Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HELP!

lindsayloo

Hi Poms

Im really hoping this post will stand out to anyone who has had IVF treatment in Australia as I really need some advice.

Me and my partner have been her for 2.5years, we have a sponsored 457 visa valid for 4 years from next month (just transferred as partner starting a new job) and have recently found out that in order to conceive, our only chance is to have IVF (ICSI). We were initially advised that to do this it will cost us $12,000 and that Medicare do not cover any of this. However after speaking with a Patient Liason Advisor today at Melbourne IVF she advised that there have been quite a few couples over time in our situation and gave me some 'item numbers' to quote to Medicare so they could tally them up with the system with our details to see if we would be able to claim any cash back through Medicare. At first the lady at Medicare was adament that we wouldnt be able to but when I pushed and asked her to check the item numbers I was given by MIVF she said they were all covered....:jiggy:She actually seemed as surprised as I was! But obviously couldnt deny what was in front of her.

Im hoping to hear from anyone who is also here on a temporary basis and has gone through IVF that can give us some information on your own experience? Im extreeeeeeeeeeemley happy if we do get help because let me tell you $12,000 is a massive financial burden especially with the success rates being 30-40% per cycle. Im hoping and praying that what I have been told today is correct but I cant find any information anywhere about it (I personally think they are trying to keep it under wraps and not advertising the fact which is fair enough really...)

Anyway look forward to hearing from anyone soon, im not sure where is best to post this so apologies if you see it popping up all over the place!

Thankyou

Lindsay X :hug:

PS our Medicare card is the reciprocal agreement with 'Visitor' stamped at the bottom...

Hi Lindsay,

sorry cant help with your question but we are going through icsi/ ivf as permanent residents in SA, so feel your worries! We have had a fantastic service through Medicare and even without any rebate it would be cheaper than the uk for us! It would be awful having just found out that you need it to then have to wait for years so I hope you can work something out. If youre anything like us it probably never crossed your minds that there'd be a problem :( We do think of the ones who can't afford this all :(

Good luck

Gill x

Hi Lindsay,

sorry cant help with your question but we are going through icsi/ ivf as permanent residents in SA, so feel your worries! We have had a fantastic service through Medicare and even without any rebate it would be cheaper than the uk for us! It would be awful having just found out that you need it to then have to wait for years so I hope you can work something out. If youre anything like us it probably never crossed your minds that there'd be a problem :( We do think of the ones who can't afford this all :(

Good luck

Gill x

This thread was started in 2009 and the OP had a 7 month old baby when she last posted - a year ago.

So we can assume that she was either successful with IVF - or didn't need it after all..

Archived