Having serious 2nd thoughts, what should we do?

kellyjamie

Hi everyone,

So, were having seriously big 2nd thoughts about the whole thing. We are a priority No.5 as liek the rest of you in that position totally gutted. But we are only just applying for state sponsorship now so this gives you an idea of where we are right now.

after the 23rd sep announcement we felt completely despondent with the whole thing as it just feels every avenue another door shuts on us. We have spents thousands of pounds retraining so as we could qualify for oz and now dont know whether to bother?

We know we dont want to wait 3 years we were hoping things may pick up and we could be away within 2? We foolishly looked at a beautiful new build home at the weekend down by the sea and found we could easily afford it which we were surprised at. We both work for local government in secure jobs with private pensions have a decent group of friends and go on holiday on every year. I think we have lost sight of why we wanted to go to oz in the first place

Hubbies job is only a 40 pointer we will only have about £28k to take we dont have jobs to go to and we have 2 kids, we are applying to SA but all our contacts and friends are in QLD?? Weve worked towards and thought of nothing else for 3 years but now all of a sudden we just keep questioning it? Please give us some advice we just dont know what to do for the best:cry:x:wubclub:xx

Guest LukeSkywalker
Hi everyone,

So, were having seriously big 2nd thoughts about the whole thing. We are a priority No.5 as liek the rest of you in that position totally gutted. But we are only just applying for state sponsorship now so this gives you an idea of where we are right now.

after the 23rd sep announcement we felt completely despondent with the whole thing as it just feels every avenue another door shuts on us. We have spents thousands of pounds retraining so as we could qualify for oz and now dont know whether to bother?

We know we dont want to wait 3 years we were hoping things may pick up and we could be away within 2? We foolishly looked at a beautiful new build home at the weekend down by the sea and found we could easily afford it which we were surprised at. We both work for local government in secure jobs with private pensions have a decent group of friends and go on holiday on every year. I think we have lost sight of why we wanted to go to oz in the first place

Hubbies job is only a 40 pointer we will only have about £28k to take we dont have jobs to go to and we have 2 kids, we are applying to SA but all our contacts and friends are in QLD?? Weve worked towards and thought of nothing else for 3 years but now all of a sudden we just keep questioning it? Please give us some advice we just dont know what to do for the best:cry:x:wubclub:xx

Personally I'd stay with what you have said.

I've been thinking of much the same for the last week or so for different reasons. In my case my dad is seriously ill and the exchange rate has blown my ability to buy a better house in Oz away. I'm lucky as I have a permanent visa, so I can go whenever I want I suppose - which sounds like its different for you.

Scotland is a lovely place. Amongst the most beautiful places in the world. If you have secure jobs and a good lifestyle, why risk losing that?

Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling down about it all. Have been in that position too. Just playing devils advocate but if it is your dream... stick to it... dogged determination will help you realise your dream. Think about why did you want to emigrate in the first place? Has anything changed or has the process just worn you down? .... maybe a dumb question but is there anyway that you can find an employer to sponsor you in Qld? ... we contacted heaps of companies via their websites, attaching cvs, covering letters, references etc... have you tried that route. ENS visas are being processed as a priority, perhaps offer yourself to a company at a really good initial rate of pay? Dont think SA is an option for you if your friends are in Qld... keep focussed on plan A and dont give up!

If it aint broke then dont fix it. You can have just as good and interesting a life in Scotland as you can anywhere in Australia if you put the same amount of effort into it. A dream has the potential to become a nightmare - just stick with living the life you have and making the very best of it. Unless you have cast iron jobs to move to and a nice little house deposit in the kitty then you would be doing it very tough here at the moment.

Guest sooveroz
Hi everyone,

a difficult one when you want something really badly and it seems to be out your reach - maybe that is fate?? not being able to get something can have the effect of making it seem more desirable - just the same as thinking you are 'stuck' somewhere makes it less desirable. It sounds to me like you are giving this some serious thought which is good, and rationally weighing up pros and cons. no-one can tell you what is the right thing to do - but pleasepleaseplease - don't buy into that "chase your dream' mentality - living is oz is not a dream. its a nice enough place but at the end of the day we all have to work more than we'd like, our kids still fight and argue,, we still get ill, we still worry and bad things happen here too. if you put everything on the line for a dream then it might turn into a nightmare. good luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks guys, its just beginning to take so long and drag on that were forgetting why we even wanted to go in the first place! We are going to look at th employer route and apply for some jobs see the what the intial feed back is. iI kind of just wish it was taken out of ours so we didnt have to decide! Its really getting us down now as we want to just move on either way. Now with the new news it feels like were waiting yet again to find out whats happenin. I suppose its the thought of actually giving up on 4 yrs nearly of hard work and our dream, but if we go and it doesnt work for financial reasons we would be snookered for cash coming back and right back to square one, thats a massive risk in the world climate???

I think you need to try and keep positive... if you have already given 4 years of your life to this why give up now? i'm not saying have a 'chase the dream at all costs mentality' ... I have 3 children and would NEVER suggest that to anyone.. but sometimes you have to re-think the route you need to go, think outside the box so to speak.... my advice is don't go without employer sponsorship. There is a large element of security by being sponsored, you can start work straight away and they employer is committed to you and your family for at least a couple of years (whilst you settle). I would email as many cv's as you can and make sure that your covering letter is excellent....remember there are skills in demand even if they are not on the csl. Good luck.:hug:

Only you can make your decision but I suppose the reason you posted this on here is because you want to hear what other people have done...so this is my personal opinion...if you have it good in Edingburgh stick with it.

but it all depends on your circumstances...and I wil tell you mine

I came here 5 years ago with my husband having spent a year in 2008 travelling on a working visa...we came back to the UK spent 6 years building our lives and got married but we always had the desire to move to Aus...more my DH than me but I was quite up for it,....we came back 5 years ago...it was all good...life was great...we then decided to have a family and that is when things changed we now have 2 boys aged 2.5 and 9 months and you know they hardly know their family. Yeah we may have a lovely house with a swimming pool, beaches, nice weather but I tell you now all that means nothing when you have no close family around you. People may say you have to live your life for you but I believe you only get one chance at life and I want my boys to have lots of loving family around them....nice beaches, swimming pools do not even compare.....to me Australia will always be here but my family wont.

so I my advice is if you have the funds to come here and live your life for a few good years then go for it...but please dont give up everything you have in the UK because what you have there maybe worth so much more....good luck on your decision...:hug:

I like you had real bad second thoughtd before we came and wish I had stuck to my instincts, but had wanted this for so long that I thought we needed to do it.. I have been here only two weeks and just want to turn round and go back home. The country is lovely, lots of things to do and places to go, but the every day life is so different from the UK. I finally found a place I liked and called home in Uk after 25 years of living in different places. Had lovely friends that I could count on if I needed, family and lovely close knit school where kids were doing better than well. It depends on how you want to change your life? If you like me feel that the things I have said are important then I would have a good think. Come for a reccie first, might be expensive but not in the long run if you don't like it. Wish I had. Now I think do I stick it out for the two years that we said or just go back.. In two years the kids will be really settled and it would be hard to then slot back in to my life in UK, but I really need to give it longer. OH for a crystal ball!!!!

Jackie

Thanks everyone.

We went to QLD last year for 3 weeks and loved it totally felt at home the time we were there. But we dont have jobs to go to we have some friends there but also we will only have £28k max to bring with us. We are on the 2nd rung of the property ladder here and have found our dream home and its within our budget. We doubt very much we could ever buy a property in oz?

I believe alot of our family would probably visit but its the daily visits wer going to miss, it wasnt until recently when we thought we were about to submit the visa that our friends have told us how much they will miss us and dont want us to go, when we boke the most recent visa news they were all exceptionally happy!

My parents have also mentioned wanting to go to Florida with the kids next year. We have good holidays every year. God why its so hard to decide???? But i keep thinking we didnt feel like this 2 weeks ago infact we were ecstatic at the thought of applying for state sponsorship so whats changed? Even hubby is beginning to have doubts x

Archived