Phoenix

How long does customs clearance take?

Hi all,

Im looking for some peoples experience with customs clearance

we have a 40' container due in on the 18th, professionally packed by pickfords etc, but whilst we have the due date for the boat we are finding it hard to get much guidance n how long it will take to get customs clearance..... what were other peoples experience with this?

The problem we have is that we have a furnished house with options to rent until xmas, but we want to try and avoid renting an otherwise empty house for any longer than we really need to, but on the other hand we are looking at a pretty nice property that wont be available until 3 weeks after the boat is due in, and one months storage could cost an extra $1000!!!

Guest The Bee Family

Hi Phoenix,

I have just had pickfords at my house on Monday to give me a quote for our shipment of a 20ft container and he advised us the container will be in customs for aprox 2 weeks. Pickfords then call you and let you know your container is ready for delivery.

Kind Regards,

Kim

Guest Amyrack

would u mind me asking how much that cost to get a 40 ' container over ? we dont know weather were going to sell everything and buy all new when we get there or shipeverything over. Thanks

I would be interested in the same info please. Thinking of a 40' container. (Q) Do they bring the container to your house, load it and take it straight to the container ship ?. (Q) can you put your vehicle inside the container with your house stuff if you're taking that as well.

cheers

carlos

Hi. We had a 20ft container from PSS removals at a cost of £3600. The 2 men turned up prompt at 6.50 am 10th August and wrapped everything in special thick brown paper from our 2 bed house + 6 bikes, tools and some furniture and beds etc from my daughters house, it was rammed. The container turned up at 10o clock, (container stays on lorry, i thought they dropped it on floor for ease of loading) parked as close as he could and it was loaded and gone by 2.00pm. The container arrived in Melbourne yesterday and we was advised it will clear customs in 10 days. They then deliver and unpack at new address or as in our case are storing for a few weeks until we find a rental. Hope this helps. Pez.

We bought a 20ft and it cost £4400 approx, we were quoted for a 40ft and it was around £6600 (including a car). As for clearance times we were told 10-14 days for customs BUT you are in the hands of customs. Our container arrived on January 21st and it has been 'detained' for inspection, once customs have done their worst we then still have to wait 10-14 days for it to be delivered.

We managed to get a rental on the basis that it would be 10-14 days and didn't want to pay out for storage too! Thankfully we have been helped out by some really kind fellow PIO forum members and we have something to sit on and something to sleep on, but it isn't ideal when you have no idea of the timescale involved. You may be luckier than us and have short term accommodation for longer and need it - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Good luck

Karen x

Guest ClareFarmer

Our 20' container left Liverpool on 10th November and arrived in Melbourne on 11th January, a week behind schedule. We were advised two weeks later, on 25th January, that it had passed customs and it is being delivered next Tuesday - 2nd Feb. We used Britannia, linked with OSS Removals here. Britannia fully wrapped and packed everything. The container was loaded and secured at our house. It was shipped then unloaded in Melbourne for customs inspection. It will be delivered in a lorry, not in the container. Although yet to receive and check everything, we have been very happy with the service so far.

Clare