So who HAS returned to the UK & been happy?

ezzie

Hmm, don't know about anyone else but we had a big surprise when we returned for our 'tester' holiday back in the UK.

We went into Tesco's to compare prices with our local (expensive) Coles and to our surprise (and horror), we found that most items were twice as expensive in Australia than in England. Now I grant you that the Dollar is extremely strong against the pound, but even so, its lot cheaper for staples in England. Even Australian wine (not a bad bottle) was only 5.65GBP (so about the same). Mince beef was 2 pounds a kilo (compared with 8 dollars a kilo + here).

Baby formula (for a 900g tin) was 8 pounds versus $25!

It was a shock. With house prices rising fast (still!) here in Brisbane, power bills comparable (check the statistics...), its looking good. Then again I found out that people have just excepted losing almost all of their super in the UK... and water and services cost more. That is where things even out.

Its eye opening, but for us the decision is made - we are returning to the UK...

I agree. The UK IS really cheap at the moment. It seemed to get expensive a couple of years ago, but now there must be so much consumer competition that prices are really good in the shops.

We've just been on holiday and visited a lot of european countries, and I can honestly say that we think the UK is very reasonably priced. We checked TV prices in Germany out of interest and they were almost double the price of here. Clothes were expensive in Turkey and not very stylish for the price either.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bowbrummer
I agree. The UK IS really cheap at the moment. It seemed to get expensive a couple of years ago, but now there must be so much consumer competition that prices are really good in the shops.

We've just been on holiday and visited a lot of european countries, and I can honestly say that we think the UK is very reasonably priced. We checked TV prices in Germany out of interest and they were almost double the price of here. Clothes were expensive in Turkey and not very stylish for the price either.

You cant beat their towels though:biglaugh:

It was till they built all the motorways around it. It's so damned quiet now whereas it used to be busy and thriving. I couldn't believe it's now got speed bumps up the middle of the main road!!!!

Insurance claims - all over the midlands and now the north west - water ortons a nice place !

Guest WA WA WARRGH

Hi all,

newbie here. I've been reading this thread with great interest and would like to say that you all offer good advice. I have been wrestling with moving back for various reasons but will ultimately remain here for citizenship and that should be a good indication whether to remain here or not permanently.

It has been refreshing to read advice where no one has sniped at each other (as far as I have read) for their choice to remain in Oz or return to the UK unlike a certain other forum.

Hi all,

newbie here. I've been reading this thread with great interest and would like to say that you all offer good advice. I have been wrestling with moving back for various reasons but will ultimately remain here for citizenship and that should be a good indication whether to remain here or not permanently.

It has been refreshing to read advice where no one has sniped at each other (as far as I have read) for their choice to remain in Oz or return to the UK unlike a certain other forum.

I totally agree with that idea. One other theme very present on this forum is ping ponging back and forth. If you leave without getting citizenship you are potentially closing the door to Australia. As well as the fact getting citizenship is a painful and lengthy process you don't want to repeat! You may find that you like it here after all, but it most certainly gives you more options.

We are returning to the UK, but it may well be that we will ultimately end up here for our retirement. The weather can't really be beaten and the lifestyle is good. For us family is more important at the moment, and we miss the culture of Europe.

It's good to know there are other people in exactly the same situation and with the same feelings as you. Its certainly helped us pluck up the courage to move...

It's the thought of retirement in OZ which leaves me in a black state of depression...I mean...what IS there to do here?

We have permanent residency and returning back to uk,and i will visit oz yearly as my parents live here and who knows i might retire in oz

It's the thought of retirement in OZ which leaves me in a black state of depression...I mean...what IS there to do here?

FFS???

What the??

Oh, all right; there's bowls, the RSL, bbq's, retirement villages, golf, bowls, bushwalks (during the 8 months of the year when it's not too hot), going to a movie, bowls, fishing, buying a campervan and driving around the back of beyond with the other grey nomads, bowls....um, what have I forgot?

FFS???

What the??

I'm back in the UK. I really struggled in Australia, was there 8 months and just didn't settle. Time was so slow for me I wasn't stimulated and definately wasn't happy.

Been home for nearly a year (gosh, can't believe it's already been a year). I'm happy here and so are my kids. The weather this summer admittedly was rubbish but we kept busy anyway. I'm happy to be home with friends and family around.

Good luck to all of you with your decision making.

what were you looking for out there an did any one find it ,you went for a reason.Theres nothing to do here but i think i would like sitting in the sun doing nothing than looking out the window at the rain

what were you looking for out there an did any one find it ,you went for a reason.Theres nothing to do here but i think i would like sitting in the sun doing nothing than looking out the window at the rain

Thats the point, there is so much more to do in UK with or without good weather. You have no idea how enervating it is in the summer - a reliance on aircon is not good for you either.

I never came here for the weather - the reason was a good job opportunity and now we are retired that is irrelevant and I am stuck here for other reasons, mainly the DH who is an Aussie. I dont know that I would ever move anywhere because of the weather, that really does seem a very silly reason to move away especially if things are going well where you are.

Anyone would think UK was Siberia incarnate the way people go on and on about the weather. It isnt cold, the rain makes things a brilliant lush green which you wont see in Australia and neither will you be reduced to 3 minute showers. The sun does shine - April this year and July last year (the last couple of visits I made) were lovely for the most part and the days that it did rain were, for me having been in a 7 year drought, pure bliss.

weather not the reason for the move but it helps. just saying others said there was nothing to do out there,more out door person myself

Oh, all right; there's bowls, the RSL, bbq's, retirement villages, golf, bowls, bushwalks (during the 8 months of the year when it's not too hot), going to a movie, bowls, fishing, buying a campervan and driving around the back of beyond with the other grey nomads, bowls....um, what have I forgot?

Yep, that put me in a black depression and I am Aussie born. With the exception of going to the movies I have no inclination to do any of those things. I hate the fact that much of the year it is too bloody hot, and that it is often too dry to keep a garden alive. In fact the whole thread has me wanting to go to the UK, and I have never even been.

But as an ignorant Aussie what exactly are the exciting things that you get to do in the UK that we are obviously missing out on doing here?

Is there a corresponding website for Aussies who want to go to the UK?

I went to Oz in '73 and came back to the UK in '05

Not saying it's perfect here, but then, is it in Oz?

The major frustration is that you see Migrants from Europe ahead of you in the queue for everything. When we came back, I had to pay a 6 months bond plus 2 months rent in advance just to get somewhere to live. This in spite of a letter from our UK Bank Manager and the fact that my sister worked for the agency at the time. Also, I have an Hons degree in Vocational Education, but I can't get a UK Uni or employer to accept it - instead they have offered me a 60% of a degree in education, but I can't teach.

Lifestyle is not really not much different, petrol is twice the price in UK but Insurance and Road Tax (Registration) is a lot less so it pans out. Except in the most depressed areas in the north, you are unlikely to get a terraced 2 bedroom house for under £100k. Mortgages are getting better, and the base interest rate is a lot lower than in Oz.

All in all, we're happy that we came back, and we are definately not pining for Barossa, Adelaide or Cairns where we most recently were.

In the end, you have to go where your heart tells you - I have too many friends who want to return to UK, never have, but are not really happy.

Guest shanklin

Hi, my family and I have just returned back to the UK and are finding it very hard to settle back in. It is so hard when you emmigrate because you open up a can of worms as you never belong in either country. We dont know whether to go back but because finding jobs is so hard and the house prices are up we are scared we will put ourselves back financially yet again. Four years after our move to Oz we still dont own a home and have to penny pinch all the time. Does anyone have any advice?

Guest flipflop

I was born in Perth Oz in 1974 and came to the UK London in 2005, I must admit I prefer the UK to Oz for many reasons I will outline in the future if asked, wife who is English wants to go back to oz.

Hi, my family and I have just returned back to the UK and are finding it very hard to settle back in. It is so hard when you emmigrate because you open up a can of worms as you never belong in either country. We dont know whether to go back but because finding jobs is so hard and the house prices are up we are scared we will put ourselves back financially yet again. Four years after our move to Oz we still dont own a home and have to penny pinch all the time. Does anyone have any advice?

Stay were you are and get on with it. I'm not being rude but it's the only way forward. Been back 18 monthes nearly and just feel that we are getting over the hangover. It was tough in Aus and tough back home too. But being home what you know and who you know will get you through it, but you just have to work at it you.

Good luck John

Guest jackie Macdonald

I feel for you both. Yes it is true, you do open up a can of worms when you emigrate but you CAN get back that sense of belonging and sort yourselves out if that is what you truly want. However, the only way you will do this is to move forward and keep thinking positively. You will always wonder how your life may have panned out had you stayed but somewhere along the line you have made that decision to return for whatever reason so don't lose sight of that. Bear that in mind and stay focused!! it is all too easy to blame the UK for your problems right now when it is more than likely down to your circumstances. Please don't give up just yet. Having ping ponged myself only to come back home again a lot poorer but with no intention of every going back again, I have spent an awful lot of money in the process!!

Follow your heart. In this current climate it will be difficult whichever place you choose to live.

My thoughts are with you and i wish you all the best.

Jackie XXX

I feel for you both. Yes it is true, you do open up a can of worms when you emigrate but you CAN get back that sense of belonging and sort yourselves out if that is what you truly want. However, the only way you will do this is to move forward and keep thinking positively. You will always wonder how your life may have panned out had you stayed but somewhere along the line you have made that decision to return for whatever reason so don't lose sight of that. Bear that in mind and stay focused!! it is all too easy to blame the UK for your problems right now when it is more than likely down to your circumstances. Please don't give up just yet. Having ping ponged myself only to come back home again a lot poorer but with no intention of every going back again, I have spent an awful lot of money in the process!!

Follow your heart. In this current climate it will be difficult whichever place you choose to live.

My thoughts are with you and i wish you all the best.

Jackie XXX

You can't be doing to bad Jackie (living in Epping). Happy that you have settled but it is hard getting back in the swing. We are also alot poorer but least feel that I can make that money back given time.

John

Archived