Why More Northern Folk than Southern in Oz.

Guest flipflop

Guest flipflop

Isn't it because the northern folk have more brains and realise it's time to get out???:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

what the hell are you doing up at 4 in the morning :dull:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the reason there are more northeners in Oz, is because Australia was looking for workers, or pit ponies has someone suggested, we were offered tickets to the land of flies and pies for the cost of a packet of fags these days, 10 quid, so we jumped at the chance.

My clogs have come in very handy at times, as they are very good at breaking open the big crabs, the steel workers and miners from the north of England have been very instrumental in putting Australia on the map over the last 50 years or more, and tend not to whinge as much about anything, as the southerners do.

This is only my opinion from working with various British immigrants in Oz over the last 40 years. :biglaugh:

Guest brooksey

Probably more northerners emigrate to Oz because there are no English left in the south to emigrate. They left for Spain and france years ago.

Isn't it because the northern folk have more brains and realise it's time to get out???:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

True, Only a thicko would want to stay there.

I think I have sussed out why there are so many more Northern folk in Oz than Southern folk…..It is all to do with your weather, when the Weather comes on it says most of the time….it will be a “North South divide” when refereeing to the weather for the day or the week…Northern territory of England does not get the same weather as the Southern territory of England.

So because the Northern parts of England are influenced from the Scandinavian Countries whereas the Southern territory is influenced from the air streams of France and Northern Spain it doe s not take a genius to work out that the Soutern England is warmer and much sunnier than the Northern territory…..and that my friends is the reason there are more North people in Australia than South people.

That is my theory and I am sticking to it.:cool:

You KNOW theres more northerners in oz then?:wink:

I think I have sussed out why there are so many more Northern folk in Oz than Southern folk…..It is all to do with your weather, when the Weather comes on it says most of the time….it will be a “North South divide” when refereeing to the weather for the day or the week…Northern territory of England does not get the same weather as the Southern territory of England.

So because the Northern parts of England are influenced from the Scandinavian Countries whereas the Southern territory is influenced from the air streams of France and Northern Spain it doe s not take a genius to work out that the Soutern England is warmer and much sunnier than the Northern territory…..and that my friends is the reason there are more North people in Australia than South people.

That is my theory and I am sticking to it.:cool:

And because we all live in grids,manholes and gullies up here,dont forget that,who wouldnt move from that existence:wink:

And we dont talk properly either,you say tomato.......i say temarrter, you say alleyway........i say jigger/enog,you say give.......i say giz,you say chicken........i say chickkkkkken,you say book( buck) ........i say boooookkk, yes its grim up here in our grids:biggrin:

You must have heard the expression "It's grim up North" ? well I have spent all but 2 1/2 years here in Newcastle and although the people are second to none......... It's bloody grim! and we are out of here next Tuesday to spend what's left of our lives ( maybe 10 more years) in a place when at least you can feel your toes in the winter!

You must have heard the expression "It's grim up North" ? well I have spent all but 2 1/2 years here in Newcastle and although the people are second to none......... It's bloody grim! and we are out of here next Tuesday to spend what's left of our lives ( maybe 10 more years) in a place when at least you can feel your toes in the winter!

Luton,reading,south london, grim places everywhere mate

Luton,reading,south london, grim places everywhere mate

Yeah but so many northerners in Aus.. also here too! don't mind them much though, the funny accents make me larfff:biglaugh:

Guest guest17301

It was grim where I came from (up North)...I shudder to think of returning...I would love to see my mates though, that would be good. It's the people not the place. I daresay I love Perth all the more for coming from a deprived area in the UK. I can admit it...doesn't make it a bad thing though and doesn't detract from Perth's beauty. Most of the born and bred Perthites I know would never leave and are so proud of where they live. What a shame I can't feel the same about my hometown.

The North of England does have some lovely spots though, what about Harrogate?

Yeah but so many northerners in Aus.. also here too! don't mind them much though, the funny accents make me larfff

Yeah,but is there? theres plenty of southerners on here isnt there? yeah im like that with the cockney accent sparrer:wink:,anyway...........IS there more northeners in oz? thats what im wondering,you could allways have another poll aar?:radar:

It was grim where I came from (up North)...I shudder to think of returning...I would love to see my mates though, that would be good. It's the people not the place. I daresay I love Perth all the more for coming from a deprived area in the UK. I can admit it...doesn't make it a bad thing though and doesn't detract from Perth's beauty. Most of the born and bred Perthites I know would never leave and are so proud of where they live. What a shame I can't feel the same about my hometown.

The North of England does have some lovely spots though, what about Harrogate?

Peak district,yorkshire dales,lake district?theres grim places everywhere fi,have yer worked in london? i have,plenty of beirut districts down there mate

Guest guest17301
Peak district,yorkshire dales,lake district?theres grim places everywhere fi,have yer worked in london? i have,plenty of beirut districts down there mate

Don't get me wrong Pabs...can think of lots of lovely places both North and South...my post was just a reflection on my own hometown and my feelings on it that's all.

I ran a pub in Feltham.

Now that was bleak.BNP town and they let you know when they are not happy believe you me.That was one place I was happy to leave.The stories I could tell you,they would make you cringe !!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong Pabs...can think of lots of lovely places both North and South...my post was just a reflection on my own hometown and my feelings on it that's all.

No i know that fi,it doesnt bother me people making sweeping statements about "grim up north" etc,im just saying its the same as anywhere else in england,ive worked in the midlands,london,bristol etc and theres rough places everywhere,the difference is that a lot of londoners havnt had to travel for work and dont know their arse from their elbow when making these statements,the world DOES start and end in london,didnt yer know?:biggrin::cool:

Do u love Liverpool Pabs?

Yes fi,but like everywhere its got its no go areas,i associate with my city more than my country tbh,if im asked where im from abroad i say lpool,not england,then again i wouldnt have minded being born in ambleside in the lakes,or bavaria,or.......:biglaugh:.nah fi,lpools got its faults,but it gave me a good schooling "in life",and it makes us all cynics,distrustfull,dont know why,but it does!

Guest flipflop

What part are you going to , Devon, Cornwall.:wink:

Guest guest17301

Is it really that much warmer down south? I must have acclimatised quickly because 15 feels bloody freezin out here...Spring temps in UK!

Archived