register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

40 minutes ago, Parley said:

I am repainting everything white too. Dulux Natural White for the walls.

The house is about 25 years old. I have woodstain for all the window trim and door trim and skirting boards which is not seen so much nowadays. I decided to keep the woodstatin and am re staining it currently. It has come up nicely so far.

I'm not sure what style of blinds to get but am thinking of this panel glide style for the big living room windows. https://www.shadewell.com.au/internal-blinds/panel-glides-melbourne

We used Dulux diamond Matt. It's not cheap, but our walls were terrible, and it is very forgiving, and usually one coat was enough. Just used a cheap Matt paint for the mist coat where we had plastering done.

Blinds look nice btw.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, newjez said:

We used Dulux diamond Matt. It's not cheap, but our walls were terrible, and it is very forgiving, and usually one coat was enough. Just used a cheap Matt paint for the mist coat where we had plastering done.

Blinds look nice btw.

I'm not too sure of the difference between Matte and Low Sheen for the walls. The guy in the shop suggested Matte too.

I haven't bought the paint for the walls yet.

I want it all, and I want it now.

48 minutes ago, Parley said:

The house is about 25 years old. I have woodstain for all the window trim and door trim and skirting boards which is not seen so much nowadays. I decided to keep the woodstatin and am re staining it currently. It has come up nicely so far.

I'm not sure what style of blinds to get but am thinking of this panel glide style for the big living room windows. https://www.shadewell.com.au/internal-blinds/panel-glides-melbourne

Is it a window or door too? If just a window you may also want to look at the wooden blinds, so easy to tilt to what suits and they look good (large slats the nicest I think). They have them on that site you posted. 

Timber%20Venetians%20High%20Res%20(21)%2

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Parley said:

I'm not too sure of the difference between Matte and Low Sheen for the walls. The guy in the shop suggested Matte too.

I assume low sheen is a bit shiny, I’d go for Matt on the walls.  My walls are Matt, not keen on shiny/shimmery.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Is it a window or door too? If just a window you may also want to look at the wooden blinds, so easy to tilt to what suits and they look good (large slats the nicest I think). They have them on that site you posted. 

Timber%20Venetians%20High%20Res%20(21)%2

That's our lounge! Almost.

It is in fashion. The idea is you can dress the room without redecorating.

For me, painting every room in the house, it was just easier not thinking about colours.

We will probably start introducing colour as we redecorate.

In our last house, we had sixteen rooms, and we used to do two a year to keep on top of it. We have less rooms in our new house, but they are bigger, so we will do a room a year. But we will wait five years. I've had my fill for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Parley. I class you as one of my few friends on PIO so hopefully you won't take offense when I say DON'T BUY THOSE BLINDS!  

These look ok

http://www.australianwindowcovering.com.au/plantation-shutters.html

Edited by simmo
  • Like 2

Clocks back 1 hour.

Or if you are traveling to Australia put them back 25years. (Just kidding)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Parley. I class you as one of my few friends on PIO so hopefully you won't take offense when I say DON'T BUY THOSE BLINDS!  

These look ok

Thanks @simmo, no of course I don't take offense. 

I do like plantation shutters and think they look great on smaller windows. But I don't think they would look so good on floor to ceiling windows.

Here are my windows I have taken the vertical blinds and pelmets off ready to paint. One of these is a sliding door too. The main windows in the living areas are large windows like this.

WP_20191027_08_54_11_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

I do like plantation shutters and think they look great on smaller windows. But I don't think they would look so good on floor to ceiling windows.

Here are my windows I have taken the vertical blinds and pelmets off ready to paint. One of these is a sliding door too. The main windows in the living areas are large windows like this.

Get a woman's opinion. They normally know about this stuff

8 hours ago, simmo said:

These look ok

Completely agree. I love shutters but they are pricey so I suggested the wooden blinds that look similar without the price tag. No to the panel gliding ones for sure 

8 hours ago, simmo said:

These look ok

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Nice pool 

On 26/10/2019 at 11:59, newjez said:

Never thought about that before

They (pelmets) are one of the first items on a list of a home energy audit here.    For people in rentals who can't make structural changes it's even recommended that temporary ones of cardboard are better than none at all.    But all the pelmets I've known are plain wooden ones - not those horrible things tarted up with material.     Also, all the pelmets I've known are about  a quarter of the depth of those in Parley's photo:  never seen any as deep as that before.

Edited by Skani

On 26/10/2019 at 12:43, tonyman said:

Yes... Can't remember the last time I actually saw a pelmet and I'm inside different properties every day.....

Yes, but West Australia doesn't have to be as conscious of insulating against cold as Tasmania and Victoria   (though they help with insulating against external heat too).

On 27/10/2019 at 08:40, Tulip1 said:

If just a window you may also want to look at the wooden blinds, so easy to tilt to what suits and they look good (large slats the nicest I think). 

They do look good and the tilting function is useful but, be warned Parley, they are a pain to dust - and they show the dust, at least the plain wooden ones do.  I have them on 4 of my smaller windows.  I don't know if painted ones would  be easier to keep clean.

• Like 1

So which blinds should I buy that will suit my large windows ?

Edited by Parley

22 hours ago, Skani said:

They (pelmets) are one of the first items on a list of a home energy audit here.    For people in rentals who can't make structural changes it's even recommended that temporary ones of cardboard are better than none at all.    But all the pelmets I've known are plain wooden ones - not those horrible things tarted up with material.     Also, all the pelmets I've known are about  a quarter of the depth of those in Parley's photo:  never seen any as deep as that before.

Would suggest poor building techniques if cold bridging is that much of an issue.

30 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Not the panel gliding ones. Maybe these:

https://www.luxaflex.com.au/products/blinds/veri-shades/

Will that style of blind stop people being able to see in at night when the lights are on inside ?

They do look nice. Thank you @Melbpom

The panel glides may offer a similar effect too.

Edited by Parley

6 hours ago, Parley said:

So which blinds should I buy that will suit my large windows ?

curtains and nets......its a no brainer.....

17 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Does anyone under the age of 70 use nets?

I need a Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

58 minutes ago, Parley said:

I need a Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

I've got a wife that does that. I just nod and pay the bills.

On 26/10/2019 at 22:34, Parley said:

Low sheen has a slight gloss to it, because it reflects light slightly it shows blemishes up rather than hiding them as matt does, good matt will also fill minor pin holes rather accentuating them, a good matt will also be more cleanable than cheap.

Sheen paints resist moisture penetration and are suited to bathrooms and kitchens where they clean better.

3 hours ago, newjez said:

Does anyone under the age of 70 use nets?

They are called transluscents now, floor to ceiling, choose the right thickness and they give light whilst dressing the window,  but all tho privacy in the day they are see thro at night with the light behind them so need something to draw over them like curtains, we found a local curtain shop which did make to measure very useful in advising and then fitting.

11 hours ago, kungfustu said:

No nets 😫

• Haha 1