register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest shambo

Mobile Phones and Sat Navs

Guest shambo

I have a Nokia mobile pay as you go phone, does anyone know if I can take it to Australia and just change the sim card?

Also, we have a Garmin Sat Nav that has UK and European maps on, does anyone know where we can get new maps for Western Australia? or should we just sell it and buy a new one out there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

You will need to unlock your mobile phone - you can usually find a "little man in the market" who will do it for you - dont wait until you get here, it's nigh impossible to find somewhere here to do it. Then when you get here you will need to download the mms and web settings from your new provider if you want to surf or send pictures. You will be stuck with the flashware of your UK provider but that wont really be a problem.

You should be able to buy Aus maps for your GPS - check Garmin nuMaps Lifetime - quarterly map updates for your sat-nav for the life of your Garmin

You will need to unlock your mobile phone - you can usually find a "little man in the market" who will do it for you - dont wait until you get here, it's nigh impossible to find somewhere here to do it. Then when you get here you will need to download the mms and web settings from your new provider if you want to surf or send pictures. You will be stuck with the flashware of your UK provider but that wont really be a problem.

You should be able to buy Aus maps for your GPS - check Garmin nuMaps Lifetime - quarterly map updates for your sat-nav for the life of your Garmin

The link supplied above is to update pre-installed maps already on the GPS unit it's not for new maps, a quick search of Garmin buy maps reveals that an Australian map will cost £127 (ouch!) I would personaly try to find a cheaper map on ebay though the maps tend to be older but can be up to half the price of the original or buy a new GPS unit when you get here as it will have the newest maps built in, they start at around $150. Here are just a small selection to look at Officeworks/GPS... I am in no way saying that Officeworks are cheapest, dependant on where you first land try Joyce Mayne / WOW or even Aldi as they sometimes sell cheap GPS units as special deals...

Shop Around The World Buy from retailers who ship to Australia...

You could try and unlock it yourself especially if its an older Nokia go to the moneysupermarket.com and follow his links for unlocking mobiles. I unlocked two that way but two had to go to the local market for unlocking 1 for £10 and 1 for £20- kids couldn't 'live' without their multi wotsit ones. All working fine here in Melbourne!

I have a Nokia mobile pay as you go phone, does anyone know if I can take it to Australia and just change the sim card?

Also, we have a Garmin Sat Nav that has UK and European maps on, does anyone know where we can get new maps for Western Australia? or should we just sell it and buy a new one out there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Your Sat Nav is OK, we brought our TomTom, bought a new Aussie map on ebay from a re-seller and its OK. You can buy new cards online or in Oz.

Mobile phones tend to be locked and they want AU$150 - 250 to send them away.

Costs of new phones depends on your choices.

A decent pay as you go can be had for AU$150 - 250 !

L.L.

Your Sat Nav is OK, we brought our TomTom, bought a new Aussie map on ebay from a re-seller and its OK. You can buy new cards online or in Oz.

Mobile phones tend to be locked and they want AU$150 - 250 to send them away.

Costs of new phones depends on your choices.

A decent pay as you go can be had for AU$150 - 250 !

L.L.

LOL I dont think I have ever paid more than L10 to get a phone unlocked in UK - usually a man with a market stall.

LOL I dont think I have ever paid more than L10 to get a phone unlocked in UK - usually a man with a market stall.

I suppose the Aussie phone shops want to sell you a phone... so make a charge equal to the cost of a new phone...

I dropped my mobile and it acted up.... repair quote was same price as buying a new phone - same model!

Welcome to Oz the only country that can out rip off England

BT Broadband unlimited £22 per month

Bigpond Wifi 10gig per month AU$129 = £65

Garmin are definately the most reliable sat navs so if you can find the maps for it then this would be the best option although 127gbp for the maps seems expensive, we bought a garmin at JB Hifi for one of our clients and we got it knocked down to $210 and it had a free upgrade to 2010 maps.

As long as your phone is unlocked you can put any sim in it once you arrive, the other posters have given you some good options for cheap unlocking services.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest shambo

Thanks everyone, that is a great help.

Sue

i had o2 pre pay nokia , brought it here 6 months ago and popped in a "yes optus" pre paid sim ( without having to have it unlocked) , its called recharge here also had samsung phone unlocked from telstra this end cost $30 to do , stall in shopping mall ... midland to be exact..

to much partying to much booze gives you spots and makes you snooze!

sharon.

If you're still in the UK and you're in need of a new phone, what you could do is get one from Carphone Warehouse.

Go in there, find a pre-pay phone you like, and then look to see what networks it's available on and work out which it's cheapest to buy the phone on. Then just use your current SIM in the new phone and get rid of the new one they give you with the phone... basically all the phones in Carphone Warehouse are completely unlocked. They just buy the handsets and the SIMs separately from the networks they sell on behalf of.

I did that... I got a Nokia 6300 when I got back from Australia. It was cheaper on Virgin. So I bought it with a Virgin SIM, threw away the Virgin SIM pack and stuck my O2 SIM in.

What happened to me whilst I was in Australia was we wanted to make a lot of phonecalls, but when I tried to buy a SIM for Optus, or anyone else for that matter, they wanted a PASSPORT or some form of Australian ID?! So we left it. Fortunately my O2 SIM picked up Telstra/Optus... however it was very expensive to use.

So if you're just going on a trip and want to use a phone, I strongly advise (to both ends of the earth!!) that you take some ID and get a SIM because it cost me about £45 in credit to last for calls and whatever for 2 weeks! That's more than I've ever spent...ever on my phone!!

"Is that Luke... as in Luke Skywalker?" | Brisbane, Australia since August 2010 :cool:

I'd agree with you on Oz being more of a rip off than the UK - for some things, particularly books and booze and internet but the food is definitely much better here hahaha

I'd agree with you on Oz being more of a rip off than the UK - for some things, particularly books and booze and internet but the food is definitely much better here hahaha

I completely understand what you mean about the books!!! $50 is excessive... for a new band biography of a certain AC/DC?

Uhuh.

Think the music is extortionate as well. New releases about $30 unless you go to Target or JB HI-FI?!

Internet is silly price.

But the food... food glorious food! I've never had a bad meal/shopping trip in Australia, except Red Rooster. We all know how I, and others feel about Red Rooster - a total rip off for food that just tastes well. Bad. Hahaha

"Is that Luke... as in Luke Skywalker?" | Brisbane, Australia since August 2010 :cool: