PIOers Attitude to Temp Visas?

Guest Impatient

Guest Impatient

Just wondered what your views are about 475-type visas that guarantee you nothing in the long term.

My plans are going haywire somewhat (don't they always?) and without waiting for a change in DIAC and other agencies' attitudes, the only way we might have of getting in in the next couple of years is using a 475.

My concerns are mainly about moving the family and being beholden to a company and having no PR to show for it. Quite a big risk when you are not the master of your own destiny.

Welcome your general thoughts.

Given the choice then I would always chose a visa that allowed me to stay indefinatley, as you say your life is in your own hands, however, if a temp visa was my only option then I would have taken it. My brother-in-law would love to come and live here, and if he decides to do that then a sponsorship would be his only option (although i don't know if we could sponsor him now? .. don't know enough about visa's). I'm guessing, but bar one or two horror stories, I think most of the UK migrants who come on temp visa's end up staying here one PR .. ... so I'd go for it.

Just wondered what your views are about 475-type visas that guarantee you nothing in the long term.

My plans are going haywire somewhat (don't they always?) and without waiting for a change in DIAC and other agencies' attitudes, the only way we might have of getting in in the next couple of years is using a 475.

My concerns are mainly about moving the family and being beholden to a company and having no PR to show for it. Quite a big risk when you are not the master of your own destiny.

Welcome your general thoughts.

Hi we came on a 457 buisness visa with queensland health I have been with them a yr (Qeensland health stipulate employed with them for 1 yr)and just applied for sponsored permannet visa this i did in may and still not received my new number not keen to get medicals done till i hear from DIAC my support worker who follows up visa application tells me they have received my application but approx 10 - 15 weeks delay so what i dont understand my friend works for the private hospital been here less than 6 mths and has applied and got PR tell you one rule for one one for the other. but again if i hadnt come on a 457 i would have been to old:arghh: to apply for PR in my own right

Guest JoanneHattersley

I came out on a 457. Within 4 months my sponsorship was taken over by teh nursing home I was placed in originally rather than teh agency I had come over with!

After 18 months I got PR with no hassles. Everything fell into place for me. I had a great employer whom I am still with! Arrived 9/2/05

Coming straight away with PR is better but 457 visas can work. I am proof of that!!!

Guest guest17301

457- a means to an end. The feeling of insecurity is not nice especially when you have your whole family counting on you..a pain being beholden to the one employer....especially not good when you havechildren, no childcare rebates etc...

On the other hand...at least it gets you into the country...the only way for many....be sure you have a relatively unshakeable plan for PR though especially if you have a lot to lose.

Guest inaroundroom

I work in IT and have been starting to apply for jobs before arriving in AU in October and I do see a fair few jobs where it states that the prospective employee must have PR/citizenship otherwise they will not be considered.

So on that basis alone it has made me feel that my temp visa puts me on a lesser footing straight away.

As my partner is Aussie I'm hoping she will gain us some brownie points when signing up for rental and or mortgage agreements.

I go over to Oz on a 457 in 19 days time (And counting) Its giving me and my family access to Oz without having to wait and we are going at the time that is right for us. We hate waiting around, so its been perfect for us. I have it in writing that my employer will support PR after 12 month.

Lets see how it goes!

Guest JoanneHattersley

The main issues that people have with 457 is that you are tied to your employer plus you have to work full time. If you dont like your employer or worse still they fire you.....you need someone else to take over and sponsor you!

Guest inaroundroom

My comment was a general statement on temp visa's and not specific to 475.

JoanneHattersley,

Great point about being tied to an employer, one of my Aussie friends in the UK was sponsored by a company and this company blatantly abused the fact that he felt tied to them.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi InaroundRoom

I guess I hit it lucky! I was sponsored on a 457 by a nursing agency. AFter 4 months the home I wa splaced at was complaining about the agency costs so I said "buy me out and give me a job!". The following week they took over my sponsorship +gave me a full time position.

After 18 months they got me PR. The place I work for is great! Im still there and thats from Feb 05!

457 visas have their place.

They (usually) work for:

- those who are happy to spend time working for a known employer, ie an Australian office of an existing employer

- those who have a permanent visa (eg general skilled) pathway available without the need for recourse to the employer, and who use the 457 visa as a means of getting to Australia more quickly

- those being head hunted into senior positions with larger employers in Australia

- those who have a fairly cast iron assurance that the 457 employer will facilitate permanent residency through the Employer Nomination Scheme or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

457 visas are also attractive in a tax sense, as they allow overseas source income and capital gains to be exempted from the charge to tax in Australia. The tax free Living Away From Home Allowance is also often made available in the salary package of 457 visaholders.

Best regards.

Archived