Do you think houses are expensive in oz

lsbc1976

we have been looking on the web at houses in sa, we are in the bottom end of the market and even at the top of our budget the properties seem a bit of a let down.

Is it just me expecting to much, three bedrooms reasonable kitchen and bathroom, large lounge and a bit of garden.

am i looking in the wrong place?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Housing is still inflated here and some pundits think the prices are going to come down quite a bit - so waiting might be a good idea. You generally pay for the area you live in and that can be a bit of a quandary - nice house, grotty area or vice versa. I guess it all depends on your budget.

I've been monitoring the SA housing market for years (sad really!!) and I agree with you that houses there seem expensive, the worst I've ever known. The $ /£ exchange rate doesn't help, but apparently australian houses are way over priced because they haven't suffered a big drop like in other countries. Years ago you could get a similar house for the same price $s as £s (a £200,000 house cost only $200,000 ie half price).

What will happen next, who knows as one expert says one thing and the next says the total opposite. See No property plunge looming - experts | Property | News.com.au

However in SA it varies hugely between suburbs, which areas are you looking at? There are still some areas that seem cheap, but then I suppose it depends which part of the UK you are from as prices vary a huge amount here as well. Generally the further away you are from the city and the coast the cheaper it is.

LOL it's all about location. According to rightmove I could get a 5 bed solid brick bungalow with 2 bathrooms +loo + conservatory +lounge +dining+ fitted kitchen on half an acre in a village that I would quite like for what my grotty 3 bed weatherboard with tin roof +combined lounge/dining, one bathroom, kitchen in need of update on 1/4acre would fetch tomorrow in desirable inner city Canberra. And still have enough change to fly business class as well.

However, I do tend to think the price of Aus houses will be going down in the reasonably near future, they cant keep on going up at the rate they have been.

Guest flipflop
Um, that is a joke isnt it? Especially the better built bit

erm, well yes...must admit they are better built over here...they have to be though because of the battereing they get from the storms.

:biglaugh:

We found that the house prices were very simular to the midlands in the UK over here in melbourne and you do get a bit more house for the money. but you can pay a differnence of 200K for the same size house dependant on the area. Ive yet to work out however what makes an area better than the other, they all seem to merge into one here ???:err:

And im quite suprised that a lot of new builds are huge, but have a crappy bit of land for the back garden. I really was expecting it to be the other way around.

think when were ready to, we'll build our own. gonna get me a kit-house:cute:they look cool.

Guest flipflop

Buy a plot and build your own "wooden house" they last for hundreds of years these days and are so much better looking than bog-standard boring houses.

casa_de_lemn_ansonia.JPG

Guest sooveroz
we have been looking on the web at houses in sa, we are in the bottom end of the market and even at the top of our budget the properties seem a bit of a let down.

Is it just me expecting to much, three bedrooms reasonable kitchen and bathroom, large lounge and a bit of garden.

am i looking in the wrong place?

i would agree that you tend to get more house for your money as in you will usually get two reception rooms - although they will call it a formal lounge or media room here - the thing that shocked me most was the state of the houses - it was like being in a 50s timewarp!! the kitchens and bathrooms were just awful - even in some of the houses that were less than 10 years old! they must have used tiles that had been stockpiled since before i was born. pink bathroom suites, dark brown cookers/ovens, green plastic taps etc - WTFs that all about??!!

Guest LukeSkywalker

Property is relative everywhere.

I just purchased a 3 bed flat in the centre of Melbourne and it cost $620k. Its the equivalent location to Hyde Park, where for the same money I wouldn't get a rubbish bin. Over the ,ong run this will, I am sure, be a great investment.

The weird thing is I then travel 5km to Brighton to look for a house, and for $1.5m I am apparently being told a house that is small, no land and poorly built is a "bargain". Its very strange to me. Brighton is OK, but its just a suburn, no more, no less. At $1.5m I don';t understand where people get the money from. I am told $200k is a good salary - so a sensible mortgage is $600k MAXIMUM. Does everyone have $1m in equity? It seems to me that the same phenomenom as in the UK is being created. ie a "suburbs property bubble". Inflated prices for less than prime real estate. As always, when the bubble bursts (they dont deflate slowly) then the property in good areas will retain its value. Poor areas will drop most. Has happened in at least 3 cyclical property bubbles in the last 100 years (across the US/UK/Australia).

My gut feeling is that Australian prices may come down a little but not a lot overall. Some suburbs will be crucified, some will be relatively untouched. If the Australian govt wants record numbers of migrants ..... they will want housing of some sort.

BUT in the UK I think house prices will fall again in 2010 - maybe by another 20%.

Massive spending cuts, more unemployment, fewer people wanting to own etc. AND I suspect a lot of "productive" immigrants going home (the unproductive ones will of course remain and be given free housing).

Bottom line - IF you have a job and can stick living here the UK will be a good place to buy housing. With the bargains I have seen in Spain recently (repo places at 25% of their "value" from 2 years ago) you could end up with a place in the sun and a nice house quite cheaply. It just wont be in Australia!!

we had 3 bedroom semi 2 reception rooms tiny 3rd bedroom only 1 bathroom in the uk, for the same price here i have just brought 4 bedroom ensuite detatched with swimming pool, study, 3 living rooms, double garage, ducted vacuum,solar power, solar hot water.I am sure you can find the same in SA

Good luck

Sarah

Yes but its made of cardboard....:biglaugh:

(BTW didn't you vote against me?)

Guest flipflop
Property is relative everywhere.

I just purchased a 3 bed flat in the centre of Melbourne and it cost $620k. Its the equivalent location to Hyde Park, where for the same money I wouldn't get a rubbish bin. Over the ,ong run this will, I am sure, be a great investment.

The weird thing is I then travel 5km to Brighton to look for a house, and for $1.5m I am apparently being told a house that is small, no land and poorly built is a "bargain". Its very strange to me. Brighton is OK, but its just a suburn, no more, no less. At $1.5m I don';t understand where people get the money from. I am told $200k is a good salary - so a sensible mortgage is $600k MAXIMUM. Does everyone have $1m in equity? It seems to me that the same phenomenom as in the UK is being created. ie a "suburbs property bubble". Inflated prices for less than prime real estate. As always, when the bubble bursts (they dont deflate slowly) then the property in good areas will retain its value. Poor areas will drop most. Has happened in at least 3 cyclical property bubbles in the last 100 years (across the US/UK/Australia).

My gut feeling is that Australian prices may come down a little but not a lot overall. Some suburbs will be crucified, some will be relatively untouched. If the Australian govt wants record numbers of migrants ..... they will want housing of some sort.

BUT in the UK I think house prices will fall again in 2010 - maybe by another 20%.

Massive spending cuts, more unemployment, fewer people wanting to own etc. AND I suspect a lot of "productive" immigrants going home (the unproductive ones will of course remain and be given free housing).

Bottom line - IF you have a job and can stick living here the UK will be a good place to buy housing. With the bargains I have seen in Spain recently (repo places at 25% of their "value" from 2 years ago) you could end up with a place in the sun and a nice house quite cheaply. It just wont be in Australia!!

Hope so for you, but I think they have peaked in Oz and in my opinion will fall at least 20% over the next five years as they are doing in the UK, both Countries cannot sustain house prices going up anymore as the drivers of the market (first time buyers) cannot afford to get on the ladder.

Hope so for you, but I think they have peaked in Oz and in my opinion will fall at least 20% over the next five years as they are doing in the UK, both Countries cannot sustain house prices going up anymore as the drivers of the market (first time buyers) cannot afford to get on the ladder.

You have a point there, mate, in that first home buyers etc. But that has been the case for the past 20 years, or so and house prices have been steadily rising.

Would you sell for less??

With the steady growth of Australia, I can only see that the future is good and prices will rise, albeit at a slower rate for a few years.

Sydney and Melbourne prices are over the top and there was and still is, a move from these cities to Qld, and lower valuations. Seen a few times where a bloke would sell in, say Sydney,for $650,000 and buy in suburban Brissie for half that, same style house...Even in country areas we are still being asked if there is any land/house available. Many Vics are coming north during winter and asking what the house prices are, because there is a better and cheaper lifestyle.

Cheers, Bobj.

Many Vics are coming north during winter and asking what the house prices are, because there is a better and cheaper lifestyle.

Inlcuding my in-laws after the OH moved up here from Vic to get away from them! (oh well, at least their house has a pool, all the fun, none of the bother) :biglaugh:

Guest Toorak Trev

Chinese are rushing to get their money out before restrictions are imposed. You find many upper market properties here in Melbourne being sold and no one moving in. They just hire a security firm to keep watch having paid cash.

From 1 Jan the market is also poised too change with agents needing too provide evidence too support pricing ranges. This removes alot of excess atttendees from auctions with the immediate affect of reducing "market" pressure from auctions.

In any market if your buying buy good land (the best you can afford) big house, nice fittings are equivalent of fools gold. Also think and research areas don't just arrive off a plane and make a rash decision because you foolishly think rent is dead money - interest and repossessions anyone?

Guest The Pom Queen

And im quite suprised that a lot of new builds are huge, but have a crappy bit of land for the back garden. I really was expecting it to be the other way around.

Hi Kelly

Wait till summer then you will see why, at the minute the gardens are lovely and green in summer all the grass dies and it is just a dust bowl. Aussies just don't want the maintenance of the gardens especially with the water restrictions, we lost so many plants last year and that is even with us using recycled water:cry:

Guest sooveroz

LOL - what a laugh :biglaugh:- is this supposed to prove that australian housing is inexpensive. I doubt any of these properties would suit the average migrant - who wants to live in a caravan in the arse end of beyond? 98k for a shack in mount magnet - i wouldnt give you 98 cents for it! surely you meant this tongue in cheek?

the poster who mentioned perth - you'll get nothing in perth for under about 300k dollars (150k pounts equivalent) (exluding bedsit type units) unless you want bogans for neighbours and aboriginals destroying your property on a regular basis. even at 300k, you will be pushing it. perth is outrageous. although i do agree that the houses here are generally more solid - but the fixtures and fittings are sh*t.

LOL - what a laugh :biglaugh:- is this supposed to prove that australian housing is inexpensive. I doubt any of these properties would suit the average migrant - who wants to live in a caravan in the arse end of beyond? 98k for a shack in mount magnet - i wouldnt give you 98 cents for it! surely you meant this tongue in cheek?

the poster who mentioned perth - you'll get nothing in perth for under about 300k dollars (150k pounts equivalent) (exluding bedsit type units) unless you want bogans for neighbours and aboriginals destroying your property on a regular basis. even at 300k, you will be pushing it. perth is outrageous. although i do agree that the houses here are generally more solid - but the fixtures and fittings are sh*t.

G'day mate, if you read the original post that I referred to, you will see that it states quite plainly..." You show me a house for $160k in WA. No chance. $400k as a start point."

I merely pointed out that one could buy houses for that...and less.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived