floors as the soften the room and muffle the sound, even when open.

We removed the vertical blinds on our similar doos because we never actually closed them, we aren’t overlooked and the double glazing keeps the heat in and the eaves manage the sun.  Allowing it in in winter but not in summer.

We do have curtains in our lounge room though and tbh that is where we end the evening, nice and cosy in winter and never closed in summer so we can see the sunsets.

  • Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ramot said:

A couple of photos Parley

346F8160-D87F-42BE-9B1F-736F04D11226.jpeg

21F7AA1A-19AE-4A4E-9018-0E2522D4CB96.jpeg

9194FAF4-A26E-4C90-92DF-5F6A8AACCF41.jpeg

Ps it’s a very cloudy morning so blinds showing up much darker than a normal sunny day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the UK they are for privacy at the front of the house, I wouldn't want passers by staring in.....no need for that in Oz though....

No one should use nets!  I don’t get nets ever.  Let’s spend a fortune on our dream house and furniture and cover every window with cheap, horrible white netting.... just why?
  • Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes. Thinking again, I don't think Venetians will work because one of the windows is a sliding door to outside. So I think I need a blind that can slide to the left.

And if i want a consistent look in the room that may rule out venetians.

Parley, I’d get a blind company round to suggest ideas and show you samples. Ask if they have a virtual app too as they should be able to take photos in your house and show you exactly what they’d look like 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2019 at 23:11, BacktoDemocracy said:

They are called transluscents now, floor to ceiling, choose the right thickness and they give light whilst dressing the window,  but all tho privacy in the day they are see thro at night with the light behind them so need something to draw over them like curtains, we found a local curtain shop which did make to measure very useful in advising and then fitting.

Tinted windows do the same job as nets - during the daytime you can see out without anyone being able to see in. At night (whether you have nets or tinted windows) you close the blinds.


Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2019 at 22:18, Parley said:

Yes. Thinking again, I don't think Venetians will work because one of the windows is a sliding door to outside. So I think I need a blind that can slide to the left.

And if i want a consistent look in the room that may rule out venetians.

We were thinking of these for our conservatory. We didn't order them as we thought we would see what it was like with no blinds first.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjpgI-M6MXlAhUW-VEKHf4GD8AYABAHGgJ3cw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2Tg37RcYN3Pu6IeGs7zwxTnHgTeoMUxfdCt7bigQu8Md5kgHM5uMnwZ8AxNv3uMrerWTCAcrIlWwMHa1Pj82P&sig=AOD64_0Fx4D4z6LPBYLXsGfi-x0hppZCNg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjwmISM6MXlAhXNSsAKHZWpCJ8Qwg96BAgKEBU&adurl=https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/perfect-fit-venetians/24530/perfectfit-celestial-grey.html%3Fgclid%3DCj0KCQjw6eTtBRDdARIsANZWjYYJAGwL6YNiIa-dWxms_UwQAifsXGDTjigKwPmRPciecNSHnMwBF7YaAkHTEALw_wcB

Not sure if there is an equivalent in Oz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, simmo said:

I looked at those for my cave but was coming up quite expensive.  Too much for what is essentially a shed anyway.

We're not overlooked, but the sun does blast through the windows in the summer. It can be quite hard to see it's so bright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight I am drinking gin with seven up and lemon juice.

And it's not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my smsts refresher yesterday (and the day before).  Much harder than the first one (5 years ago) and you are supposed to do it in 2 days (original is 5 days). 

I passed but half the class failed.  They have made it much tougher. 5x safety critical questions and you need all of them.  Someone had 90? Percent but got one of these wrong and failed.

Very intense and stressful 2 days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am listening to the birds twittering and singing and thinking how I don't miss the screechy birds that were around our suburb in Sydney.  One bird call that used to drive me nuts was from a bird called a koel.  It makes a persistent, monotonous cawing noise and there was one in a nearby large tree that never seemed to shut up.  I never actually saw it but I always knew when it was there.

My favourites are the fairy wrens, robins and blackbirds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Toots said:

I am listening to the birds twittering and singing and thinking how I don't miss the screechy birds that were around our suburb in Sydney.  One bird call that used to drive me nuts was from a bird called a koel.  It makes a persistent, monotonous cawing noise and there was one in a nearby large tree that never seemed to shut up.  I never actually saw it but I always knew when it was there.

My favourites are the fairy wrens, robins and blackbirds.

Oh, the bloody Koel!!!! We had one in Canberra for several years (or maybe more than one I dont know) but it would start at around 11pm and keep on going until 6am, it really near drove me bonkers!  I hope the damned thing has moved on by the time we get back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Oh, the bloody Koel!!!! We had one in Canberra for several years (or maybe more than one I dont know) but it would start at around 11pm and keep on going until 6am, it really near drove me bonkers!  I hope the damned thing has moved on by the time we get back!

Yep, it must be the most annoying bird call I've ever heard.  I love wildlife but so help me, there were times I was tempted to hunt it down and wring its neck.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

Yep, it must be the most annoying bird call I've ever heard.  I love wildlife but so help me, there were times I was tempted to hunt it down and wring its neck.

In our region, the Koel is called the rain bird, due to its arrival in the area at the same time as our “wet” starts.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bobj said:

In our region, the Koel is called the rain bird, due to its arrival in the area at the same time as our “wet” starts.

Cheers, Bobj.

I thought it was called the "Drive you Crazy" bird!!!  It sure does that!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×