You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest TessnLee

Serious illness struck b4 medical, advice plz?

Guest TessnLee

Hiya

About a week after we received Queensland State Sponsorship ( 3 weeks ago) my hubby was unexpectadly diagnosed with Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, a type of cancer and has just started chemotherapy.

We applied for our visa last September and although Queensland Gov say they have informed the Dep of Immi that we now have state sponsorhsip we are yet to be allocated a case officer.

Am I right in thinking we will now have to wait for 3 -5 years of remission and how do we find out exactly how long he needs to be clear?

Also does anyone know what happens to our visa application as we have paid our first installment but can not proceed until we know we can all pass the medicals? Will it be put on hold, would there be any chance of a refund?

Finally if we have to start the visa ap again in a few years time, will his TRA still be in date?

I understand these are complex questions but was hoping someone with experience might be able to throw a bit of light onto our situation so we know what to expect.

Thanks guys, Tess.

Cant help you but just read your post you must be very shaken really sorry for you both. There will be people who can advise you. Take care x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tess

My neighbour had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma when he was about 35. He was very poorly for a couple of years but he is fighting fit now, 5 or 6 years later.) Apparently although it is a type of cancer people normally make a complete recovery from it.

You may not be aware that on Wednesday 23rd September - two days ago - the Minister for Immi suddenly changed visa processing priorities yet again:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

Please see Q11 of the FAQ.

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

Please click on the first link in the list.

According to DIAC it is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012. It seems that DIAC's estmate is accurate:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

The delay will work in your favour because it is likely that Hubby will be well on the road to recovery by then and his current illness may well have no adverse impact on your application.

Fingers crossed that everything goes well during the treatment. It is a horrible thing to have to deal with but at least you can forget about Aussie visas for two years at least.

Hugs

Gill

xx :hug: