Sub-class 165 visa timescales

Guest Iain H

Hi PIO family !!

I have at long last got all the necessary info together for my lawyers to get my visa application lodged. This should be next week. I am told that I may be looking at a 12-14 month duration to get the visa granted ( if I qualify ! ) because there is a high volume of applicants currently wanting to get in to Oz. I thought ( and hoped ! ) that a Sub-Class 165 application would be a little quicker than this because it basically revolves around a sum of money being deposited in a State fund ( Queensland in our case ) and left there for four years rather than assessments being made soley on skills determination or sponsorship ( although I think I have a reasonably good case cos I'm in renewable technology ). Has anyone else out there been through the Sub-Class 165 visa application and if so how long did it take to get it ? Or if anyone is going through it now, have you been advised the same timescales ??

Thanks

Iain H :huh:

Hello Iain.

12 to 14 months would be longer than I would expect.

We have seen subclass 165 applications processed in 6 months of late - for example we had a grant in early July for an application that was lodged in January 2009.

Another example: a subclass 163 application was lodged in May and granted in August.

Clearly having an application that is substantially complete will facilitate a more timely outcome.

While you are waiting, this article might be useful: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Good luck!

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for your response. I realise that timescales are variable but your response gives me a bit more hope of an earlier turnaround. I suppose my next question would be to all, how likely is the visa to be granted ? Are SC165 visa'a more routinely granted over other types of visa applications so long as the financials are in place and obviously police / health checks are OK ? Has anyone had a SC165 visa refused ?

Iain

Well we've never had a s/c 165 visa application refused, Iain - maybe ask your advisors the same question?

The main risk area on this type of application is evidencing the management of your portfolio to the satisfaction of the DIAC case officer (assuming you are not going for this visa subclass on the basis of being a business owner), and ensuring there is evidence of the disposal of investments/income generated from investments to generate the cash needed to make the Designated Investment.

On which note, make sure you take some CGT planning advice if you are indeed intending to dispose of investments to make the DI in due course ... sorry to bash on about tax again, but it can be a material issue, particularly for 165 visa applicants.

Best regards.

Yep, that's right Nick, the business skills program was formally capped last year (2008/09).

Fortunately for Iain the Minister's new Priority Processing directive of Wednesday (23/09/2009) requires State and Territory Sponsored business skills visa applications to be processed before those business skills applications that are not Sponsored.

Best regards.

Alan / Nick,

Thank you very much for your responses. You have helped me very much and I appreciate you giving up time in responding to me. Thank you

Iain H

Archived