An arachnophobic's worry

Guest r17ych

Any Poms will remember spiders in amongst your washing when brought in off the washing line, is that something you have to look for in Oz? :wideeyed:

Love,

Raych x

You will be fine, honest,, if i can live out here ,you can ! lol

I have never had a spider in my washing, i have never seen a redback spider near my house, in 3 years i have seen one dangerous snake (in our pool) and we live on acreage backing onto bushland.

I found on arrival i spent the first few weeks freaking when anything moved and was constantly waiting for that deadly spider to pounce and attack! lol After a few weeks i think i realised they are not hiding behind every door waiting to eat me!lol

Cal x

It's not something which should really affect your life.....there is wildlife out there, respect it, give it a wide berth when you need to,:yes: and you should be fine!

Thanks for that, and I will definitely be respecting them and giving them as wide a berth as they want. :notworthy:

Love,

Raych x

You will be fine, honest,, if i can live out here ,you can ! lol

I have never had a spider in my washing, i have never seen a redback spider near my house, in 3 years i have seen one dangerous snake (in our pool) and we live on acreage backing onto bushland.

I found on arrival i spent the first few weeks freaking when anything moved and was constantly waiting for that deadly spider to pounce and attack! lol After a few weeks i think i realised they are not hiding behind every door waiting to eat me!lol

Cal x

Thanks for that reassurance Cal its exactly what I needed to hear. I am like most people who are frightened of spiders probably where my eyes will automatically go to one wherever they are :radar:. If you had seen me this weekend when my husband was brushing the doorway of cobwebs I think you would probably advise me to stay put as the spider that forced me to run away screaming was miniscule. God help me and all of Oz if I see a huntsman my screams will be heard all over the country!

Love,

Raych x

I also dislike spiders. I use the term loosley. (run away screaming like a girl, i am over 6ft and a man). They are not as common as you would think, they don't hide under toilet seats, or in your bed and the big ones that you can easily see are harmless and can run like buggery, thankfully in the opposite direction. If this has worked there should be a picture of one the wife found in the BBQ, turned it on and it went and sat on my pincers without me noticing!!!!!!!! screamed in shock like a girl!! Baby huntsman i am told!!! baby my arse. The mother would pobably nick your washing not sit in it!

I also dislike spiders. I use the term loosley. (run away screaming like a girl, i am over 6ft and a man). They are not as common as you would think, they don't hide under toilet seats, or in your bed and the big ones that you can easily see are harmless and can run like buggery, thankfully in the opposite direction. If this has worked there should be a picture of one the wife found in the BBQ, turned it on and it went and sat on my pincers without me noticing!!!!!!!! screamed in shock like a girl!! Baby huntsman i am told!!! baby my arse. The mother would pobably nick your washing not sit in it!

:biglaugh: No, there is no picture andyhus! Thanks for the laugh and image I have conjured up anyway.

Love,

Raych x

Guest Paula125

I too am bloody scared of spiders! Thankfully you don't see them as often as some people would have you believe.

I was the same as Cal at first, expecting to see snakes and spiders at every turn lol! We've been here three years, I haven't seen a snake yet and I've only ever seen a redback once and that was only because my father in law actively went looking for one to show me what they look like.

Huntsman are more common but even at that, I can't remember the last time I saw one in the house.

If you'd like to see rather a large huntsman then have a look through my previous posts.....I posted a photo not too long ago of the first huntsman I saw in Australia. But I've been told by Aussies that this particualr huntsman is pretty bloody big as far as huntsmans go, thankfully they're not all that big lol!

Never get complacent

Don't leave your shoes outside spiders like to crawl inside them

Always wear gloves when gardening creepy crawlies love living under rocks etc

Don't leave rubbish around the backyard etc the less hiding spots they have the better

Always drink out of a glass or if its a can use a straw, wasps love the inside of cans.

If you're going for a walk in the bush wear closed footwear and watch where your walking! we don't want you stepping on a snake do we........

Over time you will get used to living with spiders, snakes and everything else that can kill you or make you really sick

Guest mikka711

I've heard of some kind of bombs that you put in the house as a spider deterent - how do they work? And is there something similar that you can use for the around the outside of the house as well, e.g. seating areas, patios, verandahs?

And thanks for the reassuring posts folks - I am so arachnophobic that I was considering having some aversion therapy before emigrating... One of the reasons I'd put off this move was the "jumping tarantulas" :swoon:and other imagined deadlies....but it,s now or never so I must face my foe:eek:

Never get complacent

Don't leave rubbish around the backyard etc the less hiding spots they have the better

Always drink out of a glass or if its a can use a straw, wasps love the inside of cans.

If you're going for a walk in the bush wear closed footwear and watch where your walking! we don't want you stepping on a snake do we........

Over time you will get used to living with spiders, snakes and everything else that can kill you or make you really sick

Thanks........I think! :biglaugh:

Love,

Raych x

I've heard of some kind of bombs that you put in the house as a spider deterent - how do they work? And is there something similar that you can use for the around the outside of the house as well, e.g. seating areas, patios, verandahs?

And thanks for the reassuring posts folks - I am so arachnophobic that I was considering having some aversion therapy before emigrating... One of the reasons I'd put off this move was the "jumping tarantulas" :swoon:and other imagined deadlies....but it,s now or never so I must face my foe:eek:

We must be mad going to the country with the deadliest animals hey? Worth the risk though I think! Where you heading?

Love,

Raych x

You can buy pest bombs but you shouldn't really need them if you keep up to date with your yearly pest sprays.(there are lots of pest spray company's out here). Once you have had a spray it will kill anything that does get in so you are pretty safe. As Geoffrey says its good to keep around the house neat and tidy, don't pile rubbish or anything up against walls and to deter ants don't have soil or mulch right up to the house walls.

You can buy the pest spray stuff although it is expensive at $40 for a teneney weeney bottle, we buy one dilute it as per instructions and put it in a pump spray bottle, then every few weeks we just go around and give everywhere a quick spray.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest mikka711

Heya Raych

We're aiming to be in Canberra sometime next Spring. And you're right - can't let a few hairy critters dictate where we wanna live!!!

How about you? Where are you headed? (and is that your little'un with you in your profile pic - she is pretty):v_SPIN:

Guest mikka711
You can buy pest bombs but you shouldn't really need them if you keep up to date with your yearly pest sprays.(there are lots of pest spray company's out here). Once you have had a spray it will kill anything that does get in so you are pretty safe. As Geoffrey says its good to keep around the house neat and tidy, don't pile rubbish or anything up against walls and to deter ants don't have soil or mulch right up to the house walls.

You can buy the pest spray stuff although it is expensive at $40 for a teneney weeney bottle, we buy one dilute it as per instructions and put it in a pump spray bottle, then every few weeks we just go around and give everywhere a quick spray.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Cheers Cal, that's really useful - and reassuring!! - to know. I'll be making sure we always have pest sprays etc on hand, whatever the cost, lol:yes:

Also Geoffrey thanks for those top tips - my youngest is forever leaving her footwear around the garden.... better start re-educating her now...:v_SPIN:

Heya Raych

We're aiming to be in Canberra sometime next Spring. And you're right - can't let a few hairy critters dictate where we wanna live!!!

How about you? Where are you headed? (and is that your little'un with you in your profile pic - she is pretty):v_SPIN:

Hiya, Britt my daughter is with her friend on my profile pic, she is the one at the front. Yes she is lovely, thank you for saying so. We are going to Brisbane, probably within the next few weeks, our 457 came through last month :jiggy: Have you been granted your visa yet?

Love,

Raych x

Hope this helps

Cal x

Bombs! I will be newking (have no idea how to spell that!) my house every chance I get!

Thanks Cal.

Love,

Raych x

Guest mikka711
Hiya, Britt my daughter is with her friend on my profile pic, she is the one at the front. Yes she is lovely, thank you for saying so. We are going to Brisbane, probably within the next few weeks, our 457 came through last month :jiggy: Have you been granted your visa yet?

Love,

Raych x

Ooh you must be really excited that you'll be in Oz so soon! We've not got the visa yet, going for our meds in a few days' time. Good luck in Brissy x:v_SPIN:

Guest claire&fred

Cockroaches were our biggest problem when we rented our last property. It was an older house and they used to pop up pretty much everywhere. Most mornings I would open the dishwasher and there would be one at the bottom all dead and clean. They always seemed to come out at night and there was always 2-3 of them. They were big buggers too but we just put down these funny little plastic things and it soon got rid of them.

Have only seen one Redback and that was in our new house we are renting, did not realise it was one until we had been here a few days. A big shoe finished that one!

Just another caution too. When your car is parked safely all locked up in your garage, make sure the windows are closed.

Claire

Never get complacent

What Geoffrey said................

Guest TADarwin

Hi Rachel,

glad it's not just me scared of spiddies. I looked on google images just last night at 'australia spiders' and OMG I think I'll die if I ever see one soooo big. U'd need a bucket to evict them!!! Tracy x

Hi Rachel,

glad it's not just me scared of spiddies. I looked on google images just last night at 'australia spiders' and OMG I think I'll die if I ever see one soooo big. U'd need a bucket to evict them!!! Tracy x

Hiya Tracy, someone on here posted a picture of a cane toad, have you seen them :shocked: OMG like small children!

Is Becky going on Saturday?

Love,

Raych x

Archived