Jump to content
Guest threespire

Accurate timeline for parent visas please??!

Recommended Posts

Guest threespire

Hi all,

 

Just wondered if anyone could help with some further info on parent visa timelines? My mum and dad are looking into emigrating - my sister is already a PR and soon to be citizen of Oz and we got our PR last week - so they meet all the BOF and sponsor criteria. They were going to do the CPV route, but as it'll be a while before we finally move (probably end 2010 - 2011) and they want to wait a while for house priices to pick up and for Mum to get her pension we were just wondering does anyone have any accurate timelines for doing just the parent visa (non - contributory) ?? Everything we read says anywhere between 7 and 10 years, but just wondered if anyone knows for definite how long the current wait is - or how I can find out??

 

We just thought they could maybe start down this route now, see how long it takes before we move (they don't want to move before we go just in case we change our minds !!!) and then see where they are in the queue??

 

Does anyone know if you can swap from non contributory to contributory at a later date if its too long and they do decide to move sooner?

 

I think they'll be best just doing the CPV route once we've made definite plans to go, but just wanted to enquire as to how long the nonCPV is actually taking?!!!

 

Thanks in advance for any help,

 

Kirst xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kirst

 

does anyone have any accurate timelines for doing just the parent visa (non - contributory) ??

 

Please see this thread:

 

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/43418-parent-class-103-a.html

 

I reckon 8-9 years based on Badger Brock's experience a year ago. The figures have not altered significantly since then.

 

Does anyone know if you can swap from non contributory to contributory at a later date if its too long and they do decide to move sooner?

 

Yes - this has been a built-in feature since the introduction of the CPV scheme on 1st July 2003. Once the switch is made, the CPV application is treated as having been made on the same date that the original Parent 103 application was made.

 

The result is that the Parent does not have to pay a higher fee for a CPV requested at a later date, and the CPV application usually gets immediate processing because most people wait for 2-3 years before switching to the CPV stream.

 

There is no need to do any additional form filling in order to switch to a CPV: a simple e-mail to parents@immi.gov.au asking them to make the switch does the trick.

 

Your family's proposals sound like an eminently sensible game plan to me.

 

I think increasing numbers of canny parents will copy your own parents because you can trade upwards to the CPV stream but you cannot trade downwards from a CPV application to a non-contributory application. Therefore where Parents need to wait for house prices and the exchange rate to improve, dolng exactly what your own Parents propose is the smart way to set about the overall strategy.

 

Cheers

 

Gill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest threespire

Hi Gill,

 

Once again - thankyou ! Much appreciated advice as always!

 

Can I just clarify (for my own sanity) if they apply for the 103 now and decide in 2 years to switch to contributory, they will get an almost immediate grant as their application will have been in the pipeline for 2 years?

 

...and the not paying a higher fee ?? Sorry I'm not sure I understand that part?? - does this just mean if the CPV 2nd fee increases over the next 2 years, they would pay the same fee as at today's application date ( $34330 AUD) if they switch from 103 to CPV? Is it not then normally fixed at point of lodgement for a standard CPV but charged at whatever the rate is on the day of DIAC asking for the 2nd installment - index linked? I realised all the fees (VAC's) were indexed but thought they were fixed at point of lodgement?? or did yu mean their 2nd installment would only be the same as for a 103 ($1480 AUD)? I'm assuming not !!!!! Sorry if all that sounds dim or confusing - just wanted to fully clarify what you meant by them not having to pay the higher fee?!

 

Thankyou Gill,

 

Kirst xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi Kirsty & Gill,

 

My parents are also looking at a CPV but will have to wait as we've only been in Oz 2months. Could they apply for the parent visa now, wait until we've been here 18mths then swap to the CPV by which time we'll meet the "settlement" criteria ? We can argue that we're settled as have sold UK house, bought Oz house, transferred assets, have permanent jobs, joined various clubs & organisations etc.

 

Or can't they apply for either a non-con visa/CPV until we're "settled" ?

 

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Kirsty & Gill' date='

 

My parents are also looking at a CPV but will have to wait as we've only been in Oz 2months. Could they apply for the parent visa now, wait until we've been here 18mths then swap to the CPV by which time we'll meet the "settlement" criteria ? We can argue that we're settled as have sold UK house, bought Oz house, transferred assets, have permanent jobs, joined various clubs & organisations etc.

 

Or can't they apply for either a non-con visa/CPV until we're "settled" ?

 

Lisa[/quote']

 

Hi Lisa

 

I'm so sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

 

The rule is the same with all Parent visas. The Sponsor must be a *settled* Citizen or Permament Resident on the date when the visa application is submitted to DIAC.

 

Cheers

 

Gill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest ringo
Hi all,

 

Just wondered if anyone could help with some further info on parent visa timelines? My mum and dad are looking into emigrating - my sister is already a PR and soon to be citizen of Oz and we got our PR last week - so they meet all the BOF and sponsor criteria. They were going to do the CPV route, but as it'll be a while before we finally move (probably end 2010 - 2011) and they want to wait a while for house priices to pick up and for Mum to get her pension we were just wondering does anyone have any accurate timelines for doing just the parent visa (non - contributory) ?? Everything we read says anywhere between 7 and 10 years, but just wondered if anyone knows for definite how long the current wait is - or how I can find out??

 

We just thought they could maybe start down this route now, see how long it takes before we move (they don't want to move before we go just in case we change our minds !!!) and then see where they are in the queue??

 

Does anyone know if you can swap from non contributory to contributory at a later date if its too long and they do decide to move sooner?

 

I think they'll be best just doing the CPV route once we've made definite plans to go, but just wanted to enquire as to how long the nonCPV is actually taking?!!!

 

Thanks in advance for any help,

 

Kirst xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

 

hi kirsty,,

 

we lodged our parent 103 visa in june 2008, we received case worker aug 2009.

 

there is only 14,750 applicants in front of us..

 

if there is an average 2,000 visas allocated each year, plus allowing for some dropping out, we should be allocated ours in about 6+ years..

 

hope it helps.

 

believe the cpv is between 18-24 months..

 

would rather keep the $64.000+ myself and enjoy visits to oz whilst visa being in the pipe line ...

 

 

aw ra best

 

ringo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest threespire

Thanks Ringo ! Will pass info on to mum and dad !! Good luck with your application and your Oz life!

 

Lisa - Gill answered your query but just wanted to say good luck with everything !!

 

Gill - if you get 5 minutes (which I know you don't !!!) would you mind having a look at my question posted earlier up the thread about the higer fee part - not sure I understood what you meant?!

 

Thankyou,

 

Kirst xxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kirst

 

I'm soooo sorry for not having noticed your additional questions. Thanks very much for reminding me.

 

Can I just clarify (for my own sanity) if they apply for the 103 now and decide in 2 years to switch to contributory, they will get an almost immediate grant as their application will have been in the pipeline for 2 years?

 

 

Correct.

 

...and the not paying a higher fee ?? Sorry I'm not sure I understand that part?? - does this just mean if the CPV 2nd fee increases over the next 2 years, they would pay the same fee as at today's application date ( $34330 AUD)

 

This is what the Parent Visa Centre told me when I questioned them about it. I was surprised by their generosity but the person I asked seemed certain that he was right - one of the COs, I imagine. He said that the whole thing is treated as if they had received a CPV application on Day One and that therefore the 2nd Instalment of CPV fees payable on Day One would also apply.

 

If you want to double check this (which I would) send an e-mail to parents@immi.gov.au and ask them yourself/again to see whether you get a different answer from the one they gave me - I still find this generosity surprising.

 

I'd be interested to hear what they tell you, so I do hope you will ask them as well because it would be nice to have an answer to this question that both you and I are willing to trust.

 

Cheers

 

Gill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gollywobbler

I am just trying to get straight in my head the process for changing from 103 to the CPV as we are considering a few options. I am just ploughing through Booklet 3 and on page 12 it says: For a subsequent parent visa to be valid you must withdraw any existing parent visa application that has not yet been decided……by completing the relevant questions at Part B of Form 47PA. Does this mean that it is necessary to submit a new application and sponsorship form and also pay another 1st VAC? Or is this strictly necessary?

 

Thanks

 

Hi Kirst

 

 

Please see this thread:

 

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/43418-parent-class-103-a.html

 

I reckon 8-9 years based on Badger Brock's experience a year ago. The figures have not altered significantly since then.

 

 

Yes - this has been a built-in feature since the introduction of the CPV scheme on 1st July 2003. Once the switch is made, the CPV application is treated as having been made on the same date that the original Parent 103 application was made.

 

The result is that the Parent does not have to pay a higher fee for a CPV requested at a later date, and the CPV application usually gets immediate processing because most people wait for 2-3 years before switching to the CPV stream.

 

There is no need to do any additional form filling in order to switch to a CPV: a simple e-mail to parents@immi.gov.au asking them to make the switch does the trick.

 

Your family's proposals sound like an eminently sensible game plan to me.

 

I think increasing numbers of canny parents will copy your own parents because you can trade upwards to the CPV stream but you cannot trade downwards from a CPV application to a non-contributory application. Therefore where Parents need to wait for house prices and the exchange rate to improve, dolng exactly what your own Parents propose is the smart way to set about the overall strategy.

 

Cheers

 

Gill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest ringo

hi gill,

 

still reading all your comments with great interest.

 

posted reply to you on the other post re the 103 visa.

 

have a queue date now, so that i can check the calculator.. (not much change in it though since i checked it yesterday....lol).

 

yours aye

 

ringo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gollywobbler

 

I am just trying to get straight in my head the process for changing from 103 to the CPV as we are considering a few options. I am just ploughing through Booklet 3 and on page 12 it says: For a subsequent parent visa to be valid you must withdraw any existing parent visa application that has not yet been decided……by completing the relevant questions at Part B of Form 47PA. Does this mean that it is necessary to submit a new application and sponsorship form and also pay another 1st VAC? Or is this strictly necessary?

 

Thanks

 

Hi LIndsay

 

I'm so very sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

 

If an applicant converts from a Parent 103 to a CPV 143 application, all that is needed is to notify the Parents Visa Centre, in writing, that this is what you want them to do. It needs to be a proper letter, signed by both Parents.

 

There is no form filling and no additional fee to pay at the time of making he switch. The converted CPV application is treated as having been received on the date when the Parent 103 application was lodged, so the Parent may well then be fast tracked through the final processing.

 

In this situation the 2nd Instalment is whatever the amount of that is on the date when the original Parent 103 application was lodged.

 

If Parents are not absolutely sure whether or not they can afford CPVs, or they are some way off retiring as yet, starting off with a Parent 103 application can work very well.

 

Cheers

 

Gill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I am also switching visa's from 103 to 143. I emailed and i was told i would have to pay the first vac again, also i would have to fill in 47pa again and get another sponcership form. They did say I would not have to send in anymore documents eg birth marriage certificates. sorry I dont think this is the reply you wanted, it certainly wasnt the one i wanted. good luck Phyllis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×