Gippsland as a first place to live

ollsbolls

My wife and two kids (2 and 5) have the opportunity to work in Gippsland. Our family and social connections are in Sydney. Can anyone advise on if this would be a good place to start off. Part of our thinking is to avoid Sydney (and cities in general) for a while. Anyone have experience of the area and what we could expect?

Gippsland is a large area and I love it. Its very nice and parts of it are close to Melbourne. There are a lot of nice towns in Gippsland, Leongatha, Foster, Inverloch, Wonthaggi, Korumburra and more. Parts are very hilly and parts are flat, lovely beaches and its milk and beef country.

Country towns usually have a good social life but it is usually centred around the local sporting clubs of which you can become non playing members.

If I did not live here where I love, I would consider living in Gippsland for the peace and quiet away from the hubub of Melbourne.

I guess it all depends on where you can get a job. There are some really beautiful spots but the chance of getting a job get slimmer the further east you go. There are also some areas to avoid - Moe never really appealed to me for example. The closer you are to Melbourne obviously the better your chance of employment unless you have a particular in demand skill set - doctors and nurses for example are pretty much ok wherever they want to go. Watch out that you dont settle in an area that gets flooded - check out the floods and bushfire history of the area (although with the recent bushfires you should be ok in some of those areas for a while) as they have had some nasty flooding especially along the Mitchell, Macalister, Thomson and Avon rivers over the recent past. However, dont let that put you off, it is a beautiful part of the country and fortunately much greener than the west of the state.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to Pio.

There are some stunning places in Gippsland and I could definately move there no problem at all. However, as a family we prefer the peace and quiet and do not enjoy city life. I think if you are city people you may struggle and feel quite isolated, however, if you like the village life then you will be fine.

Gippsland is a very, very big place so it depends what you're looking for. I live in South Gippsland and love it close enough to Melbourne for a city fix but not too close. Somewhere like Warragul in West Gippsland is on a direct train route to Melbourne and people commute to Melbourne to work on the other hand go out to East Gippsland and you get the best countryside in the State but it is quite remote. If you love beaches and the sea then we have the most unspoilt and undeveloped coastline too - until the Desal plant at least..

I have also been offered a job in the Gippsland region. We were overwhelmed by how huge the area is and based oursearch on my husbands profession and where he would have the most chance to get a job (he is a greenkeeper). We weighed up what we wanted from the area we were going to live in and we decided on Leongatha, which is where we will go first. This willl give us a chance to see if we like the area or if we would like to be in one of the other towns (i use that term loosely!!). I went on a web site www.travelvictoria.com.au/leongatha/, this gives you some idea about the areas. Hope it all works out for you guys.:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Foster yesterday at a funeral and the countryside is lovely this time of year. It was a huge funeral as my friend's father was a well known cattle breeder and farmer. Fantastic country people so nice and friendly down to earth love it.

My daughter and family live in Gippsland and they just love it. They lost their home in the bushfires and the local folk were so good to them they decided to stay and rebuild on their block. You get used to the travel - they are in a remote area but they love all the kangaroos, echidnas etc that come on their property.

My daughter and family live in Gippsland and they just love it. They lost their home in the bushfires and the local folk were so good to them they decided to stay and rebuild on their block. You get used to the travel - they are in a remote area but they love all the kangaroos, echidnas etc that come on their property.

Sorry to hear about your daughter losing her home but you are right, the sense of community down in Gippsland was amazing and the community support was right there. I am surprised that there werent more fire affected blocks for sale in the months after but many of the folk I spoke to down there were preparing to stay and rebuild because of the community.

Guest whydidyoudothat

My Parents have a house in South Gippsland and I have spent quite a lot of time there. It's big, very big and whether it will suit you depends on what your expectations are and whereabouts you are actually going to stay. Some places a little far out and can be quite isolating (which I guess could be good if you like that sort of thing).

• 1 year later...

Whao ! I'd love to live in a place where I could spot kangaroo in my own backyard ! Can you tell me where it is exactly ?

Guest TaniaandRob

I grew up and am about to move back to a house a few doors up from starlight7's kids place and I can vouch for the kangaroos and the front lawn as well as loads of wombats, echidnas, wallabies, amazing birds and all the aussie animals you can think of. It is a beautiful spot with a wonderful community and a very good primary school. You would probably need to find work in Latrobe Valley or South Gippsland which are comfortably commutable.

I'm getting excited knowing there are so many POI members local to us. Will have to arrange a meet up when we get home. My hubby has never been to Oz before so I'd love him to have a few friends that are in a similar situation.....

:jiggy::anisanta:

Guest TaniaandRob
Whao ! I'd love to live in a place where I could spot kangaroo in my own backyard ! Can you tell me where it is exactly ?

A town called Boolarra - also look up for local attractions - Rail Trail and tara bulga national park - these are on your doorstep.

• 2 months later...
Guest sanda
My wife and two kids (2 and 5) have the opportunity to work in Gippsland. Our family and social connections are in Sydney. Can anyone advise on if this would be a good place to start off. Part of our thinking is to avoid Sydney (and cities in general) for a while. Anyone have experience of the area and what we could expect?

I'll be honest yes there are some stunning areas but no one here has mentioned the power station that dominate the skyline here. I'm in Traralgon. We were at our wits end living in Queensland I worked casual in Brisbane but husband could not find his type of work. So applied for jobs in other areas and here I am not enjoying life in Trarlagon. Moe and Morwell are worse so I'm luck I don't live there... :arghh:

Personally if we had a choice would not choose this area. The advice is good near to the city is better. Some of the coast whilst looking nice is so remote. I thought I loved the country but I'm struggling here. I have also felt like an outsider something I didn't feel in Queensland. We lived near burpengary property was cheaper for what you got and the city was only a hour away. People where so friendly too. Miss it so much.

If anyone is in the Traralgon area would love to here from you, feeling so a lone right now I have son 4, but the days are difficult all alone.

Guest diannewo
I'll be honest yes there are some stunning areas but no one here has mentioned the power station that dominate the skyline here. I'm in Traralgon. We were at our wits end living in Queensland I worked casual in Brisbane but husband could not find his type of work. So applied for jobs in other areas and here I am not enjoying life in Trarlagon. Moe and Morwell are worse so I'm luck I don't live there... :arghh:

Personally if we had a choice would not choose this area. The advice is good near to the city is better. Some of the coast whilst looking nice is so remote. I thought I loved the country but I'm struggling here. I have also felt like an outsider something I didn't feel in Queensland. We lived near burpengary property was cheaper for what you got and the city was only a hour away. People where so friendly too. Miss it so much.

If anyone is in the Traralgon area would love to here from you, feeling so a lone right now I have son 4, but the days are difficult all alone.

Hi sandra i'm sorry to hear your unhappy but i know where you coming from,we moved to Hopppers Crossing in jan 2011, hubby works and daughter goes to school i feel isolated and think i made wrong choice coming to oz.although i don't live in your area i too have lots of things i don't like about my area.I live in a small street which 90% is asian or foreign (very little englishheard on street) even oz people seem to keep to themselves and when i speak to them they look at me like i have just spoken latin.we also have the school kids who's manners leave a lot to be desired,think brit kids are better behaved.is it just you who doesn't like the area you are in or your hubby also?is there any chance you could move somewhere better and your hubby comute?sorry can't help you much but i'm here if you need someone to have a moan with.as people tell me keep your chin up Dianne

We lived in a town called Sale in Gippsland for the first 3 years of being in Aus, only moved over to WA in Dec 10. It was a great country town with really good amenities. We also travelled around all the other places in the area and didn't find any of them awful, although some could be quite remote, but there are a few like someone mentioned before Moe and the surrounding areas, I wouldn't of choosen to live, but it again depends where your coming from - a town or a village? I found the community spirit there wonderful and everyone was very friendly and welcoming if your willing to join in and put yourself out. It felt safe for my children and they both really enjoyed living there, made some great Australian friends. Our problem was that neither myself or OH could find permanent work and we did feel rather isolated at times. We would think nothing in the end to a 6hr round trip into Melbourne, to get a city fix - and we were not city people! All in all I'm glad we started of where we did, I have no regrets, I feel it was a good stepping stone. Also alot of people where we lived would drive to Sydney in 10 -12 hrs and then return in less than a week. So thats an option for visiting your family, Good luck with deciding and all the best for the move over!

Guest sanda

you are so right the distances involved to get to decent shops and amenties we are used to on the doorstep are crazy. I thought the country fab I hate cities but I didn't appreciate just how different Australia is Qeensland was not like this at all. Perth never been there...

Guest sanda
Hi sandra i'm sorry to hear your unhappy but i know where you coming from,we moved to Hopppers Crossing in jan 2011, hubby works and daughter goes to school i feel isolated and think i made wrong choice coming to oz.although i don't live in your area i too have lots of things i don't like about my area.I live in a small street which 90% is asian or foreign (very little englishheard on street) even oz people seem to keep to themselves and when i speak to them they look at me like i have just spoken latin.we also have the school kids who's manners leave a lot to be desired,think brit kids are better behaved.is it just you who doesn't like the area you are in or your hubby also?is there any chance you could move somewhere better and your hubby comute?sorry can't help you much but i'm here if you need someone to have a moan with.as people tell me keep your chin up Dianne

Oh Dianne,

Just looked up where you are I see, I think that is also different here than queensland they are a lot of new asian/foreign here too. The house we are renting is owned by asians and this was very apparent on arrival (the cooking smell was unbearable). I also agree that the standard of upbringing of kids is more variable, but there is good and bad everywhere. I was outside a shop the other day a boy approx 17 with tiny baby wrapped in dirty blanklet and dirty toys crying, brought me to tears poor little thing. The Playgroup climbing frame was so dirty I just can't bear seeing children on it that I have not been back, my son said I don't like it here and cried (so did I inside!). It was covered in green stuff and little one were dirty and then putting there fingers in their mouths. I'm just different it seems I'm the only one who seems fussed hygiene but it is just the way I have been brought up. Can I ignore it I doubt it. Do I think Australia is better than UK? UK has lots of issues I feel so sad for England the aborginals I know how they feel. I felt crowded out and it was upsetting me there. The aboriginals do get help here perferance in jobs and education as it should be. In the UK as natives you were treated as second rate... I have learnt alot being here the world is the same we all are different but trying to get the best for our family. Some are just more fortunate than others and get lucky, the rest of us just have to struggle on, the more you had the harder it is to find that happiness it again.

Chin up I can see cows and sheep when I put out my washing that a least cheers me up

Oh Sanda I do feel for you! we used to go to and through Tralagon quite a bit as most of the big shops were there and both my boys played soccer every Saturday, but I must admit I'm not sure I could live there for any amount of time, does your husband work in Tralagon? Have you been to Sale? its only half hour up the road - would you consider moving? I found it so different to 'The Valley'. The parks, playground equipment and lakes are kept to a really high standard, there never seemed to be any vandalism etc and and like I said before a real community spirit, especially if you've got a little one, you really need that. There is also a RAAF base there, so there are a few other expats too? I really hope it works out for you!

Guest sanda
Oh Sanda I do feel for you! we used to go to and through Tralagon quite a bit as most of the big shops were there and both my boys played soccer every Saturday, but I must admit I'm not sure I could live there for any amount of time, does your husband work in Tralagon? Have you been to Sale? its only half hour up the road - would you consider moving? I found it so different to 'The Valley'. The parks, playground equipment and lakes are kept to a really high standard, there never seemed to be any vandalism etc and and like I said before a real community spirit, especially if you've got a little one, you really need that. There is also a RAAF base there, so there are a few other expats too? I really hope it works out for you!

Sale is in the wrong direction for Melbourne, hoping to goto warragul not sure about the commute to Traralgon. My husband used to work on miltary aircraft in UK but here you have to be a citzen to be able to work on miltary, it is a nightmare just need to get the citizenship so we can then hopefully move on trouble is my husband mid 40 so not sure if age may then be an issue.

Archived