28 year old scouser debating whether to move to brissy.

Guest Oakey81

Guest Oakey81

Hello everyone, just joined this forum...

I have been in Oz 2 an a half years, the first 2 years of which where on a working holiday visa, I am currently on a 457 visa. I work as a Geologist in the Queensland coal industry. During my time in Oz I have mainly done the back packer thing an travelled around alot but I am a bit over it now lookin on gettin a bit more settled.

I have friends an family in Adelaide which is where I have been spending alot of my time, but my current fly in fly out arrangement from adelaide with work is ending soon, so in order to avoid having to pay for my own flights I am considering settling in Brissy.

I have been to Brissy a couple of times an it seems to be a pretty decent city, and I could see myself prefering to live there than adelaide anyway. Its just pretty daunting coz i will have to start from scratch on my own, plus I work away alot so I find it hard to meet people other than backpackers who move around alot.

It would be good to get talking to some people around my age who are settled in Brisbane to get some advice from and maybe meet up if I settle there to get me started. After all lifes no fun if ya on ya own! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
Guest HappyTravels

Hi there,

Not sure if you are still thinkig of moving, but I lived in Brisbane a few years ago. I also went on my own and really didnt like it. The city looks stunning, and I found rent very cheap for a room in an apartment overlooking the river. But I found the city very, very quiet. I found there werent as many opportunities to meet people as say Sydney or Melbourne. I also didnt have a car - I think that would have made a difference, but even so.

• 1 year later...
Guest Oakey81

well... ive finally moved to brisbane!

Just renting an appartement in the CBD...

Havent been on this for a while but thought I'd get back on here to try an meet a few people around brissy.

Hope to hear from people in a similar situation.

Michael :)

Archived