Nursing issues and visas

Guest happychick

Guest happychick

hi, im new to this site. im due to qualify from nurse training in january 2010, single parent and (bravely/stupidly?) thinking of living in Perth. (and working in rockingham hospital?). I would like any advice such as- do i apply for a job in Oz THEN start ball rolling with visas etc or apply for visas first? dont want to spend cash to find out i cant go/not wanted etc. Also heard that have to work full time for year-what about fitting hours around child? dont have family out there, just a pal but she has own family and job etc. (thinking of probs if have to work nights). have to decide soon as not getting any younger!! lol :laugh:

Hi

You are a year behind us. You can either get a grad snurse place where effectively you are a junior nurse and have to study again or wait a year during which you have to work full time and then apply. You can apply for your ANMC after 3 months of working FT and then you are able to apply for state sponsorship BUT you can not apply for the visa until you have completed the years experience.

Hope that helps

JOHN

Guest happychick

Thanks so much for answering-how prompt.

i know of a nurse who is doing the gnp in adelaide, she got a job offer when she was still a student in uk then went across after house sold but she hadnt done a year of training in uk.

so many rumours go round that its hard to know what to do for the best.

need to know this is the VERY best option for child and me. will not have anyone really to support us (but dont have THAT much help in Uk either!). have to put house up for sale as soon as decide then there is NO GOING BACK as will be homeless, hey no pressure then! lol.

:jiggy:

To be honest at the moment in WA you may strugle to get offerred a grad place as they're struggling this year to find jobs for those finishing the courses here in Aus and as a result applicants from overseas may struggle to get offered places. If you come on a temp sponsored visa (457) then you will have to work full time. There's a bit of a slump in job offers at the moment here in WA, posts are being put on hold because of cut back, posts not being backfilled when people going on leave etc. Personally, I would wait until you qualify and then start applying for jobs.

Welcome happychick!!

To be honest at the moment in WA you may strugle to get offerred a grad place as they're struggling this year to find jobs for those finishing the courses here in Aus and as a result applicants from overseas may struggle to get offered places. If you come on a temp sponsored visa (457) then you will have to work full time.

There's a bit of a slump in job offers at the moment here in WA, posts are being put on hold because of cut back, posts not being backfilled when people going on leave etc. Personally, I would wait until you qualify and then start applying for jobs.

This is very useful info.

I wondered if this also applies to Occupational Therapist posts too?

Not sure about OT posts, but certainly nursing posts where I work (and within south metro for perth) have been put on hold. Also heard that 20 + HCN jobs have gone don't know if the number is correct (2nd hand info) but certainly people have lost jobs. I've really struggled to get contracts extended to cover posts at the moment. The decisions are coming down from on high. Having said that, I'm really confident that things will pick up.

Archived