Why More Northern Folk than Southern in Oz.

Guest flipflop

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its alright just do like the aussies smile nod and carry on. 9 times out of ten they haven't understood you but hey why let that get in the way of a conversation.

Thats not you being cynical re the aussies is it?:biggrin:

OK guys

This thread has been tidied up and some posts removed ,, please refrain from attacking each other and bear in mind we are all different and all have different views, as a member YOU NEED to respect this.

Now lets play nicely , Thankyou

Cal x

Lots of Aussies have mistaken our accent for Scottish or Irish, me in particular :huh:

Sue x

Alrite sue!mad mate isnt it! what do they make of ilkley moor baht'at mucker!:biglaugh:

Coz yorkshire people,dee do dat dont de do:wubclub:

Lots of Aussies have mistaken our accent for Scottish or Irish, me in particular :huh:

Sue x

Sue thats funny my Robyn, in Brisbane, says that everyone she meets thinks she from Ireland :biglaugh: Now your accent and hers could definatley not be any more different!:biglaugh:

Dont yer think yer taking things a bit serious mucker?most people are just arsing round,nothing serious like,imo anyway

This forum is great but I hate to see bullying.

Not aiming at anyone but just pointing out what I was doing.

It's all been sorted now and the mods have dealt with it so lets move on

Howard

This forum is great but I hate to see bullying.

Not aiming at anyone but just pointing out what I was doing.

It's all been sorted now and the mods have dealt with it so lets move on

Howard

Quite right, if everyone was just to accept that northerners are a couple of rungs below us southerners on the intellegence ladder and also with regards to skills everyone would get on just a tad better.

Don't you start Andrew!!

Where are you from anyway?

Bucks:yes:, i see you are from Hampshire where we spend a good deal of time, we love the new forest and the Christchurch area, which i think is actually in Dorset.

So slough then or is it milton keynes :wideeyed:

I live in a small hamlet near Bledlow Ridge, whats makes you think it may be Slough or Milton Keynes?

Aylesbury then.....

I used to run the crisis team for bucks, know the area well

Alright Ratchet, i am actually closer to High Wycombe than Aylesbury but i know Aylesbury very well, i am originally from Princes Risborough and lived near Wendover up until we sold last year.

Alright Ratchet, i am actually closer to High Wycombe than Aylesbury but i know Aylesbury very well, i am originally from Princes Risborough and lived near Wendover up until we sold last year.

My base was in Wycombe on london rd, opposite the park......all back in 2004/5. Great little place is Bucks........

Just to add my 2 pennys worth on the original post. Im a southerner (hampshire hog by birth) brought up all over the country and settled in Lincs for 20yrs up until we moved over here............

Im not sure its the people and culture of the south that make aussies stand back......I sometimes think its some of the accents of the south that often come across as arrogant/garish/loud.... I even cringe at work sometimes when i hear a broad west london accent booming out in a conversation so loud the whole ward hears it. i see aussies physically pull away.............give them a irish, scottish, northern accent any day. they havent got a clue what we're saying, but they stay engaged in conversation with us.:cute:

I would however be interested to see if there are really more 'imports' from the north than the south........

Guest guest37336

Used to have a mate in Cairns who originally came from London. He mistakingly thought that in order to fit in better he would adopt an Aussie accent, or at least try. He had only been there a matter of weeks and he honestly thought that this would help.:goofy:

Used to have me in stitches when he used to try it. Within a few short seconds/minutes you would see the Aussies look at him rather puzzled and more often than not he would be rumbled and fits of laughter would follow from all those involved.:biglaugh:

In truth he did fit in fairly well as he was known as the 'wannabe Aussie' and even though he was ribbed beyond belief the Aussies in general thought it an endearing side to his character.

Spoke to him not many weeks ago, and he now has a relatively mild (real) Aussie accent and has got on really well. But at the time I and the rest of us would be in stitches as he tried with all his might to 'fit' in.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Used to have a mate in Cairns who originally came from London. He mistakingly thought that in order to fit in better he would adopt an Aussie accent, or at least try. He had only been there a matter of weeks and he honestly thought that this would help.:goofy:

Used to have me in stitches when he used to try it. Within a few short seconds/minutes you would see the Aussies look at him rather puzzled and more often than not he would be rumbled and fits of laughter would follow from all those involved.:biglaugh:

In truth he did fit in fairly well as he was known as the 'wannabe Aussie' and even though he was ribbed beyond belief the Aussies in general thought it an endearing side to his character.

Spoke to him not many weeks ago, and he now has a relatively mild (real) Aussie accent and has got on really well. But at the time I and the rest of us would be in stitches as he tried with all his might to 'fit' in.

Cheers Tony:wink:

That reminds me of a time i was in Thailand and my made said to us when we was sat in a restaurant waiting to be served, "you must speak like they do or they wont understand you" so when the waitress came over and said (in English) if he would like anything else, he replied "yes, wed n wutter pwease"

:laugh:

Quite right, if everyone was just to accept that northerners are a couple of rungs below us southerners on the intellegence ladder and also with regards to skills everyone would get on just a tad better.

I'd have that andy,if intelligence was spelt proper like:biggrin::biglaugh:

Archived