register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Mike C

UK mobile phones in Oz.

Guest Mike C

Can a Uk mobile be used easily in Oz? (Mine has not been unlocked)

And what would the usage charges be calling a another phone in Oz when in Oz? Would it factor in anything extra?

Guest Global

As long as they are unlocked to accpet any network sim cards then there should not be a problem, the only phones you may have problems with are Iphone and possibly 3 network.

You can also get pay and go sims for Australian networks prior to going out there, i got one from E-Bay on vodafone.

Get them unlocked before you leave. I have had many unlocked by a "little man in the market" for a tenner. It's far more difficult here.

If you and your family get sims for the same network then calls from mobile to mobile can be free otherwise cost depends on time and the plan you get. The telco you go with will probably depend on where you live - urban or rural - and the coverage you get in your area. Telstra has the best coverage but is the most expensive, 3 works only in metropolitan areas then it roams (expensively) onto Telstra. I have mine on Virgin and it has been pretty good - used to be with Optus but couldnt read their bills:biglaugh:

If you want to send picture messages or browse the net then you will need to get the new telco's settings sent to your phone because the UK settings (obviously) wont work. You will also still have the UK flashware on the phone as well - so when it opens up it will still say O2 (or whatever company).

I used to be with Vodafone and switched from a contract to pre-paid before I left the UK. They unlocked my phone for free without my even having to ask them if they would.

If you are only going for a short visit, check with your mobile co. to either switch to an international roaming plan or just enable your phone to make and accept calls whilst overseas. Some firms charge more than others and some may not cover the area where you will be so do check before you go.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos