Sign in to follow this  
Guest pauli77

Scared, excited and heading for Leongatha!!

Guest pauli77

Hi All,

Just had a job offer yesterday and a bit overwhelmed with it all. We will be moving in about 8 weeks time and we have chosen Leongatha or surrounding area to go to in Gippsland. Could anyone give us any hints or tips about the area.

Gippsland is a lovely area, great place to raise family, a bit of a drive from Melbourne (3 hours plus) but there are some great communities down there - not maybe what you know to be 'an English village' but close enough maybe..........good luck with it.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

I like Leongatha and the whole area, Foster is a lovely spot, Inverloch too and you will be close to Wilsons Prom. Its milk country dairy farming. Milk tankers on the small roads, watch out for them they speed.

Fish Creek, Beena, Mirboo, Mirboo North love it we get down there a lot.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest Melway

Hi I live in the area. Gippsland is great huge area lots of beautiful places. Leongatha is a nice little town and property is very cheap compared to Melbourne. If you want some acreage you can live outside of town in the lovely hills as a few acres isn't too expensive. If you like the sea Inverloch is only 25 mins away and is a a great spot, prices a bit more (as it's near the sea) but really lovely lots of young families moving down there as well now although it is still a popular retirement area too.It's a popular tourist resort too in the summer. I like Leo a lot but being a small country town it may feel a bit cliquey at first as you don't have lots of new people moving in whereas Inverloch has lots of Melbourne escapees and is growing quickly. Leo is less than 2 hours from Melbourne not 3 (about 1 3/4 I think) so you can get in to Melbourne for a day if you want. Living in the "country" in Aus is different than in the UK as you are further away from big population centres but if you can adapt its a fantastic lifestyle. I lived in Melbourne for 10 years on and off when I came over here but would never go back to the big smoke now, unless I am dragged kicking and screaming!

Hi I live in the area. Gippsland is great huge area lots of beautiful places. Leongatha is a nice little town and property is very cheap compared to Melbourne. If you want some acreage you can live outside of town in the lovely hills as a few acres isn't too expensive. If you like the sea Inverloch is only 25 mins away and is a a great spot, prices a bit more (as it's near the sea) but really lovely lots of young families moving down there as well now although it is still a popular retirement area too.It's a popular tourist resort too in the summer. I like Leo a lot but being a small country town it may feel a bit cliquey at first as you don't have lots of new people moving in whereas Inverloch has lots of Melbourne escapees and is growing quickly. Leo is less than 2 hours from Melbourne not 3 (about 1 3/4 I think) so you can get in to Melbourne for a day if you want. Living in the "country" in Aus is different than in the UK as you are further away from big population centres but if you can adapt its a fantastic lifestyle. I lived in Melbourne for 10 years on and off when I came over here but would never go back to the big smoke now, unless I am dragged kicking and screaming!

Yes you're right Melway, my apologies, I do that drive to Paynesville so often to seem my brother that I have 3hrs plus on the brain now!

Cheers Olly

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest pauli77

Thanks Petal you always have something lovely to say I appreciate it.

Guest pauli77

Thanks Melway.

It is lovely to hear from someone who lives there. I had been rethinking Leon, just because we already live on the coast here and I think I would really miss it so Inverloch I think will be the place. Thanks for your info. You don't know if there are any local kennels and what they are like do you??

Wonthaggi and Cape Patterson are not far away either and Wonthaggi is a town and not far from Inverloch. Inverloch does not have much of a shopping centre and its a holiday place and I think the property is a little overpriced in Inverloch for a permanent place to live. Wonthaggi is not far away and bigger and closer to Phillip Island you could drive up to Cranbourne to shop, Korumburra. I like the drive over to Warrigal from there its lovely going over the hills to Drouin and Warrigall.

Poowong is a little town I love, its way up on top of the hills, and my daughter's friend's Dad lives on a farm there.

My friend's family live in Foster and have a large beef farm at Waratah Bay.

Wonderful area especially if you like fishing.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest Melway

Yes, Inverloch is quite pricey compared to Wonthaggi or Leongatha as know all to well. We rent in Inv and were going to buy in Wonthaggi as it is so much cheaper -- but being able to walk to the beach won out so now we are building in Inverloch. You do have to drive to Wonthaggi for most things (though we do have a supermarket here) but most people work in Leongatha or Wonthaggi so it's not a problem. Cape Paterson is a fantastic spot too but a bit of a drive from Leongatha if you're working there and property is now similarly priced to Inverloch. Inverloch actually has a lot of permanent residents moving in - the kinder and school is overflowing with all the new familys moving into the area. As for kennels, I believe there are some on the Inverloch-Leongatha roadnot exactly sure where.

Guest pauli77

Thanks Melway. We are getting excited even though we haven't got our visas yet!! Like you we think we want to be in Inverloch as we live by the sea and I don't think I can bear to be too far away from it. Have been driving myself mad looking at rentals, although our first month will be arranged for us so at least we will have some time when we are there to find what we really want.