Roof insulation in Queensland - opinions please

Kabroom

Hi,

We've just bought our first house and are trying to suss out the minefield of different types of roof insulation.

Well you have batts (pink, polyester, fibreglass, earthwool) or ecofoil and there are probably some more that we haven't come across.

Anyone know from experience which is better??

Thanks

Wendy

Guest proud2beaussie

Don't forget that if you are insulating an existing house and have PR that you may be eligible for a grant of up to $1600.00 for the cost.

The scheme is a federal government one run by the Department of the Environment I think.

Found it-http://www.environment.gov.au/energyefficiency/insulation/index.html

Yes thanks Nigel we are taking that into consideration but its just choosing the right type of insulation.

Obviously different places are going to plug their own products and there are pros and cons for each type, it's just trying to suss it all out.

We have just had ours done with the baton type stuff(sorry not a clue what its called really), Nigel is right you can get $1600 grant so even if you have a large house there is little extra cost involved,(maybe an extra pack or 2), lets hope it keeps some of the heat in come next winter.

Cal x

Guest brooksey

you'll be lucky to get some at the miuite as there is a two month waiting list everywhere. Unless you get a company to do it for you who has some secured. Batts or rolls are better in my opinion as they don't blow around.

• 3 months later...

As an aside, we had insulation put in our house last October (while we were travelling in fact) and the difference it's making to the indoor temperature is amazing, at least now in the summer heat. I'll be interested to see if the same holds true in the cold of winter. I'm also curious to see the effect this will have on our heating/cooling bill too.

In any case, whatever type you choose, getting it done is highly recommended.

Bob

Archived