Anything going to happen to De Facto on 20 October

Guest wesleycarney

Guest wesleycarney

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there are going to be any changes to the defacto visa application on 20/10. Its just im about to pay my agent to start processing my visa and worried I might not be able to satisfy every requirment if the rules change. Any help is appreciated.

Guest wesleycarney

Hi Alan, this is just something that I saw on a thread about a defacto visa, please see below:

thats reallt positive for me. im waiting on a 176 visa i lodged march this year. i am currently in aus on a tourist visa with my ausie girl (together 2 and a half years).

i thought by now they would have granted it but we are thinking of paying another $2500 for the defacto..... what do you reckon. i cant even work but dont wanna have to leave her when this eta visa runs out. we are struggling financially and im going out of my mind as i cant work.

what do you reckon.... just pay another $2500, or wait till this meeting on the 20th october everyones talking about???

decisiions decisions...

any advise would be fantastic,

thanks

Guest wanderer

From what I understand Wesley the 20/10 meeting that has been referred to is a Senate Committe hearing and I imagine the Senators will be more interested to hear of what is happening within immigration on the Student visas and GSM priorities fronts, the Minister likely to just answer re what the department is looking at in those areas to deal with economic conditions.

I'd not see Family Migration getting much of a mention and in any case a Senate hearing is far removed from making new legislation, the pathway for that being

. Senate Committee Hearing

. Report to the Senate

. Senate Findings [ months to years later] with recommendations etc.

. Minister decides if action is needed

. Discusses with Department and a Working Committee formed.

. Along the track there can be green and white papers produced

. Something may finally get to the House of Representatives where legislation is made.

. Senate ratifies it

. Governor General signs off on it I believe.

I'm no political expert and it could vary from the above and even include more but legislative changes are very slow to produce unless a new government has a fresh mandate from a recent election or some emergency has arisen.

The Immigaration Act/Regulations do give Ministers a certain ammount of room within which to give directions or accept advice from senior public servants re variations within legislation and that includes the likes of changes this year which have been all about setting priorities and having a cap in place.

Have you had a look @ Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100) yourself for eligibility is rather straightforward and there's a Checklist in the Äpplying for Visa" section and you will need to get all the info to present to an agent.

All sorts of helpful advice in the links and in http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

All in relatively plain english if you want to be a DIYer and save quite a few bob.

<snip>

Have you had a look @ Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100) yourself for eligibility is rather straightforward and there's a Checklist in the Äpplying for Visa" section and you will need to get all the info to present to an agent.

All sorts of helpful advice in the links and in http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

All in relatively plain english if you want to be a DIYer and save quite a few bob.

Wanderer,

Why the unnecessary comment please? The OP did not ask for observations on engaging an advisor.

Best regards.

Guest wesleycarney

Hi Wanderer

Thanks for the info. I am using an agent as my situation is not as straight forward as others and was hoping that this "20/10" meeting wasnt going to make it harder for me!!!!

Guest wanderer
Hi Alan,

Wanderer,

Why the unnecessary comment please? The OP did not ask for observations on engaging an advisor.

Best regards.

Don't consider it unnecessary Alan but more just supplementary, coming from the DIY bushie in me.

But I'd hope you would agree there is no harm in applicants making themselves even just a tad familiar with what immi expect.

And Wesley, re

I am using an agent as my situation is not as straight forward as others

That kind of rings alarm bells for me and Alan may want to comment.

For the eligibility criteria are easy enough to see and you either meet them or not and there is only so much an agent can do to dress up your situation.

I've seen some agents make comments that they will not handle a client if they think your application is questionable as to success and I'm sure Alan would be of like mind.

I hope you are not in contact with an agent who has a different attitude.

Wesley, that poster mentioned the date in reference to his 176 visa application.

We will be lodging our spouse visa shortly after the 20th (waiting on my British police certificate to arrive) and are carrying on as normal. There has been no ministerial announcements in relation to changes to family visas that we have seen so we're proceeding as normal as I reckon you should. :smile:

Best of luck :smile:

Wanderer, your advice is a bit off-putting actually and although I think you are just trying to help, I think you are actually just adding further worry and stress to what is already a complicated enough process.

Applying for a partner visa is bloody hard on ones emotions as it is without someone adding further worry to the pot unnecessarily.

Wesley, here's an extra best of luck :hug:

Guest wesleycarney

Funnily enough I am using GoMatilda and they have said even though my case is a tricky one they will still take it on but there might be chance of failure!!!! Its a chance I am prepared to take I suppose as they are a reputable firm and I think I have more of a chance using a agent compared to not using one!!!!

Guest wanderer
Happy Lass,

Wanderer, your advice is a bit off-putting actually and although I think you are just trying to help, I think you are actually just adding further worry and stress to what is already a complicated enough process.

Applying for a partner visa is bloody hard on ones emotions as it is without someone adding further worry to the pot unnecessarily.

I have done the process myself HL, in the most unusual of circumstances and certainly know of the emotional stakes and I only wish we had the internet to use then, even if it was just to get ready access to the requirements.

I think Wesley has a handle on that and in my book, sometimes having the info can stop worry building.

I trust GoMatilda steers him along the path well.

Archived