Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Recommended Posts

Checked the year’s rainfall; 31 inches.We are in a 70-75 inch area!

Not that any one cares...

Cheers, Bobj.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been p!ssing down all night.  Never seen so much rain since Mackay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Reminds me that my own whinges are so insignificant.

Not at all. I think men are usually a woman’s largest whinge haha. I need to be careful otherwise Cerberus will ban me.


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, champagne tastes and beer income.  I just wish he'd wake up to himself!

Maybe he is having a midlife crisis.


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bulya said:

I’ve been stung in the neckby a bee.  Not unusual you’d say, but it bloody well is when it happens in the bathroom...

Sorry for laughing but it was the fact it happened in the bathroom. 


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Checked the year’s rainfall; 31 inches.We are in a 70-75 inch area!

Not that any one cares...

Cheers, Bobj.

 

It hasn’t done your mango trees any harm. How are the bananas going?

  • Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, simmo said:

Its been p!ssing down all night.  Never seen so much rain since Mackay.

I didn’t know you lived in Mackay.


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I didn’t know you lived in Mackay.

I didn't but i stayed there a bit for work and part of my job was to source aggregates and all the quarries where in Central Qld where full of water due the the rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ramot said:

Yes, came as a shock, was diagnosed after breaking my arm badly. Wouldn’t describe myself as fit!!! but I had regularly gone to a gym several times a week for years before breaking my arm

My level was very low, definitely well below borderline, and had almost no Vitamin D, crazy after living in a sunny climate for years.

I am on a Prolia injection every 6 months plus take calcium and vit D daily, have regular scans which show a marked improvement over the last 5/6 plus years. There are mixed reports about Prolia, but apart from everyone having to be careful when needing dental work, eg. having to have a tooth out recently, I have had no side effects. Your dentist needs to know if you are on Prolia.

I have to pay and claim for my scans, but as far as I know in Qld they are free on Medicare up to a certain age? Srcript costs $39.

If caught early meds do seem to help.

Hope that helps.

Oh yes, thank you! I wouldn't have known if I hadn't come to Australia … the nurse at my medical told me that I had my height wrong. She said I was two inches less than I thought. I knew right away there might be a problem but I just sort of convinced myself that she must have made a mistake … stupid I know but there you are. Then a couple of weeks ago I saw something on Facebook of all places saying "Getting Shorter?"  and urging over fifties to get a bone density test. So off I went - I was absolutely horrified - had thought I was fairly fit and well preserved till then. I've got my head round it a bit now, the doc. wants me to take Prolia but I had read scary things about it on doctor Google. So your comments are really helpful.

I've had a very encouraging first visit to a remedial gym and am feeling much more positive. Thank you so much for your comments. 

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 2

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I was diagnosed a month back. They said my bone density scan came back as having bones of someone who was nearly 80. I’m 46.

The specialist is really serious about it and I just laughed at him and said it’s least of my worries. He then tipped an empty cup on to my hand and said next year that will have broke your hand. Like I said I still don’t take it serious.

He told me there are meds he wants to start me on, but I need to have my teeth done first and two wisdom teeth out. He also said that the meds you can only be on for so many years and then they have to stop them and they usually stay in your body a little bit longer but because of my age he wants to hang on. My other issue is every time I have my treatment (admitted for a week every 2 weeks) I get meningitis and the only thing that helps is dexamethasone and you aren’t suppose to have steroids when you have osteoporosis. 

Pom Queen that's awful for you. I hope you get the meds for osteoporosis sorted out because according to Ramot they can help a lot.   Now I feel like a whingeing pom ...

  • Like 1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

It hasn’t done your mango trees any harm. How are the bananas going?

Cut 4. Inches in 4 days then dug out the corms. No use to keep watering the bananas when I don’t eat them.

Cheers, Bobj.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Sorry for laughing but it was the fact it happened in the bathroom. 

I went outside to disconnect the battery charger from our daughters car,  It probably landed on my white shirt and came in with me. Heard a buzz and then whack it got me.  Been so many years, I guess I was  overdue 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I was diagnosed a month back. They said my bone density scan came back as having bones of someone who was nearly 80. I’m 46.

The specialist is really serious about it and I just laughed at him and said it’s least of my worries. He then tipped an empty cup on to my hand and said next year that will have broke your hand. Like I said I still don’t take it serious.

He told me there are meds he wants to start me on, but I need to have my teeth done first and two wisdom teeth out. He also said that the meds you can only be on for so many years and then they have to stop them and they usually stay in your body a little bit longer but because of my age he wants to hang on. My other issue is every time I have my treatment (admitted for a week every 2 weeks) I get meningitis and the only thing that helps is dexamethasone and you aren’t suppose to have steroids when you have osteoporosis. 

Still have wisdom teeth at 46?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

Its been p!ssing down all night.  Never seen so much rain since Mackay.

When was that @simmo? Mackay received 24” in 6 hours, next day, we got 17” in 9 hours. That wasValentine’s Day, 2008.

 Cheers, Bobj.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bobj said:

When was that @simmo? Mackay received 24” in 6 hours, next day, we got 17” in 9 hours. That wasValentine’s Day, 2008.

 Cheers, Bobj.

All I remember was we couldn't source any aggregate for weeks because all the quarries in the region were full with water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 18:28, Fisher1 said:

Pom Queen that's awful for you. I hope you get the meds for osteoporosis sorted out because according to Ramot they can help a lot.   Now I feel like a whingeing pom ...

I’m in hospital again now and the first thing they said to me was they were getting the endocrinologist back in to see me so I will have a chat again. In fact when I discharged myself the last stay I was suppose to be seeing him that day.

I know last time he said lots of weight bearing exercises are suppose to work but because I’m in the wheelchair he says there is nothing I can do. But if you are both able to I’d keep on your feet as long as you can and have a chat with a Physio. He also said that because of my age Medicare only allowed one bone density scan a year and he really wants to do them every 4 months on me. Do you know if that’s the same for older people (that Medicare only approve one). 

  • Sad 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 18:58, Bobj said:

Cut 4. Inches in 4 days then dug out the corms. No use to keep watering the bananas when I don’t eat them.

Cheers, Bobj.

 

Very true. Nats veggie garden had done really well but then overnight a number of the leaves have gone brown. He thinks it’s because the majority is compost rather than soil.

‘I also think it’s because he waters them when it’s still hot, it’s been over 40 here for most of last week and he puts the sprinklers on when the sun is out instead of waiting.

He dug up the laneway that you recommended it fills straight away with weeds so he doesn’t know how to stop that happening so he can plant his plants. 


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 18:59, Bulya said:

I went outside to disconnect the battery charger from our daughters car,  It probably landed on my white shirt and came in with me. Heard a buzz and then whack it got me.  Been so many years, I guess I was  overdue 

You were very unlucky as I think most of the native bees don’t sting

 


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched an interesting program on SBS earlier this evening "The Doctor Who Took Kids Off Drugs".  Apparently Calpol is vastly overused these days.  One GP said “We have children almost addicted to paracetamol, to Calpol. Not the drug itself, but the process.  Some children just take it as a matter of course.  Kiss Mummy and Daddy goodnight and take a dose of Calpol.  No cold or fever, they just expect it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondered how they would know- I thought calpol was an over the counter medication? Perhaps you have to have a script these days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 18:03, simmo said:

I didn't but i stayed there a bit for work and part of my job was to source aggregates and all the quarries where in Central Qld where full of water due the the rain. 

I wish it would rain now, we are in a fully declared drought area and having to cart water in. Along with over 58% of Queensland it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better anytime soon. It’s the same for NSW they are struggling with 98% of the state in one of the three drought categories 

42BB0B31-1527-432C-A501-6FF81E6D98AB.png

 

92A07ACA-D0FA-4C74-9CF7-85BE7E15050B.jpeg

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’m in hospital again now and the first thing they said to me was they were getting the endocrinologist back in to see me so I will have a chat again. In fact when I discharged myself the last stay I was suppose to be seeing him that day.

I know last time he said lots of weight bearing exercises are suppose to work but because I’m in the wheelchair he says there is nothing I can do. But if you are both able to I’d keep on your feet as long as you can and have a chat with a Physio. He also said that because of my age Medicare only allowed one bone density scan a year and he really wants to do them every 4 months on me. Do you know if that’s the same for older people (that Medicare only approve one). 

I haven’t had to have more than one a year, and because they are so pleased with my improvement it will now be every 2 years, but I don’t have Medicare. I don’t really know what I am talking about, but for my age etc. I was minus 3-3. The danger point is minus 2-5. I am now 2-8 I think, and the joke is one leg is better than the other? I don’t do any weight bearing exercise as it sets my arm and shoulder off plus my neck is bad, but I do walk most days.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Wondered how they would know- I thought calpol was an over the counter medication? Perhaps you have to have a script these days? 

It's a commonly used over the counter pain relief in liquid form for children (in the UK).  Probably similar to the liquid panadol here.   The  children don't dose themselves - the parents do.  One Mum had bottles of the stuff - in the kitchen drawer and upstairs in the bathroom and bedroom drawers.   Apparently parents get into the habit of giving it at bedtime in the hope it will calm a restless child and everyone can get a good night's sleep.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 20:02, Bulya said:

Still have wisdom teeth at 46?  

Ive still got mine at 66

  • Like 1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×