Sign in to follow this  
Guest chuchu

Brit with Aussie partner

Guest chuchu

Hello everyone!

Love reading this forum...it's like therapy when I'm getting a bit nervous about our pending move!

I'm English and my boyfirend is Aussie, from Melbourne. He has been here for 3 years (stayed for me!) and not surprisingly is dying to go back. As his visa runs out in June, we are both going to head out there when I finish this school year (im a primary school teacher).

I know lots of people on here are moving to Oz with English partners, but just wondered if anyone was in my position and wanted to share their thoughts/worries/excitement!!!

I'm really excited and know I will love it, but I am worried about my mum who is unable to even discuss the topic. I know she doesn't want to stop me going, but it does make it hard!

Thanks in advance, would love to hear your stories

Chuchu x

Guest tinbasher

Hi Chuchu

How should we pronounce that? Like 'choo choo' as in Thomas the Tank Engine? Can't help you with the partner bit as we are both British. You will love it over here, no more lesson plans, just unit plans, plus no OFSTED!

My mum had a similar viewpoint but she is Ok now as she has seen how happy we are and how well our daughter has settled. I have heard of other parents that go the opposite way though, so I hope your mum does come around. It will be hard at times but you've got your whole life in front of you so grab what you can when you can, that's what I say. Although not a good attitude when there's English chocolate to be had, yum, yum.

All the best

Mrs TinB :)

Guest koala12

Hi Chuchu

I'm in similar position to you as my husband is Australian (well born in UK but moved to Oz when only 2 so holds PR and considers himself an Aussie!). Apart from the 5 years he spent with me in UK he has always lived in Oz since then and was also wanting to go back. As I'd been out here a couple of times on holidays and really loved it we made the decision to move here last year and it was very hard as one of my daughter's wanted to stay in UK and also I have my parents there still. I was fortunate in that my parents were very supportive and said that they felt I would have a better life here and also that life is short and you have to go for things and not get old and have regrets! It's not an easy decision to make and apart from the fact that I miss my parents and daughter terribly I love it here and have no regrets about coming here so far!

Good luck to you and your boyfriend....

Guest chuchu

Thank you both so much...it really does mean loads to hear your words of support.

Your both right...you have to grab life with both hands, and as the saying goes, its better to regret things that youve done, rather than regret not doing them at all!

Am sure it will be an amazing move for us both and hopefully when my mum sees that we can afford a lovely little bungalow with garden in a Melbourne suburb as apposed to a crappy terrace in chavsville, she'll be happy for me!!

Thanks again x

ps yes, chuchu as in choo choo. Dont ask!!!

Guest asylon

Hi Chuchu,

I'm in the same boat as you. My husband is an Aussie, he just told me to say" and an absolute hunk"...if it keeps him happy... Yes , so, he came over here 1n 1999, met me in 2000 and we got married, bought houses and had 2 kids, and now we are going out there. Once I actually told my Mum/Dad it felt much better, they can absolutely see why we are going but I think they are just trying not to burden me with how gutted they are at loosing their grandchildren. The way I'm trying to see it is we will actually see more of them, we live at opposite ends of the M4 and they don't like the drive. At least if, and its a big if, they come out to Oz they can stay for ages, in comfort, as we will have a big enough house (and we will have babysitters so we can go diving!). I'm in the process of getting them a computer and teaching them to use the internet to make communications easier.

I think its a bit different for those of us with Aussie partners, the move would probably not be something we would be considering had we not met them. But we've got the opportunity and its a shame not to give it your best shot.After all, we can always come back and whatever happens it will be an adventure. I'm extremely excited and scared to death at the same time, still not sure if its the right thing to do, its a very strange situation to be in.

I've spent quite a bit of time out there and love it, but can also see some very valid negatives, we've just got to give it a try. Life is too short not to seize every opportunity.

So you're not on your own.

Good luck and hows the visa going?

Had my chest X ray today so not long now.

His family are in Sydney/Canberra so we are going to Queensland.

A

Guest chuchu

Hey Asylon!

It's so comforting knowing that that there are other people in my shoes...you can feel like the only person in the world with this weight on their shoulders!

I have thought exactly the same thing about my parents with regards the whole 'quality time' issue...I am living in South Manchester at the mo and they live in Leeds, not a million miles away, but when we do get chance to visit, it's usually spent in front of the telly due to crappy weather/lack of things to do! Hopefully like your parents, they could come over for about 3 weeks and have the time of their lives...I know my dad would just love it and they would both love the real outdoorsy approach to life.

Youre absolutley right, we have to give it a go and give it our best shot-we owe that to our fellas! You are doing the total right thing by your children-I work as a teacher and it actually depresses me the opportunities and outlook for Britain's youngsters...Oz isn't perfect, but the quality of life is undeniably better for yourselves and your kids.

I've had my chest xrays and got my visa so its all systems go! Cam is going end of July and I will follow end of August (niece's christening to stay for). His parents are so excited about us going and they are so lovely that i know they will make things as easy for me as possible. They are based in Melbourne, so that's where we will both be in September. Can't believe its so close to be honest!

When are you both going?

Guest asylon

Hi again,

Not sure, think we will have my visa by the end of next month and the house is on the market, so probably around August/Sept. I'm trying to think of it as a very long holiday as I won't be working (Hurray!!!!!!) Stay in touch and tell us all how you get on.

A