Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thelostsurfer

Defacto (Subclass 309) HELP!!?

Guest Thelostsurfer

Hi all

I'm new to this discussion board, and was hoping someone would be able to help me. Me and my partner are going to apply for the Spousal Visa (Offshore) but I am just getting terrified of our chances!!

Long story short, we have been together for 4 years, we are both 20 years old, and have lived together for over 2 and half of those 4 years. We came to Australia together on holidays in the past. However, we were only paying rent to stay with her parents for the first year and a half, so we have no utility bills etc, then when we came to Australia (Her on a WHV me as a resident) the roles were reversed, IE she lived with my parents, again we paid rent but have no utility bills. From my time living with her, I have my bank account statements for the whole time we lived together, and from her time here we have all of her bank account statements etc. We have a huge collection of pictures (including ones that are copyrighted by the company who took them from 2006), emails etc, and we also have plenty of people (Including quite a few Australian Citizens) who are more than happy to vouch that they know we have a strong relationship, have been together for 4 years and so on. She moved back to the UK in March as her WHV had ran out and money was too tight to apply then - Then it hit the fan, she couldn't find work for 2 months, then it was only part time, then full time (at last) and then she had family difficulties... Now that's all over and we are both ready to apply, I am in full time work and am able to sponsor her and take care of her. We have been in constant contact over this time and are able to prove it. But I'm starting to become worried that we may not get this Visa... I mean we have been together longer than a lot of people who apply and seem to get it granted, but the lack of financial commitment is causing me some concern, I have been told that due to our age we should be granted the Temporary, but of course will have to work our behinds off to get the full Permanent... Whoa, not such a short story after all... Basically, I just want to know if we are being realistic in applying for this Visa? We love each other very much, and suffice to say a man with a rubber stamp will not stop us from being together, but we no longer want to live in the UK as we were very happy here and want to build a life for ourselves... Am I being over the top being this worried (Literally sick to the stomach every single day kind of worried) or should we just give up on the Australia dream....? Thanks for taking your time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Guest Livvy

Hello Thelostsurfer,

First of all, I would say try to stop worrying so much about it. Remember, these rules are in place to weed out any false applications, and yours is clearly genuine, so I'm sure you will not have a problem.

I know it's easy for me to say, being on the other side of the fence, but I had the same reservations, as myself and my OH didn't have much evidence of financial commitment.

One of the things we used was our joint travel insurance, do you have that by any chance? Or travel bookings? And what about any money you may have transferred to one another which would show up on your bank statements?

As many stat decs as you can get from people will certainly help your case, and your relationship statements are an opportunity for you to explain your previous living arrangements, i.e that it was with your respective parents. Any post at all which is addressed to both of you will help I'm sure.

I'm probably not the best person to advise, because I only have my own experience to draw on, but I'm sure there will be many people on here who can offer you some pointers.

It is my understanding that once you have the temporary visa, you get granted the permanent one in two years, provided you are still together, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

I think the general rule of thumb is to send as much supporting info as you can and remember that you are genuinely eligible to apply for this visa; you haven't done anything wrong so there's every chance it will be approved. I have been through the exact same thing, I'm English and OH is aussie. It's a daunting process but it's worth it in the end, and I'm sure you guys will get through it!

Good luck!

Guest Thelostsurfer

Hi there Livvy

Thanks for the quick reply, I do appreciate any information, and just being told not to worry too much had made me happier :) I'm afraid we didn't get the insurance together, and she came after me as I came to Australia with the family, she came 15 days later, and she went home 10 days before me! Work was a big struggle in the past for us so we never even exchanged money into each others accounts.... I suppose the chance is getting worse... We have always just spent our money out of our accounts together, we never really needed to transfer funds, as I have stated we are still young so hopefully that will work in our favor... There's so many things I get confused by on the application too, I mean I know I've got to do 47sp and 40sp, but are there any others? And the whole medical is pretty daunting, I'm not even sure how much it's going to cost us, though we're more than capable of paying. What was your experience with that sort of thing like and how long were you waiting to have the visa granted (assuming you did get it of course) Once again thanks for helping, its very much appreciated

Guest Thelostsurfer

P.S by the cost I was referring to the medical cost :)

Guest inaroundroom

Whilst my partner and I live together we do not pay any utiities so our own evidence of living together in the same house as such was our corresponding bank/credit card statements.

In our written statements we both highlighted & explained our circumstance and the visa was approved.

Not all relationships are the same and I believe that DIAC understand this.

All the best.

I have just booked my medical and x ray and it comes to £180 for both so not too much of a bank break. My partner and I also live together but dont have joint accounts as we just share, never needed to worry about it, I read somewhere on here about having bank statements from each of you showing you both contribute, so for example we share the shopping bills so we can both proove we contribute, all the bills are in my name as my partner came from oz to be with me here....hopefully it will all be ok....we have loads of pics and travel stuff etc. Good luck

Guest Thelostsurfer

hey guys thanks so much for all of your stories, its helped me feel a lot more optimistic about it all =) Well last night I was able to dig up all of our banking details, we have all of my personal and her personal bank statements all in the same time frame during her stay in australia, plus I have found a few statements of us opening a joing bank account - Along with that, I have found all of my bank statements from the UK, all from August 2006 - March 2008 and she has hers too, I have my Voting card also, plus letters from work throughout the years we lived together amongst other things. She dug through her bits and pieces, managing to find cards from her family to both of us for christmases from every year, all of our letters, memories etc So now I think it's looking good. Jenny I have to send her the application forms, I know she'll have to do 40sp, but what other forms will we have to do?? I need to know which ones to print off, like the medical one, and also the family decleration ones, any pointers with that?? Its all so confusing. How long from her having her medical will we have it back and be able to send it off? She's phoning Friday morning to book it all in, so fingers crossed end of Sept/early Oct we can send it all off!! Got to do the Police checks also!! It's all so chaotic isn't it, but it'll be worth it in the end... Once again thanks for all of your useful information :)

If you go to Department of Immigration & Citizenship and use the find a visa section it will give you all the forms you need for the defacto. I booked my meds in for the beginning of Sep with the application due to be submitted at the beginning of October. Appointments where I am were really easy to get. You can also find the list of approved medical places on the website. Police check I believe takes about 10 days to come back. Just check everything you need to send for everything as almost everyone wants passport photos etc. Just one thing on the meds and police checks they are vaild for a year once they are completed so bare that in mind if you plan on delaying the application for any reason. I have a few useful documents that I have downloaded whilst doing my home work so PM me if you are interested and I can email them too you. Its fun and stressful! The one thing I have had to learn to do is calm down....as my partner says....we have the evidence cause its true!!! Where are you heading in oz?

Guest Thelostsurfer

I was literally just about to write, that one of our problems is that we have been apart from eachother (Only physically) for about 5 months, not due to our choice, but because of personal family issues plus the employment aspect of her being in England during a bloody recession! I have all our emails saved and we have called eachother (thought I only have a handful of phonecards) and I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to print the emails off of the internet with everything showing Ie the whole email! :arghh: I'm thinking I can just paste them into Microsoft word with all the dates showing...? It's so frustrating!!!! I'm actually on the Gold Coast at the moment, I'm actually English but am a Permanent Resident (almost citizen), how about yourself? I would PM you but this forum is pretty annoying to use and it won't let me do anything apart from post - perhaps you could try to PM me? :eek: I have everything I need I think (evidence wise) but its just proving the distance thing the last couple of months, and its almost guranteed they'll nail me for it, it's usually my luck!! Thanks for that info, I've just started checking it out! Hope your's is going well also! It is by the sound of things =)

Guest LahLay

Hey,

I am in a similar situation... I lost my job in Aus due to the recession after 4 years of living in Sydney, and as a British citizen I lost my 457 (working visa). I had to come back to UK... but have an Aussie boyfriend of 3 years who I left behind as he had a job, our flat and our car to look after. Luckily we'd started pulling docs together before I left in case I couldn't get another job (which I didn't). So I've been in the UK for 4 months now, and have proof that we talk every day by phone, and have shared emails and text everyday. The thing is the lease was in my boyf's name and I put the bills in my name. We had separate bank accounts too and rarely transferred funds to each other... It has taken this long to pull all the docs together. Nightmare.

I had my medicals done yesterday - cost £180. And received my police check through yesterday too... took 3 weeks coz of postal strikes, so be warned to do this sooner rather than later. I was hoping to put in application this week, but noticed that the stat dec providers need to certify copies of their passports, so am waiting for boyf to post these from Aus... and did get upset with him today when he said he'd been too busy to post them... I guess another week in 4 months won't make too much difference. Problem is, I've got a potential job interview in Sydney, but I just can't promise them when I'm going to be available... and also have a friend's wedding on Oct 3rd, and don't think I'll make it back in time... sniff...

Good luck lostsurfer... as they say in Oz... you'll be right mate!

Guest Thelostsurfer

Hi LahLay

I'm sorry to hear about the stress you've been through, and believe me I know exactly what it's like!! I've found all of my evidence, and we have plenty of it, I have statements dating back to August 2006 (our first residential address together) so that's a weight off my shoulders, however nows the big one! We have no real proof of contact in the past couple of months, We speak mainly on Skype and Msn and neither of us were wise enough to save the history - and I have a glitch in my emails meaning I am unable to print them off directly from the screen - Do you think putting ALL of my emails (and there are alot) onto Microsoft word and printing them off that way? Would that be acceptable, we only recently used the phone to speak properly (beginning of August cause it was more practable to use when talking about the visa - less static etc). I am literally sick to the stomach right now because I have no way to remedy this whatsoever, and now I'm thinking this will outbalance the whole relationship!! I have a lot of evidence due to the last months phone bill, but is that really going to be enough :( I really do think we're going to fail because of this... Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! thanks