New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The wording of the notices suggest that everything will get stopped and worked in the new priority order. Clearly that is barking when applications are nearing completion, and I hope that common sense prevails.

Anyone else feel sick today?

Yes, I have already seen an email from the ASPC this afternoon for a State Sponsored client for whom we have submitted all required docs:

"As xxxxx's nominated occupation is not on the CSL and he is not sponsored by an employer, the processing of this visa application will be delayed until those visa applications which meet the higher processing priorities are finalised.

This priority processing Direction supersedes all previous Directions and applies to all unfinalised GSM applications with the exception of the subclass 476, 883 and 887 visas identified above. This Direction applies irrespective of whether the application is newly lodged, has been assessed and is in the final stages of processing, or is nominated by a State or Territory government or family sponsor."

Frankly, I think it is outrageous that applicants who incur costs in good faith and who have reasonable expectations that their visas will be granted imminently are treated in such a disrespectful manner.

The Minister's changes should (in my view) only impact those whose applications are lodged after the date of his Direction, in the same manner that (say) MODL changes do not affect visa applications already lodged.

I shall be writing to the Minister expressing my views, but I fear it will be of little consequence - he has a wider constituency to consider, and (being cynical) a political end in mind.

As an aside, I sympathise with DIAC staff at the sharp end of visa processing, particularly those at the ASPC and the BSPC who are no doubt struggling with the practical consequences of the tinkerman Minister.

Best wishes to all applicants - you will get there, but it may just take somewhat longer than you had anticipated.

Been reading through all the posts when I should be decorating!

I feel so sad for peeps who thought they were nearly there and now ????

I have a question. We have just applied for State sponsorship and hopefully will be in a position to apply for a 176 in Jan/Feb 2010. My wife is a Nurse and so we are on the CSL. According to this we will not get our visa for 15 months. Am I reading this correctly or am I missing something?

JOHN

Guest garynhelen

so, after following this link

General Skilled Migration (scroll down the page)

It seems that even if we get ss (off list so a long shot anyway) we still have to wait 3 years for a visa??!! How is that going to work when my kids will be 14, 18 and 19 by then? And it will be even more difficult to get work as my Oh will be 45 by then. And if we don't get ss, how much longer will that be, its not really clear, or am I dumb?

Soo very depressed about all this, paid good money in good faith to get visa in 12-18 months (we thought!)

Wanted down under.......it seems not!!

Guest Impatient
The Minister's changes should (in my view) only impact those whose applications are lodged after the date of his Direction, in the same manner that (say) MODL changes do not affect visa applications already lodged.

This would not help me as have not lodged, but sounds like a reasonable approach. But then you have always sounded very reasonable in your advice.

Best wishes to all applicants - you will get there, but it may just take somewhat longer than you had anticipated.

Nope, there are probably those among us that have put their parts of their lives on hold for long enough. I will give myself a limited time to find some sponsored employment and then make alternative plans if it does not work out. At some point the need for stability, a family home and a known route through kids education must take priority. There are just too many negatives now...

If anyone knows anyone that works in the City in Financial Services and contributed to the economic crisis that caused this mess, please punch them as hard as you like for me. Not really their fault, but would make me feel better.

Guest Impatient
I have a question. We have just applied for State sponsorship and hopefully will be in a position to apply for a 176 in Jan/Feb 2010. My wife is a Nurse and so we are on the CSL. According to this we will not get our visa for 15 months. Am I reading this correctly or am I missing something?

Linky is out of date. I read the latest info that you would be priority 2, and prob sorted within 12 mths of lodging visa - not sure if you have applied or not yet.

<snip>

... there are probably those among us that have put their parts of their lives on hold for long enough. I will give myself a limited time to find some sponsored employment and then make alternative plans if it does not work out. At some point the need for stability, a family home and a known route through kids education must take priority. There are just too many negatives now...

<snip>

Fair enough Mr Imp - I can't argue with what is a personal decision. For my part if Australia had gotten into my head as a "must see and do for more than a holiday" I'd lodge an application and at least give myself a chance of spending some time there at some stage in my life. Better to give it a go than die wondering, and all that ... this perspective was certainly a driver for my wife and I when we initiated our skilled visa application some 9 years ago.

I would also say that general disenchantment and a reduction in the number of applications is no doubt what the Minister wants to see with processing times for some skilled visa applications now pushing out towards 3 years.

Unfortunately skilled visa processing is fast becoming a war of attrition for many intending migrants.

Best regards.

Guest jilkfree1978

they might change something else again before we get visa! and be pushed back

again to even later processing our visa is not till end of 2012 now,

can be going on for years! or maybe the occupation on

the s.o.l list may be taken off so we get less points so we dont qualify for

sponsorship!! so in the end we dont qualify for visa!!

in the end i think its a no win situation!

Guest Impatient
Fair enough Mr Imp - I can't argue with what is a personal decision. For my part if Australia had gotten into my head as a "must see and do for more than a holiday" I'd lodge an application and at least give myself a chance of spending some time there at some stage in my life. Better to give it a go than die wondering, and all that ... this perspective was certainly a driver for my wife and I when we initiated our skilled visa application some 9 years ago.

Yep, totally agreed, but not at any cost. A lot of this for me is that I have an opportunity and an incentive to start a second career next year. Changing timescales fundamentally changes life plans and I always said I would do this as long as I can provide stability for the smallies or do it early enough that they don't need to be that stable. The time will come where I cannot provide that by clinging to a dream that DIAC might move further away.

Guest Tamarama

Oh No! I don't belive it...

Im down for 475 have a CO done my ielts, got vetassess passed and just done my medical and awaiting my police cert ......typical was sponsered by SA but not on CSL list.....

Anyone any updates??? or Positive news for me??????

Guest Impatient

Sorry T, looks like you are one of those likely to be most affected by this.:arghh:

Guest jilkfree1978

im sure it says it affects people in the final stages of application aswell!! so maybe you have been pushed back because not on csl!!

Oh No! I don't belive it...

Im down for 475 have a CO done my ielts, got vetassess passed and just done my medical and awaiting my police cert ......typical was sponsered by SA but not on CSL list.....

Guest Lindseyf

I am sitting here trying to get over the flu and have just blubber my heart out!! We are waiting for SS, we thought our visa would be granted over the next few months, so we have had police checks, medicals, sold the house(living with parents) and last week we both handed in our notice at work(good well payed jobs!!). All I can think now is what the hell have we done!!! We have flights booked for 28th dec as we were advised by our agent that worst case scenario we could get WHV until our visa came through. Now with these changes I don't know what to do, I can't stop crying and don't know how to tell my hubby, from the looks of it we are not on the CSL so does this mean we are looking at 2012?? Please anyone any advice??

Guest highlander
they might change something else again before we get visa! and be pushed back

again to even later processing our visa is not till end of 2012 now,

can be going on for years! or maybe the occupation on

the s.o.l list may be taken off so we get less points so we dont qualify for

sponsorship!! so in the end we dont qualify for visa!!

in the end i think its a no win situation!

WELL THAT is the plan. According to research from last few years Government is taking way too many (immigrants) and Minister Office is under fire to reduce or halt immigration numbers to sustain local jobs..

Australia will be hard to enter in 12 months time..(already been) see your self as you can see only 15-20 occuptions listed on CSL as compare last year.. no surprise if they only want Doctors,Engineers,teachers and Nurses in coming years as thats what government really want for regional areas.. it really shortage... Get ready for bumpy ride folks.. me very concern that how Minsiter is playing with our lifes...:confused:

Guest June Pixie

Oh Jeez - What a crock of ****. My agent just rang to say we will be affected as non CSL 176. Luckily he advised us not be get medicals and police checks done last week, even though visa lodged and just await CO - Well looks like that CO will be saying "Hello" to us in 2012!!!! My OH won't be to impressed if he has to go through the IELTS again as it will expire in 2 years. Bloody lucky thing I didn't sell the house!

Guest highlander
I am sitting here trying to get over the flu and have just blubber my heart out!! We are waiting for SS, we thought our visa would be granted over the next few months, so we have had police checks, medicals, sold the house(living with parents) and last week we both handed in our notice at work(good well payed jobs!!). All I can think now is what the hell have we done!!! We have flights booked for 28th dec as we were advised by our agent that worst case scenario we could get WHV until our visa came through. Now with these changes I don't know what to do, I can't stop crying and don't know how to tell my hubby, from the looks of it we are not on the CSL so does this mean we are looking at 2012?? Please anyone any advice??

Dear Linseyf

My heart goes away to you guys. i am in very simmilar scenario & very sad..Me feeling very sick since heard this. Please stay positive.. I hope these changes affect to applicants who will be lodging their application from today... If this is true you may get VISA soon... so fingers cross.. This anouncement had ruined not only my but lot of concerned families day.. :sad:

Go Matilda News article: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

I fear much of the backlog - resulting in the Minister's various directives and policy announcements - is being caused by large numbers of student visaholders who are now seeking permanent residency visas under the skilled program.

If Australia hadn't followed the international education dollar I dare say there would be a lot more places available for general skilled migrants under the offshore visa categories - who (I submit) are more likely to have the skills, experience and qualities that are required by Australian business.

Apologies if that offends anyone, but I call it as I see it.

Best regards.

Guest jilkfree1978

basically they have just taken all our money!! and dont want us now!!

i bet diac has got a nice tidy sum of money in there bank now? from all of us!

I am so gutted and feel that we have been taken for a ride. We applied at the end of June this year on a 175 WITH A JOB OFFER knowing that the visa would not be looked at until July 2010 but that was our only way of getting a permanent visa as O/H occupcation was not on state list for Queensland. Now they have moved the goal post again and I am really worried that when the time comes our job offer may not be still there as the company did not expect it to take this long and if that is the case we will be short on our points. We are going out for a reccie on November and thought that it would only be 8 months after our visit that our visa would be looked at and now it will be at least another 18 months. What a nightmare for everyone!!!:arghh:

Just got latest information that From 23 September 2009:arghh: Yes !! it applies to all new applications and the ones in the pipeline....

Source: What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

"All GSM applications, other than a Subclass 476, 883 and 887 are subject to the priority processing arrangements under the Minister’s Direction. Applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory and have nominated an occupation on the CSL receive the second highest priority. Applicants who are nominated by a State/Territory and have not nominated an occupation on the CSL will receive lower priority. "

New Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed

first) apply:

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS

2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and

whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)

3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated

occupation is listed on the CSL

4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose

nominated occupation is listed on the CSL

5. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose

nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations

in Demand List (MODL)

and

(ii) applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated

occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

Archived