Certified documents (subclass 309 visa) useful info

Guest Nojabold

Guest Nojabold

Hi Guys,

First of all I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone on the forum (too many people to name names) whose posts have been immensely helpful in completing my 309 spouse visa application! There seems to be a lot of confusion about certifying documents so thought I'd share this info with you in the hope that it will help someone if future:

1) From reading various posts it seems that there are different rules when it comes to certifying documents depending on which visa you are applying for (for example some posts report that docs can be scanned in colour instead of being certified, whilst this is not possible with all applications. Be aware that works for some might not work for you, depending on the visa you are applying for.

2) For subclass 309 spouse visa, originals are rquired of character references only. Certified copies should be provided of key documents (birth certificates, passports etc) and in all other cases simple photocopies of supporting documents can be provided (i.e. utility bills, rental agreements etc)

3) Certified documents can be witnessed by: A Notary public, commisioner for oaths, police officer, bank manager or solicitor (Info from Australia House). In my area (Cambridgeshire) Solicitors fees tend to be around £5-7 per sheet, whilst one Notary public quoted £50!!! (I only have 4 documents, but apparently it was a flat fee). A quick call to the local police station and they told me that if I brought in the documents, an officer would happily phoitocopy and certify them for me there and then at a total cost of £7. If you have a lot of documents to certify, then their usual price is £7 for 3 sheets which is still cheaper than any solicitor I spoke to, and they will do it whilst you wait so no need to wait for the solicitor to 'get round to it'.

Ok so that's my two cents. I hope that the information is of use to people and apoligise if I have repeated things already mentioned. The forums have been of great help to me at no charge and so thought it was about time I made some type of contribution to help others in future.

Best wishes everyone, I'm off to the cop shop!

Hi Guys,

First of all I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone on the forum (too many people to name names) whose posts have been immensely helpful in completing my 309 spouse visa application! There seems to be a lot of confusion about certifying documents so thought I'd share this info with you in the hope that it will help someone if future:

1) From reading various posts it seems that there are different rules when it comes to certifying documents depending on which visa you are applying for (for example some posts report that docs can be scanned in colour instead of being certified, whilst this is not possible with all applications. Be aware that works for some might not work for you, depending on the visa you are applying for.

2) For subclass 309 spouse visa, originals are rquired of character references only. Certified copies should be provided of key documents (birth certificates, passports etc) and in all other cases simple photocopies of supporting documents can be provided (i.e. utility bills, rental agreements etc)

3) Certified documents can be witnessed by: A Notary public, commisioner for oaths, police officer, bank manager or solicitor (Info from Australia House). In my area (Cambridgeshire) Solicitors fees tend to be around £5-7 per sheet, whilst one Notary public quoted £50!!! (I only have 4 documents, but apparently it was a flat fee). A quick call to the local police station and they told me that if I brought in the documents, an officer would happily phoitocopy and certify them for me there and then at a total cost of £7. If you have a lot of documents to certify, then their usual price is £7 for 3 sheets which is still cheaper than any solicitor I spoke to, and they will do it whilst you wait so no need to wait for the solicitor to 'get round to it'.

Ok so that's my two cents. I hope that the information is of use to people and apoligise if I have repeated things already mentioned. The forums have been of great help to me at no charge and so thought it was about time I made some type of contribution to help others in future.

Best wishes everyone, I'm off to the cop shop!

just a slight correction for others who still have to have certs witnessed the cost is free they might not tell you that.

Hi there

just read your post and this information will certianly be very useful, I too live in cambridgeshire and have submitted my defacto application on the 22nd September, I was informed I needed to apply for a German police certificate for the few years I lived over there and found the only person that was readily available to sign this was a Notary public and i was charged 70 for this one signature wish i had known who you had recieved a quote from for 50...

Ahh well its all done now and waiting on the australian police certificate to come back.. typical the day I lodged my application they brought out a new policy with my spouse sponsoring a child to OZ and now has to have an australian police check done.. still once this is in which should be by the end of the week hopefully i will get a quick decision like many others on here as we have our flights booked.

Have you lodged yoru application yet? where and when are you planning on going

Jo x

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone verify that a Police Officer can cerify these for definate for a 309 visa? It would be a weight off my mind if it were true as I have to get lots done for myself, 2 kids and my wifes Oz Passport and being an ex officer I know a few bobbies that will sort this for me! :policeman:

Also Could a minister of Religion do it?

Can someone verify that a Police Officer can cerify these for definate for a 309 visa? It would be a weight off my mind if it were true as I have to get lots done for myself, 2 kids and my wifes Oz Passport and being an ex officer I know a few bobbies that will sort this for me! :policeman:

MaCCCa, I'm not sure how you stand re. getting them certified in the UK but I think that you could probably check just who would be eligible to certify under UK law via a JP, notary public or solicitor maybe? I remember reading that there is a specific list of signatories for statutory declarations made under UK law but it may be different for certifying documents and may be different for stat decs for an Australian visa.

We had all of ours done in Australia and used a combination of a police officers and JPs to certify all of our documents and witness our stat decs and statements.

Hey all - be careful on the police officer signing....this is what I had when I had a friend sign my birth certs....he did sign everything else thou!

Jen

Other

X Provide certified photocopies of:

· full length birth certificates which detail the names of both parents

for: you and your sponsor certified by an authorised person as instructed above Please note a police officer is not an authorised person

Guest Guest31881

as an ex police officer do you know any JP's, they would be able to do it all for you, I used a friend who is a JP.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get it!

So a police officer is NOT able to certify documents??? Where can i get hold of a list of who can? Its so confusing -a police officer was able to sign all my other stuff on the employer nomination side of things...why not the visa app (457es) form?

They certainly can if certifying in Australia.

If I remember correctly, if you want your statutory declaration to be recognised under British Law you will need to ask a Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, a Solicitor or Justice of the Peace to do this for you. However, I wouldn't have thought that British law would apply neatly in this case and I would have thought anyone on the list given here would suffice: Statutory declaration signatory list

If the embassy say it's fine, then it's fine. If you're not sure and want to err on the side of caution then you could always pick from the short British list.

Thanks happy lass. I thought i had it all sorted..knowing a police officer! Oh well...i may try to contact the embassy and check. If i'v got to ask a solicitor etc then it has to be done...just didnt want to pay silly amounts if i didnt have to.

Thanks happy lass. I thought i had it all sorted..knowing a police officer! Oh well...i may try to contact the embassy and check. If i'v got to ask a solicitor etc then it has to be done...just didnt want to pay silly amounts if i didnt have to.

It free = no money do not pay a thing I know there is not a lot of things free in this world but this one is FREE

I just phoned my local soliciter and they said it would be £5 for the passports and £5 for all of the other documents like job offer letter etc (total price as they are not official documents).

I was quite happy with this-was expecting it to be loads more!!

Guest siamsusie
I just phoned my local soliciter and they said it would be £5 for the passports and £5 for all of the other documents like job offer letter etc (total price as they are not official documents).

A very good and fair price Chicken, good news, now buy a bottle with the rest:hug:

ooohh the way i'm feeling i might buy 2!!

Its such hard work...then you think you've got it sorted and something else adds to the confusion!! Think I'm nearly there though and it will be a case of sending off the visa app and waiting waiting waiting!! Hope its not too long though my job starts in jan!!!

Guest siamsusie
ooohh the way i'm feeling i might buy 2!!

Its such hard work...then you think you've got it sorted and something else adds to the confusion!! Think I'm nearly there though and it will be a case of sending off the visa app and waiting waiting waiting!! Hope its not too long though my job starts in jan!!!

You might be pleasantly surprised, lets hope so Chicken take care and best wishes:hug: ss x

its FREE why pay, not a single penny.

listen to what? you arent telling them anything! It may be free if you know where to go- but solicitors definately charge! well the one i spoke to does anyway

Thats where you are wrong they can ask for a donation for a charitable cause but they are not allowed to profit from it or you could go back through other threads on this topic & read replyys fron others who have done it as i have without charge by a solicitor.

so why oh why did you not say that in the first place? Why is it a fight to get info? I did a search on previous threads and this is the thread that seemed closest to being able to answer my question. If we all relied on previous threads there would be no new ones would there?

But surely a donation means it is not free?

I'd rather give to charity though...

Archived