Adding de facto partner to 457

Genghis Khan

Hi everybody,

Got my 457 visa granted a couple of weeks ago. Been living with my girlfriend here since July last year. She is an international student here, from Colombia. I want her to join me on my visa as a de facto partner. I didn't apply with her as de facto on my 457 application as I understand that you need to be living together for over a year and I applied in mid April. Can I add her now? What form do I need to get? What do I need to do next? We have evidence of living together, rent receipts, joint bank account, electricity bills, photos.

I suggest you contact your employer and ask them to write a letter to DIAC stating that they accept the employers liabilities of adding your de facto to your 457 visa. You will then have to complete an application form using the TRN you were given for your own visa application. Might be a good idea though to contact DIAC at the Business Centre where your visa was processed, in case the process has changed since friends had to do this 2 years ago.

• 2 years later...
It worked! We're still here, thanks!

Hi Genghis,

I'm just wondering what sort of evidences you provided to prove your de facto relationship. I'm currently on 457 as well and about preparing paperwork to apply for ENS Permanent Visa. As part of the application, my partner will be included.

So, since DIAC accepted your de facto relationship, just wondering how did you go about it?

Thank you very much for your time.

Guest myaccessaustralia

Hi - department puts a more of weight on evidence of co-habitation, you generally need to show at least 12 months of co-habitation prior to lodgement. So you want bank statements, bills, letters etc addressed to you n your partner at your common address. Preferably, these documents should be addressed to you both rather than just one of you.

Also, if applicable, you should submit evidence of joint bank accounts, liabilities such as mortgages or loans, joint leases etc. This shows that you are not only living together but have joint assets n liabilities

• 2 years later...

Archived