We will have no phone when we land, what do we do?

Guest Glynn2547

Guest Glynn2547

Hi,

advise please from anybody living currently living in WA. When we land in Perth on the 1st December this will be the start of our new life. We would have cancelled all our contracts with our current phone service providers. Where can we get a cheap sim card as we will have no other way of communication?

all advise welcome

Kind regards

Glynn and Wendy:smile:

Hi there, we have been in Perth almost a year. When we arrived we got our UK mobiles unlocked and got a Vodafone pay as you go sim card. $49 per month gives me $350 worth of credit.

From memory it cost $45 to have my mobile unlocked and a bit more for my husband.

Enjoy your last few weeks and good luck with your move.

Karen x

Guest Glynn2547

Thanks Karen,my wifes phone is unlocked already so that is one job done. I think we will be trying to look for cheap text messages mainly so my wife can text family back in the uk and they can then call us on the phone using discount dial at 0.5p per minute.

I think we will have to make it up as we go along and it will all form part of the experience

Thanks again to all

Glynn and Wend

Get your phone unlocked before you come to Oz, much cheaper and then just pick a service provider and ask for a pre-paid sim card. I am with Optus and my sim card cost me $4 and I use about $30-40 of credit a month but you can top-up when you need to really easily!

Your welcome.

One other thing you may find helpful - we have got a landline telephone card, there are plenty but we have have one from Australian Telecom - for $20 we get 1,000 minutes from our landline to a UK landline. You can buy these from most news agents and they last for 3 months from the date you first use them. The only downside is you have to dial a number then enter a 13 digit code, but we think its a small price to pay for staying in touch with family and friends for very little cost.

Good luck

Karen x

we just bought a vodafone sim card and for $45 you get $350+ credit which lasts a month and we used that when we first arrived plus used internet cafes to email back home to keep everyone up to date..shop around when you get here for pay as you go phones as they all have different offers...vodafone worked best where we were living and it was great for the first two months we lived in temporary accommodation

I bought a couple of "australian" sim cards from ebay before we came over, so that we had something to use straight away. They were only a couple of pound. You do have to make sure your phone is unlocked first, but at least I didn't have to worry about sorting out mobile contracts and stuff for a while! It is expensive to unlock a phone over here and when my hubbie tried to get his unlocked, they couldn't even do it! His was locked to virgin and it wouldn't even take an australian virgin sim card. Apparently, the virgin locked phones are different to the virgin phones over here!?????? So, I definately recommend unlocking before you come! If you want, I can send you a couple of vodaphone sim cards so that you have them straight away. They're only $2 each, so won't cost you anything! Send me a PM with your address if you want me to pop a couple in the post for you!

Good luck with your move!

Lynn x

Guest tester23

Yes, buy a sim card (and a new phone if you want) and that will get you an Aussie phone number. Once you have found a house, you will need to contact your chosen landline provider and ask them to connect your residence up and then you will get a new landline number also

Guest beckerboodles

hi, defo get the phone unlocked before you come, the uk provider should do that for you - sometimes they charge tho - but only about £10.

then you buy a sim card from any provider, i think they have them at the newsagents at the airport. when you come through arrivals, you will need to go upstairs in the airport which is where all the shops are, ( as if you are going to departures) or you can simply get them from a supermarket or shop once you have settled into whever you are staying.

Good Luck!

Guest dpm31567

unlock before you come but for contacting uk get skype on your mobile or laptop

you can pre load credit on your account and phone uk landlines for 2 cents a minute

if you dont get internet straight away either wifi for someones unlocked or head to maccas grab a coffee and get free wifi

Archived