VETASSESS qualification/experience requirements email response

Guest stevep3

Guest stevep3

Hi all,

My story is that I'm looking to retrain and then migrate.

i have read many posts trying to find out what experience you need, not just on this site, and have found varied answers so i emailed VETASSESS

I said:

I have looked through the site and faqs and cannot find if there is a minimum number of years experiance as an electrician needed

They said:

Dear Steve,

The assessment process is based on a competency framework. This means, we are assessing the skills and knowledge that applicants possess, not on qualifications they have acquired throughout their working life or on how long they have worked in the industry.

It is often the case that applicants will acquire competencies in their trade outside a formal educational context, such as through work experience. All applicants will be assessed to see whether they meet Australian standards. General information about the Trade Skills Assessment can be found on our website and by downloading a Trade Assessment Guide. The specific standards applicable to your occupation can be accessed by downloading a Trade Fact Sheet. It is also highly advisable that you complete the Self-Assessment Tool (also available on our website). This will provide an applicant with idea of the competencies they need to possess.

It is worth noting that if you do not hold a formal qualification, you will need to provide evidence to VETASSESS that you can meet the standards for your nominated occupation. This can be done through work references, position descriptions, work logs/journals etc. All applicants will be assessed in the Competency Profile stage to determine if you broadly meet the requirements for a Practical Skills Assessment.

One of the benefits of this assessment process is that people who are successful will be awarded an Offshore Technical Skills Record (for licensed trades). This will enable applicants to have their skills recognised in Australia more readily after they have gone through the migration process.

In terms of the number of years work experience, VETASSESS does not have any formal requirements. It may very well be that work experience will give an applicant broader skills and knowledge in their trade and this will help them in the assessment process. If you do not hold a formal qualification you will need a minimum of two years work experience. They may, however, have further requirements with the Department of Immigration.

Anyway thats the response i got if anyones experience differs or if you've got any advice on retraining as an electrician (I'm looking at doing a fast track course then working for someone for a couple of years to gain experience) please let me know.

Steve

Guest 0113 danny

Hi Steve,

Yep! thats what you gotta do!

Retrain as a spark and get at least 2 years experience working in the field.

Try and work for a big reputable company as its easier to prove.

If you work for a number of small outfits over the 2 years you need references from them all.

If some go bust/disappear/refuse then you have problems provng you worked there.

If you work self employed then it becomes much more difficult to prove.

Work for a recognised firm then a simple referance from the boss will do it.

How long it takes to retrain as a spark I dont know!

Make sure the retraining provides you with the licenses required by vetasses.

Thats what I did but in carpentry.

Its taken 3 years but I've just passed the vetasses practical so am ready to apply for visa.

Unfortunately all trades have been taken off critical list.

Have been told to wait about 2/3 years for visa!

By the time you pass vetasses the situation may have changed, you may be able to walk straight in!

Its the perfect time to do it since they're not giving visas to trades right now.

Hope this helps.

Guest stevep3

cheers Danny,

yeah i've been looking at it and as u said the visas aint in a good state at the moment and with the recession causing problems to. i was considering going over and studying but no guarantee of residency and it aint cheap specially with the pound being week. so as you say I'm gonna re train by the time i've done that visas and the recession should be sorted (hopefully) will give me time to save up some more money to.

cheers for the advice about the working bigger companies will look to do that.

Guest SO,DIZZY
Hi all,

My story is that I'm looking to retrain and then migrate.

i have read many posts trying to find out what experience you need, not just on this site, and have found varied answers so i emailed VETASSESS

I said:

I have looked through the site and faqs and cannot find if there is a minimum number of years experiance as an electrician needed

They said:

Dear Steve,

The assessment process is based on a competency framework. This means, we are assessing the skills and knowledge that applicants possess, not on qualifications they have acquired throughout their working life or on how long they have worked in the industry.

It is often the case that applicants will acquire competencies in their trade outside a formal educational context, such as through work experience. All applicants will be assessed to see whether they meet Australian standards. General information about the Trade Skills Assessment can be found on our website and by downloading a Trade Assessment Guide. The specific standards applicable to your occupation can be accessed by downloading a Trade Fact Sheet. It is also highly advisable that you complete the Self-Assessment Tool (also available on our website). This will provide an applicant with idea of the competencies they need to possess.

It is worth noting that if you do not hold a formal qualification, you will need to provide evidence to VETASSESS that you can meet the standards for your nominated occupation. This can be done through work references, position descriptions, work logs/journals etc. All applicants will be assessed in the Competency Profile stage to determine if you broadly meet the requirements for a Practical Skills Assessment.

One of the benefits of this assessment process is that people who are successful will be awarded an Offshore Technical Skills Record (for licensed trades). This will enable applicants to have their skills recognised in Australia more readily after they have gone through the migration process.

In terms of the number of years work experience, VETASSESS does not have any formal requirements. It may very well be that work experience will give an applicant broader skills and knowledge in their trade and this will help them in the assessment process. If you do not hold a formal qualification you will need a minimum of two years work experience. They may, however, have further requirements with the Department of Immigration.

Anyway thats the response i got if anyones experience differs or if you've got any advice on retraining as an electrician (I'm looking at doing a fast track course then working for someone for a couple of years to gain experience) please let me know.

Steve

just a wee note steve as you say you are looking at retraining as an electrician.. in Australia what is considered adequate in terms of qualifications for a spark are quite different from the uk and quals are not recognised as sufficiant in many parts of Australia(i think they train a lot longer in oz for quals) many electricians go to Australia and find themselves having to retrain to increase there skills as the Australian electrical systems are different they regard overseas electricians credentials not to be up to there standards and a lot of electricians have to start in less well payed positions untill they have attained the Australian level of competency... mabey look at another trade.. good luck anyway..

dizz..:wink:

Guest 0113 danny

Hi Steve,

Once you get on a retraining course, get yourself an agent.

Its money well spent!

They will structure your vetassess application for you.

I couldn't have done it without one.

I worked for numerous small companies as a sub contractor and had real difficulty proving it.

Build up a photographic work portfolio with you on the pictures, dates, job discriptions etc.

Keep all payslips, tax records, time sheets etc.

2 years of this is all you need, it must be 2 years continuous, full time.

Once you pass the paper based assessment you move onto the practical exam.

For my trade this was very basic stuff and by far the easiest part of the whole process.

I've heard the electricians assessment is equally basic.

Just crack on with the retraining.

Good luck.

Guest stevep3

cheers danny

witch agent did you use?

been looking into it and might have to start with a smaller company to gain experience before bigger companies will look at me so will keep as much info as possible.

cheers dizz

the way I'm looking at it as I've always had an interested in been an electrician and if i make it to oz or not i wanna be doing a job i like. but if uve got any suggestions for trades that transfer straight across?

Not quite the same but I am looking at the opportunity to come in on an Employer Nomination, however the ASCO code for my area (Sales Rep - ICT 2222-13) says that experience can replace formal qualifications but then to be assessed the VETASSESS site says you have to have formal qualifications. I have written to VETASSESS but wondered if anyone here knew something about this?

Archived