Has anybody got an OZ IT Job from abroad?

watneyni

Hi All,

Due to the PR Oz Visa re-shuffle on the 23rd September, I have decided to get a job in Sydney (am an experienced investment banking IT Project Manager) on a 457 visa, rather than wait the 2/3 years for my PR Visa to go through. If I am unable to secure a job from the UK, I plan to visit Oz for 2 weeks in February to try and get a job, and then, move the family over...Has anybody done this approach and/or could offer any advice about good IT agencies etc? I have been told my skills are in demand, but am finding it hard to secure OZ roles from the UK.

Any advise or your experiences would be welcomed?

Thanks

Nick

Guest bateman

I have just got a job in IT in Sydney. I'd recommend that you:

- make sure that you have an up-to-date and complete linkedin profile

- use the seek.com.au site to find potential roles

- speak to recruitment consultants - plaxus are a good one

- have relevant qualifications in project management (prince etc)

- use your network (the best way to get any job)

Two weeks isn't very long to find a job!

I have spoken to agencies in Brisbane with respect to getting a job whilst still in the UK. They told me that Sydney and ACT companies are far more likely to set up remote interviews than Brisbane where interviewing is a more personal interaction process. One agency compared it with getting a London job or a non-city job in the UK, where London companies are more likely to adopt remote interviews than other areas of the UK.

Importantly though, as bateman said, speak to the Sydney recruitment consultants. I have found it more effective to apply to an ad on seek or jobserve followed up with a call to the agency, they take a lot of persuading to believe that you are committed to moving.

Guest CaptainCook

Hi Watneyni,

Just to say that you are not alone in this!

I am also an IT professional (Infosec) and am having similar difficulties as yourself. Also, I am heading out in Feb with my wife and kids and will try to line up work before hand. From contacting the various agents (through seek.com.au) I have had very limited responses. In the UK i usually get a few responses, but this was rather eerie and was wondering if there was no work out there, or if they just dont like Brits...

I wonder if it is worthwhile scanning the plane tickets / visa and emailing them along with CV to the agencies - positive proof that you have the right to work and are actually coming over, rather than being a time waster?

Another thing I have heard, but have yet to try myself, is to contact the businesses directly. I must admit it sounds a bit daft, but I may try this approach if i get nearer the time and have had no bites.

Anyway, would be good if you want to compare notes nearer the time.

Good luck!

Jon

Jon,

Suggestions have been to buy an oz number through skype and forward it to a UK mobile (cost $30 for 3 months) and also put an Oz address on your CV. This approach i will adapt about 4 weeks before i go to Oz in Feb. I have been told there is work and an IT skill shortage in Sydney, but agencies are reluctant to deal with foreign CVs.

If your skills are on the CSL list (mine are borderline), then Lester associates (accountancy firm - > Lester Associates - Good Migration - Temporary Business (Long Stay) ) will sponsor you on a 457 providing you find a job yourself and you put your accounts through them. (Limitations are the contract must be al least 6 months and pay over $50 per hour). This is ratified by the Oz government. Lesters have confirmed they can Sponsor me, so therefore, you can approach any company/agency saying that you have the relevant visa to work. I used this method when I was last working in Australia in 2000 and would recommend them.

Good luck Jon and please stay in contact. I plan to land in Sydney at the end of Feb and will go hell for leather to find a job. The thought of wating 2/3 years for the PR visa is driving us all nuts, so hence this approach. Regards Nick

I have used an Oz number and email in lieu of my UK contact details and agencies appear to be ready to speak whereas before you'd have to be the only exact match to get a sniff at a job even though I have a PR visa. However, just like the Uk, the IT job market seems to be controlled by agencies - even government jobs.

Direct marketing can work in the UK for a very small percentage of jobs but, in my experience, you are far more likely to get a job through an agency. It may be that I am not good at marketing, but other IT bods I know experience the same thing.

Archived