Will short break affect chances of getting permanent visa on defacto relationship?

Guest ukaussie

Guest ukaussie

I am in Australia on a defacto spouse 309 visa. I've been here since January and have until January 2011 until I get the permanant visa, at the moment it is provisional. Things with my partner aren't that great at the moment and I'm feeling like I need a bit of space away from him to decide whether we are meant to be together or not. I know that we have to prove evidence of our relationship in order to get the permanant visa in a year and a half so if I had say a month or two away from him in a shared house or hostel would that affect things? I don't want to go back to the UK right away because of the expense and because I want to see if we can work things out before taking such a big step of returning to England. It's so hard being in this position in another country because I feel that we can work things out we just need a step back from the situation for a while but we can't risk ruining getting the permanant visa because that would ruin things for us long term. Does anyone know anything that may be able to help? Thank you! :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Clarty

I am on the Sublass 309 defact visa. Ive been in Oz since Jan 2010. My partner is an Australian Citizen. We have been together many yrs.My issue is we have now split up + Im unsure what my options are. It was amicable but nevertheless heart wrenching to split. Understandably it took alot of time and hard work to get into Australia so I want to stay if at all possible. Apart from sponsorship through my full time job does anyone have any ideas of options I have?Any advice would be gratefully received.

Guest siamsusie
I am on the Sublass 309 defact visa. Ive been in Oz since Jan 2010. My partner is an Australian Citizen. We have been together many yrs.My issue is we have now split up + Im unsure what my options are. It was amicable but nevertheless heart wrenching to split. Understandably it took alot of time and hard work to get into Australia so I want to stay if at all possible. Apart from sponsorship through my full time job does anyone have any ideas of options I have?Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Clarty,

I am so sorry to hear this!.

Maybe seek the advice of a Migration Agent before informing DIAC to look at all the avenues, they have all the expertise and knowledge.

I do hope things work out well for you.

Susie x

The sad news is, you will not be allowed to stay in Australia on your partner visa. To stay, you will need to find an alternative visa to apply for. As Siamsusie says, the best thing to do would be to discuss your situation with a migration agent.

Archived