Help...have telephone interview for a mental health nursing position on Tuesday

Guest Pam D

Hi all

I have a telephone interview for a clinical nurse post within Adult Community Mental Health..Gold Coast on Tuesday evening.

I have to admit I am a bit nervous because I do tend to talk even more rubbish than normal when I am on the phone:wacko:

I have been looking on the forum for ideas but haven't seen anything specific for mental health.

Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of questions to expect?

Thanks

Pam xx

Guest britney1195

no ideas on the questions - but try not to mimic the accent - i always do that if i am on the phone to an australian :) good luck xxx

Firstly relax Pam.... I'm hoping you havent had the interview yet in which case this advise will help...

Phone interviews can be easier than face to face as you can prepare as much as you want to - if you need some back up material for technical questions its all at hand plus you are in familiar environment. The key thing is be somewhere quiet or try to limit background noise as this will help you concentrate on the questions and use a landline if possible. If you find you are sounding a little monotone or could be more enthusiastic try standing up or smiling (its amazing but people can hear the difference in your voice)

The questions should be the same as any interview, think about what you could normally expect to be asked as a nurse? I have no idea what specific question they could ask but think about scenario's you encounter on a day to day basis and have a example to talk about of a particularly tough situation you handled really well you could try relating it back to the role you are going for.

A lot of recruitment agencies have interview tips or questions on their websites you could do a google

search. Come to think about it most public sector jobs have a key selection criteria at the end of the spec which questions are asked on.

Good luck

• 2 years later...
Guest melanie79

hi pam, i know it was a couple of years ago now but how did you get on?! i will be doing a phone interview for mental health nursing soon, any tips you can give me, can you remember what questions they asked? many thanks melanie

Hi Pam - we usually give scenarios which what would you do if ... blah blah. My advice is think about the process you'd do A B C D etc., think don't assume they'll know that you do A and B and just tell them about C and D. Depending on the kind of job you're going for ward based or community, there may be something that's asking you about time management, how you would organise yourself and others, supervision of students and other staff, conflict resolution ... remember that there's always someone else to ask and talk about policy and procedure being there to protect staff and patients. Acknowledge that you know that MH is different in each state but that the primary principle is of least reastrictive option - if necessary give an example of how you work within the act in the UK. Depending on the level you're going for there may be something about teaching, Qualitiy initiatives and clinical governance..... or it may just be very general

Archived