should you give up the booze for medical?

Guest Shreen

Guest Shreen

Heu guys,

Should you give up the booze before your medical? Got mine next week and worried about liver tests! My job is very social so I drink too much, I'm trying to give it up but have been unsuccessful so far! Just wondering if anyone else had given up the booze and if it makes a difference?

Thanks!

Heu guys,

Should you give up the booze before your medical? Got mine next week and worried about liver tests! My job is very social so I drink too much, I'm trying to give it up but have been unsuccessful so far! Just wondering if anyone else had given up the booze and if it makes a difference?

Thanks!

I really doubt giving up today will affect the condition of your liver between now an dnext week :)

Guest Davidgolf

i dont remeber having a liver test when we had our meds 3 yrs ago maybe i was too drunk to notice lol but as phoenix said i dont think just not drinking for the week will make alot of diffrents good luck

Guest CraigandZoe

Jeez, I don’t think they are expecting you to be an Olympic athlete or anything :)

If they are then I don’t stand a chance! Hahaha

Guest Shreen
If your going to turn up pissed for the meds ,i would have some polos to suck.

eddie:err:

Ha ha! I'm not that bad! Just have to go to gigs with work and lots of events with free drinks! Just wondered if anyone had given up the drink for their medical? But you guys are right, one week won't make a difference but it will make me feel better if detox before!

Guest mandisfam

Hi, We were on holiday when we had our meds done. I took a box of red wine with me, so I was drinking every evening leading up to my meds. Personally, it doesnt make any difference, they dont breath test you lol and they certainly dont test your liver...so I wouldnt worry too much. I guess if you do drink a lot regularly there is a slight chance your blood pressure might be higher than average, but not enough to cause problems with your meds, unless you are alcoholic drinking 3 bottles of wine a day....lol

Mandisfam

Heu guys,

Thanks!

I'd be more worried about the fact that you have been unsuccessful in giving it up. That sounds like you are more than just a social drinker, it sounds like a dependence.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest CraigandZoe
Ha ha! I'm not that bad! Just have to go to gigs with work and lots of events with free drinks! Just wondered if anyone had given up the drink for their medical? But you guys are right, one week won't make a difference but it will make me feel better if detox before!

Do you work for a record label or concert promoter then?

Guest Working to fish

I think if you are going to gigs ,then there might be people smoking funny stuff and getting up to no good (if you know what i mean)

If i were you i would lock myself away until the meds are done.

There is to much temptation around you i think.

May God be with you on this one .

It may help to carry a bible and Mm some garlic OH ,and my be a cross with you at all times before the meds .

Wish you luck.

eddie:eek:

Just have a drink at weekends (it gives you something to look forward to) or if its a very special occasion (like being granted a Visa :o) have an orange juice at the gigs, tell them its a vodka and orange if you feel uncool, detox, if it makes you feel better, the main thing is to feel at ease when you go for your medical, you dont want high blood pressure, they dont test your liver at the moment, but im sure that will change in the future, somebody quote me if im wrong but dont they test your liver on a New Zealand Visa medical?

Guest Working to fish
Just have a drink at weekends (it gives you something to look forward to) or if its a very special occasion (like being granted a Visa :o) have an orange juice at the gigs, tell them its a vodka and orange if you feel uncool, detox, if it makes you feel better, the main thing is to feel at ease when you go for your medical, you dont want high blood pressure, they dont test your liver at the moment, but im sure that will change in the future, somebody quote me if im wrong but do they test your liver on a New Zealand Visa medical?

Are you MAD ,i am trying to keep the poor women away from temptation and you are telling her to drink.:eek:

eddie:wink:

Guest Working to fish
The blood test is simply for HIV as far as I am aware.:unsure:

Nar ,thats what they want us to think :confused:

eddie

Guest Working to fish

Our Father who art in heaven

Hallow be thy name

Thy kingdom come

Thy will be done

On earth as it is in heaven

Give us this day our daily bread

And deliver us from evil

For thyn is the kingom, the power, and the glory

For ever and ever

Amen.

eddie:wacko:

:wink:

Guest rachbarlow

I think alot of peeps on here would fail if they tested for alchol, as that is what is keeping us sane through this visa process!!! LOL!! I for one will go through detox and start powerwalking about a month before!!!

Guest Shreen
I'd be more worried about the fact that you have been unsuccessful in giving it up. That sounds like you are more than just a social drinker, it sounds like a dependence.

Love

Rudi

x

Thanks for your concern :) But I think I may have made it sound worse than it is! I do go ages without drinking, for example I would not drink if I'm at home, I don't have a glass of wine in the evenings after work or even alcohol in the house (bit of gym buff as well and would not waste all that hard work after a class!). But if i'm out and drink is on offer I find it hard to say no! and in the weeks leading up to the medical I have had lots of events, hen do, parties, gigs etc. I did manage one night withjust diet coke and orange juice lol. Thankfully, we are doing our medicals the week before Reading Festivals! My friend's oh that applied for a defacto visa gave it up before his and it made me paranoid about mine and wondered if anyone did the same? If they don't really test it, I guess it does not matter but I'm gonna go to the gym everynight this week and not drink as it will make me feel better about the tests!

Guest Shreen
Do you work for a record label or concert promoter then?

I work for a big music company! Just using it as an excuse lol! But lots of events to go to and always down the pub on fridays lol!

Thanks for your concern :) But I think I may have made it sound worse than it is! I do go ages without drinking, for example I would not drink if I'm at home, I don't have a glass of wine in the evenings after work or even alcohol in the house (bit of gym buff as well and would not waste all that hard work after a class!). But if i'm out and drink is on offer I find it hard to say no! and in the weeks leading up to the medical I have had lots of events, hen do, parties, gigs etc. I did manage one night withjust diet coke and orange juice lol. Thankfully, we are doing our medicals the week before Reading Festivals! My friend's oh that applied for a defacto visa gave it up before his and it made me paranoid about mine and wondered if anyone did the same? If they don't really test it, I guess it does not matter but I'm gonna go to the gym everynight this week and not drink as it will make me feel better about the tests!

Now how does that song go!!! "I'm just a girl who can't say no" LOL!! I'm really glad it's not a drink problem....just a will power problem :wacko:

Good luck with the meds.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Samfire
Heu guys,

Thanks!

Hi Shreen! I had the very same concerns as you coming up to my medical (which I passed with flying colours and we have been granted our visas). I'm a social drinker, but I suffer from anxiety, and under severe times of stress, I tend to drink a lot more than I should!!! As you are well aware, applying for PR visas is about as stressful as it gets, so I was lushing constantly over the last few months, trying to unwind!!!! I had standard bloods done in the doctors about 8months ago, which showed up fatty liver deposits, and I was asked by the GP if I drank a lot. This freaked me out, but as I am on other medications, he reassured me that it may not be because of alchohol, that it may be caused by a number of things, so needless to say that I was worried about the medicals because I knew that I was drinking too much leading up to them.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, they took a urine sample and did standard test with the plastic test stick (glucose, protein, key tones etc.), and to determine if there was possibly any infection at the time of the medical. I was told my urine sample was clear. The bloods are for HIV purposes only (and hepititis if you have had a tatoo done). Rest assured, that you will not be tested for alchohol consumption! You can have your bevies, just don't have them the night before the medicals. Also, I take milkthistle on-and-off. It helps the liver to purge toxins and keeps you healthier if you have a tendancy to drink too much. You should try this! I get mine in liquid form at Holland and Barrett. It's better than taking the tablet form. Good luck with the meds and let us know how you get on! P.S. Don't worry!!!!

Archived